Behind the wall rss390-hf ported or 4th order - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 48 Old 01-16-17, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System
Re: Behind the wall rss390-hf ported or 4th order

The current box is about 11cf and sounds nice and gets low. I modeled it in winisd and it appeared flat to 18 if I remember right. But Im also not very good at using winisd. I have room for 11cf in the space, however I have found that if I push it I do need to monitor excursion. Maybe something in between would get the job done?

A reputable member of the boards (or several) also modeled the existing box and gave it the ok. But its not a pretty looking thing, and I'd love a stealthy install.

-Colton
ED Cinema 6 cabinet package for sale

Media room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Dayton 15" rss390hf build v.2 (behind the wall)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Drifte; 01-16-17 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 01-16-17, 05:21 PM
Shackster
Billy Lane

My System

Model the bigger box and go to the eq filter tab and make i highpass at 17.5 hertz 2nd oder then make a parametric eq at24 hertz (just guessing) with a (q of 1.4) and about 2.5-3 db of boost and you will see the excursion . Power of 500 watts . Not knowing the boost frequency and q we are just guessing unless someone else knows the parameters for sure . I am not trying to be a pain , i have run my ported subs with no highpass and not the right amount of boost . It scared me sooo bad when i heard the sub bottom wham wham loud .
post #13 of 48 Old 01-17-17, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

I appreciate the input. I had this sub bottom out one time, I know the gain was set too high due to issues with an old receiver being stuck in whatever settings it was. Terrible scary noise, so Im extra careful now.

I'll have to DL WinISD pro I think to get those features. I'll try to model it today, see what works out. Port length is going to be somewhat of an issue I think, but I have the space to make the box bigger to compensate too.

-Colton

Media room

post #14 of 48 Old 01-17-17, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

spare few minutes tried modeling some different ideas to see how it fits. End up with about 8cf after driver and port displacement..though Im looking it over and questioning the drivers displacement I entered.

3x10x22" slot port

-Colton

Media room

post #15 of 48 Old 01-17-17, 04:09 PM
Shackster
Billy Lane

My System

I wish I knew how to transfer my modelling from winisd to here . Im guessing .2-.3 cubic feet . There have been guys that say a s;ot port will end up tuned lower than modelled . Usually about 2 hertz lower . In my sons box for the ho's we wanted 30 hertz but it is about 28 hertz using test tones and watching excursion. I have also read by several people that the xmax for the hf series is more like 16-18mm . I do wish your dayton amp would not have died because then we know specifics of highpass and boost. the 8 cubic feet box and those port dimensions show a tuning of 19.5 but I bet real world will be 17ish , are you figuring any fill in your modelling because it will help lower a half a hertz or so . Some the things I am saying are quotes from some very brilliant people so i am not just spouting off .
post #16 of 48 Old 01-17-17, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

One answer to a high-pass filter or bass boost on the bash on parts express:
"The BASH 500 Watt Sub amplifier does not contain a selectable low frequency roll off switch. It is pre wired to provide -0- db of boost and can be modofied at R17 & R18 to obtain +1db - +5 db of boost."
"Unfortunately, we do not stock the amplifier with the bass boost already in place, you would have to make the modifications."
"Yes, it is centered around 18 Hz." (subsonic filter)
"The high pass filter on the Bash amplifiers is set at 18 Hz."

I read through a all of the Q&A on PE and it seems the amp has no bass boost at all, and 18hz highpass.

I fully intend to use fill, I always have and it seems to make an improvement in sound (i cant say exactly what it is).

This will also be located in the corner of the room, I think with room gain, it may outperform its existing 11cf box.

-Colton

Media room

post #17 of 48 Old 01-17-17, 07:54 PM
Shackster
Billy Lane

My System

Did u get the pro version going ? With no boost and highpass at 18 it should be a very nice combo . I modelled it tuned to 17.5 because if you use a slot port and add some wall dampening you will be tuned to highpass and never have to worry I dont think . Are you planning on mounting it in the box or outside ? Some say it can start to rattle .
post #18 of 48 Old 01-18-17, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

Im debating mounting the amp on its own so I can more easily access it. I havent had any issues with it mounted in the enclosure so far though. I have winisd pro alpha, and am having issues with it shutting down, I have to force quit the program.

-Colton

Media room

post #19 of 48 Old 01-18-17, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

Modeling some options for this enclosure, Im really only doing slot port since port velocity was too high on the existing box. Fitting a 6" or 8" port would be tough.

Should I be worried about the small dead space beside the slot port?
front view

top view

complete minus top

complete

Just wondering if the vent could be done in a better way.

-Colton

Media room

Last edited by Drifte; 01-18-17 at 09:52 AM.
post #20 of 48 Old 01-18-17, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

I will probably do dowel bracing internally, and add a 1/2" thick front baffle for stiffening help as well. I will probably get some 1/2" thick adhesive backed foam strips and go around the front of the box when it comes time to install so that whatever contact it makes with the wall is hopefully canceled.

The vent outside edge will get a nice round over from the router. I do need to double check the port length because of the 90, I cant recall the change in length a 90 creates.

I may move the port to the side in line with the sub rather than below it. Then I can utilize a 16"x25" vent cover and height is a limiting factor. I had to take into account the trim work in the listening space.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...57915515829862

-Colton

Media room

Last edited by Drifte; 01-18-17 at 11:06 AM.