Budget build, What do I need to look for? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 3 Old 02-06-18, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Budget build, What do I need to look for?

Really not sure what I need to be looking for. If I was buying a sub for a vehicle I would not even consider a 15. I have considered CT Sounds Bio car audio subs. These are low end subs but still think they are a big upgrade over a $100-$200 prefab sub box setup. 12" is $25 while the 15" is $60 both could be had for slightly cheaper and this is shipped. Amps I am looking at is the 100w and 250w Dayton plate amps. Sealed or Ported I am not sure. As for speakers I have low end polk speakers. Also need a receiver and center at this point. This is a spring/summer project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-11-18, 09:36 PM
Shackster

Re: Budget build, What do I need to look for?

Hope you find what you want.

For home theater it would help to know your room size and what your desires are. Ported subs are normally larger, but can deliver more bass than sealed.

For HT I would recommend at least trying for 20 hz. I have found that more than enough bass is wanted after awhile....
post #3 of 3 Old 12-14-18, 01:31 AM
Senior Shackster
Myles

Re: Budget build, What do I need to look for?

You want the most cubic inches of displacement per dollar (Sd * Xmax), and Fs of 25Hz or lower (lower is better for HT).

Here are some samples to get you started. I will add an Fs column. Let me know if you find any other good candidate subs to add. That Peerless is a beast, but not exactly "budget".

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- SOLD!