2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 01-31-17, 04:06 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hemet, CA
Posts: 284
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

What do you have between the receiver and your amplifier? The receiver pre-out voltage might not be enough for the input sensitivity of the amplifier. Happened to me, I have a Yamaha receiver with two EP1500 feeding two SI18's.
ClevelandFreeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Quote:
ClevelandFreeman wrote: View Post
What do you have between the receiver and your amplifier? The receiver pre-out voltage might not be enough for the input sensitivity of the amplifier. Happened to me, I have a Yamaha receiver with two EP1500 feeding two SI18's.
The crown amps I have do have selectable input sensitivity .. I will get a clip signal on the unit when turned up . It ended up snowing last weekend so no sonotube build got started but I did decide I had nothing to lose by ported my 22" cube sealed cabinets I build . It did help with output . Still not seeing a lot of Xmas even with the new crown xls2502 Amp hooked up now
creed is offline  
post #33 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:13 AM
Elite Shackster
 
RTS100x5's Avatar
RTS100x5
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Plano, Tx.
Posts: 1,205
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Sounds like the

Yamaha front speakers are set to LARGE instead of SMALL in speaker config ( so its not going to drive the Sub output)
or
Yamaha is running in some DSP mode like Pure Direct (also will not drive the sub output)
RTS100x5 is offline  
 
post #34 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 11:47 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hemet, CA
Posts: 284
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Quote:
creed wrote: View Post
The crown amps I have do have selectable input sensitivity .. I will get a clip signal on the unit when turned up . It ended up snowing last weekend so no sonotube build got started but I did decide I had nothing to lose by ported my 22" cube sealed cabinets I build . It did help with output . Still not seeing a lot of Xmas even with the new crown xls2502 Amp hooked up now
Well, I though I was on to something lol. I hope you figure it out. I have my SI's in 10 CUFT sonotubes and they are pretty good.
ClevelandFreeman is offline  
post #35 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Quote:
ClevelandFreeman wrote: View Post
Well, I though I was on to something lol. I hope you figure it out. I have my SI's in 10 CUFT sonotubes and they are pretty good.
Are they musical in a 10 cuft sonotube .. I assume they r good on movies
creed is offline  
post #36 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:25 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hemet, CA
Posts: 284
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Quote:
creed wrote: View Post
Are they musical in a 10 cuft sonotube .. I assume they r good on movies
Movies are outstanding. My living room is pretty big, open to the dining room. Music, not so, since the boxes are tuned kinda low, 18HZ. While they are not exactly fart boxes when it comes to music, I would tune a lot higher if they were strictly for music.
Attached Thumbnails
2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed-dscn1277.jpg  

ClevelandFreeman is offline  
post #37 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

I've read your build ..lol..
Where would be the happy medium on tune for music /ht 50/50
creed is offline  
post #38 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 12:48 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hemet, CA
Posts: 284
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Quote:
creed wrote: View Post
I've read your build ..lol..
Where would be the happy medium on tune for music /ht 50/50
I am sure some of the more experienced members can chime in, although I prefer sealed for music. I know that in a properly designed system, you would not be able to tell the difference sonically by ear between a sealed and a ported system. Good luck on your build! Take lots of pics.
ClevelandFreeman is offline  
post #39 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

I was utterly unimpressed with a sealed set up ..
I could always order a bunch of area Ports and plug one depending on what I am watching or listening to
creed is offline  
post #40 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 08:37 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Electrodynamic's Avatar
Nick
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cornelius, NC
Posts: 375
Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Quote:
ClevelandFreeman wrote: View Post
I am sure some of the more experienced members can chime in, although I prefer sealed for music. I know that in a properly designed system, you would not be able to tell the difference sonically by ear between a sealed and a ported system. Good luck on your build! Take lots of pics.
The main thing with big volume ported boxes is their hump at tuning when measured in-room. There will be a lot of output at tuning which will overshadow the rest of the music system. Sure the large enclosure low tuned boxes look good on paper but they rarely measure flat in-room as there is almost always a spike at tuning.

With how much stroke the HT's are capable of I would run them in a sealed dual opposed sealed alignment and use a LT on them or simply EQ them flat to 20 (or below if your EQ/DSP lets you). But if you're after flat-out output and you're fine with missing ultra low end I would put the HT's in moderate sized ported enclsoures tuned to 25 or 27 Hz.

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
Electrodynamic is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
18s , ht , impressed , si

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome