Behind the wall rss390-hf ported or 4th order - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 01-12-17, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System
Behind the wall rss390-hf ported or 4th order

Im struggling to get a good box design that can place my existing sub (Dayton rss390-hf 15) in the closet and vent into the room. 4th order working within 11cf I get a peaky response between 20-40hz. Ported response is still a fantastic 20hz up and flat..But how does that then vent into the room. At least without a giant 15" hole in the wall?

the space

The sub shown can almost fit as it is behind that wall its currently in front of. Thats the location I plan to build the new box for. Its already the a/v cabinet so it works well. But I need the sound only going to the media room, not the room behind it.

Its a closet in one of the spare bedrooms I converted to hold the a/v equipment. The space below the shelving is 24" high, 20" deep and 42" wide.

Any ideas? My next option is a THT table or something because I dont want to lose any output, just try to keep the space functional. The existing box is a bit of an eye sore.

version one subwoofer build found here:; http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...00-t-line.html

Bash 500s amp: http://www.parts-express.com/bash-50...w-rms--300-752

Dayton RSS390-hf 15: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-468

-Colton
ED Cinema 6 cabinet package for sale

Media room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Dayton 15" rss390hf build v.2 (behind the wall)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Drifte; 02-01-17 at 01:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-12-17, 06:48 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: Behind the wall rss390-hf ported or 4th order

ARe you trying to use the whole space that you have shown in your bottom picture?

If I HAD to use this location I would just build an IB cabinet. IB can do well in a closet but its a matter of knowing what your wants are.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #3 of 48 Old 01-13-17, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
ARe you trying to use the whole space that you have shown in your bottom picture?

If I HAD to use this location I would just build an IB cabinet. IB can do well in a closet but its a matter of knowing what your wants are.
I dont recall how this driver measured IB. However, the a/v shelving is open to the main room, I dont think it would be as separated as needed to be a true IB setup. It doesnt have to use the whole space, I just measured it and that gets me 11.6cf of potential volume.

VAS is 7.49, 4x that is about 30cf. I dont think I can swing that.

-Colton

Media room

Last edited by Drifte; 01-13-17 at 08:23 AM.

post #4 of 48 Old 01-13-17, 09:38 PM
Shackster
Billy Lane

My System

Are you apposed to putting an air return vent over the driver and port exit ? You can make a window type frame to mount enclosure to the wall .
post #5 of 48 Old 01-14-17, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

Quote:
billy lane wrote: View Post
Are you apposed to putting an air return vent over the driver and port exit ? You can make a window type frame to mount enclosure to the wall .
Thats about all I can come up with, is somehow have the box sealed up into the room but not bolted to the wall. The thing I cant figure out, is the speaker is 15", even a large air return vent is probably 10X24. Im not sure how to tie those two together.

maybe build out the box in front of the driver to allow it movement but shrink down to vent size. Hopefully that wouldnt have to negative of an effect on the sound. Do the same with a port and bolt the box to the concrete

-Colton

Media room

post #6 of 48 Old 01-14-17, 07:18 PM
Shackster
Billy Lane

My System

My return vent is 23"x23" . I saw that you reworked your sub box in another thread . You really need your vents right by the sub so they can fire through the wall . I saw in another thread you put the ports on other end of box . I'm not sure how to get the port energy into room without making an open cavity for them or extend them which we both know wont work . If your sub amp is indeed dead would you consider a berhinger pro amp like the dsp versions. you can limit power , eq , crossover , and control phase . I have one and like it !!
post #7 of 48 Old 01-15-17, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

Quote:
My return vent is 23"x23" . I saw that you reworked your sub box in another thread . You really need your vents right by the sub so they can fire through the wall . I saw in another thread you put the ports on other end of box . I'm not sure how to get the port energy into room without making an open cavity for them or extend them which we both know wont work . If your sub amp is indeed dead would you consider a berhinger pro amp like the dsp versions. you can limit power , eq , crossover , and control phase . I have one and like it !!
Well if I can get a vent cover that size I shouldnt have any issues! I reworked the box from the t-line to lower tuned ported box, and switched from the dayton amp to the bash. I wish I had gone with a pro amp! I can build a new box to fit the new space and I think I have some ideas for directing the sound through the vent, without coupling the box to the wall and rattling everything.

-Colton

Media room

post #8 of 48 Old 01-15-17, 01:47 PM
Shackster
Billy Lane

My System

Do you have the highpass frequency and amount of boost that the bash has ? It is important to have it when designing a box and tuning . I have read info that most of them have a 12db octave highpass at 17-18 hertz . Most have boost around 22-25 hertz 1.5db-3.5db .
post #9 of 48 Old 01-16-17, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Colton

My System

Quote:
Do you have the highpass frequency and amount of boost that the bash has ? It is important to have it when designing a box and tuning . I have read info that most of them have a 12db octave highpass at 17-18 hertz . Most have boost around 22-25 hertz 1.5db-3.5db .
I have looked for that information and found different results. I hope its a model that boosts in the 20s not 30hz region. I think the highpass is at 18hz on this model.

Im thinking I can do a 20" square vent below the a/v rack, and put a slot port coming out of the a/v rack lowest open area. That is assuming I dont have room for 2 4" ports directly next to the driver.

or do this 24x14 vent. the ports would have plenty of space next to the driver and may look nicer.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPEEDI-GR...4-FG/202542262

-Colton

Media room

post #10 of 48 Old 01-16-17, 03:24 PM
Shackster
Billy Lane

My System

Yes i would put the ports and driver next to each other if possible , just so 1 vent covering will work . What size of an enclosure are you wanting to use ? Do you have winisd to do some modelling ? I have been comparing a 6 cubic foot tuned to 17 and a 11 cubic foot tuned to 16 . The bigger box will play lower but you may have excursion trouble if you push it hard .