2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #41 of 49 Old 02-01-17, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: 2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed

Quote:
Electrodynamic wrote: View Post
The main thing with big volume ported boxes is their hump at tuning when measured in-room. There will be a lot of output at tuning which will overshadow the rest of the music system. Sure the large enclosure low tuned boxes look good on paper but they rarely measure flat in-room as there is almost always a spike at tuning.

With how much stroke the HT's are capable of I would run them in a sealed dual opposed sealed alignment and use a LT on them or simply EQ them flat to 20 (or below if your EQ/DSP lets you). But if you're after flat-out output and you're fine with missing ultra low end I would put the HT's in moderate sized ported enclsoures tuned to 25 or 27 Hz.
Are moderate size enclosure for the ht would be 7 cubes ? .I also sent you a email yesterday nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 Old 03-31-17, 11:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
creed wrote: View Post
Are moderate size enclosure for the ht would be 7 cubes ? .I also sent you a email yesterday nick
Ported? 5.5 to 6 ft^3. No need to go larger.

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.
post #43 of 49 Old 04-22-17, 03:26 PM
Senior Shackster

The problem is your Onkyo isn't producing enough power through the RCA signal to the Crown Amp. Same exact thing happened to me. Your fix is the Art Cleanbox Pro,it's about $60 on Amazon. This will take your signal from your Onkyo and boost it and send it to the Crown Amp.

Basically your Onkyo outputs a consumer grade signal and your Crown amp needs a professional grade signal.

Once I hooked up the Cleanbox, I didn't turn the outputs down on the amp or receiver, and it literally blew all of the picture frames off the wall in my living room. So make sure if you get a Cleanbox, to turn down all of the gains on your Onkyo and Crown Amp. I think another term for it on your Onkyo would be subwoofer output level.

post #44 of 49 Old 05-21-17, 08:29 PM
Senior Shackster
Myles

Or better yet, get a MiniDSP 2x4 HD Balanced. You'll need a DSP anyway. Set the internal jumper to the higher sensitivity setting. Due to human error, I accidentally had my HPFs turned off last night while watching Interstellar at extreme volume. My iNuke 6K blew one of the drivers (it still works, but with a clank clank clank when driven w/ pink noise). By shear dumb luck, one of the inputs was turned down by 10dB, so one of my SI18HT's survived. I just ordered a replacement for $150-shipped. I'll never know how Nick makes a nickel at that price. Wish I could afford the 18HST .

Check my build. Replicate it faithfully and you will *NOT* be writing "not too impressed" again. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

<-- SOLD!

post #45 of 49 Old 05-21-17, 08:44 PM
Senior Shackster
Myles

And for the record, I completely disagree with Nick regarding LLT, at least for movies . No hump in the model of my sonosub build. In fact, the downward glide meshes well with room gain at lower frequencies. And it's a moot point anyway since you should clean it all up with EQ anyway (MiniDSP, or other).

The real problem with ported for music is the group delay. That will make the deep bass lag the rest of the music by a few ms. *But*, it's only a problem up to tune-freq*2. So for a 15Hz tune, everything 30Hz and up is the same as sealed.

I'm not sure how the waterfall plots will compare for ported vs. sealed all other things being equal, but I'm pretty sure they will be the same. Make sure you read the LLT post in the ported-build sub-forum.

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75...aled-vs-ported
Attached Thumbnails
2 si ht 18s ... not too impressed-2017-05-21-20_38_04-file.php-745a-639-.png  

<-- SOLD!

post #46 of 49 Old 12-03-17, 11:31 AM
Shackster
emilime75

Haven't read the entire thread, but a couple of things to check;

A. Input voltage selector on amp should be set to .775 - HIGH if going direct between AVR RCA and AMP RCA.

B. How many interconnects between AVR and AMP?
1? Set amp to INPUT - Y. Connect each driver to its own AMP channel.
2? Set amp to STEREO. Connect each driver to its own AMP channel.

C. Crossover. I believe, by default, there is a high pass enabled at 30Hz on the XLS line of amps. Check to see if it is. Disable it,
choose NO CROSSOVER.

D. Limiter? Disable it.

See where these things get you. The XLS1502 rated 525 watts at 1k isn't a ton of power. At sub frequencies, it's probably closer to 500, along with a very poor damping factor for bass/subs. Really don't understand why people keep choosing these, what I feel are inferior amplifiers, for sub duties...but, that's a whole other discussion.
post #47 of 49 Old 12-03-17, 03:20 PM
Elite Shackster

RTS100x5

In Onkyo SPEAKER SETTINGS - make absolutely sure that Front Speakers are set to SMALL...
post #48 of 49 Old 12-03-17, 03:31 PM
Shackster
emilime75

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
In Onkyo SPEAKER SETTINGS - make absolutely sure that Front Speakers are set to SMALL...
Good point. Either that, or make sure "Double Bass" is turned on.
post #49 of 49 Old 01-09-18, 07:29 AM
Senior Shackster
Bubba

Quote:
Wooderson wrote: View Post
And for the record, I completely disagree with Nick regarding LLT, at least for movies . No hump in the model of my sonosub build. In fact, the downward glide meshes well with room gain at lower frequencies.

https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/75...aled-vs-ported
For the record, Nick didn't say there would be a hump in the MODEL. He said in the real world.