2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 01-31-17, 04:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

What do you have between the receiver and your amplifier? The receiver pre-out voltage might not be enough for the input sensitivity of the amplifier. Happened to me, I have a Yamaha receiver with two EP1500 feeding two SI18's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
ClevelandFreeman wrote: View Post
What do you have between the receiver and your amplifier? The receiver pre-out voltage might not be enough for the input sensitivity of the amplifier. Happened to me, I have a Yamaha receiver with two EP1500 feeding two SI18's.
The crown amps I have do have selectable input sensitivity .. I will get a clip signal on the unit when turned up . It ended up snowing last weekend so no sonotube build got started but I did decide I had nothing to lose by ported my 22" cube sealed cabinets I build . It did help with output . Still not seeing a lot of Xmas even with the new crown xls2502 Amp hooked up now
post #33 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:13 AM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

Sounds like the

Yamaha front speakers are set to LARGE instead of SMALL in speaker config ( so its not going to drive the Sub output)
or
Yamaha is running in some DSP mode like Pure Direct (also will not drive the sub output)

post #34 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 11:47 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
creed wrote: View Post
The crown amps I have do have selectable input sensitivity .. I will get a clip signal on the unit when turned up . It ended up snowing last weekend so no sonotube build got started but I did decide I had nothing to lose by ported my 22" cube sealed cabinets I build . It did help with output . Still not seeing a lot of Xmas even with the new crown xls2502 Amp hooked up now
Well, I though I was on to something lol. I hope you figure it out. I have my SI's in 10 CUFT sonotubes and they are pretty good.
post #35 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Well, I though I was on to something lol. I hope you figure it out. I have my SI's in 10 CUFT sonotubes and they are pretty good.
Are they musical in a 10 cuft sonotube .. I assume they r good on movies
post #36 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Are they musical in a 10 cuft sonotube .. I assume they r good on movies
Movies are outstanding. My living room is pretty big, open to the dining room. Music, not so, since the boxes are tuned kinda low, 18HZ. While they are not exactly fart boxes when it comes to music, I would tune a lot higher if they were strictly for music.
Attached Thumbnails
2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed-dscn1277.jpg  

post #37 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I've read your build ..lol..
Where would be the happy medium on tune for music /ht 50/50
post #38 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I've read your build ..lol..
Where would be the happy medium on tune for music /ht 50/50
I am sure some of the more experienced members can chime in, although I prefer sealed for music. I know that in a properly designed system, you would not be able to tell the difference sonically by ear between a sealed and a ported system. Good luck on your build! Take lots of pics.
post #39 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I was utterly unimpressed with a sealed set up ..
I could always order a bunch of area Ports and plug one depending on what I am watching or listening to
post #40 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 08:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
I am sure some of the more experienced members can chime in, although I prefer sealed for music. I know that in a properly designed system, you would not be able to tell the difference sonically by ear between a sealed and a ported system. Good luck on your build! Take lots of pics.
The main thing with big volume ported boxes is their hump at tuning when measured in-room. There will be a lot of output at tuning which will overshadow the rest of the music system. Sure the large enclosure low tuned boxes look good on paper but they rarely measure flat in-room as there is almost always a spike at tuning.

With how much stroke the HT's are capable of I would run them in a sealed dual opposed sealed alignment and use a LT on them or simply EQ them flat to 20 (or below if your EQ/DSP lets you). But if you're after flat-out output and you're fine with missing ultra low end I would put the HT's in moderate sized ported enclsoures tuned to 25 or 27 Hz.

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.