Subwoofer design to match my speakers please - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 12-21-18, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Subwoofer design to match my speakers please

Hey guys,

So Odd requesy for our DIY guys.

I have some Mordaunt short 800 Series speakers (Center, L/R Rear Dipoles and back surrounds)

Now the subwoofer that came in this series is rare than rocking horse (insert proverbial)...I have never actually seen one and only know of its exsistence through its model number (MS-826S).

Not a one photo on google (or any other search engine) I even emailed Mordaunt short themselves and they don't even have any photos or info! (due to them selling a lot of assets)

So I decided I am going to build one using a different MS drive but rebox it to match & blend my exsisting speakers.

So my question is, How would you design a subwoofer to match these very unique looking speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-817-1.jpg  

Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-817-2.jpg  

Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-817-3.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-21-18, 08:22 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Subwoofer design to match my speakers please

Are you looking to match the cabinet for the oval driver?

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 6 Old 12-22-18, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Are you looking to match the cabinet for the oval driver?
I will be using a circle driver, Most subwoofers are normally cubed so I don't think trying to force the "oval look" would work too well for a subwoofer its more the design for the cherry facia/baffle

post #4 of 6 Old 12-28-18, 11:48 AM
Shackster

Ron

Hey CraigRobbo,

My thoughts on the planning, design and fabrication of an enclosure to match your existing speakers are as follows (please forgive the details given and the omission of others, since I do not know the level of your planning and fabricating skills).

• Measure your new driver and note its diameter and height. With your measurements in hand, visit your favorite AV dealer. Note the dimensions of several subwoofers on display.
• Using the dimensions of those subwoofers as a rule of thumb, construct an enclosure. Finish the outside of the box to your preferences. I know you said the oval look of the facia/baffle would not work, but IMHO that look is central to the design of the enclosure. Having said that.
• Fabricate and finish a cherry facia/baffle to match the idea conveyed by your existing floor standing speakers. Make sure its dimensions are in scale with the enclosure.
• Install the facia/baffle on the face of the enclosure and cut a hole in it to fit the driver.
• Install the driver on the face of the enclosure. Making sure all wires coming from its terminals are long enough for you to work in and out of the box if future tweaking is needed.
• I might also cut ports in the back or front of the enclosure. Keep the plugs so that you can tune the sound of the enclosure to your preference.
I have not gone into detail about stain, glue, packing; screws, grommets; and what type of feet the new enclosure would have. All of those things are part of the fun. Good luck.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-28-18, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Robbo

Quote:
2TinEars wrote: View Post
Hey CraigRobbo,

My thoughts on the planning, design and fabrication of an enclosure to match your existing speakers are as follows (please forgive the details given and the omission of others, since I do not know the level of your planning and fabricating skills).

• Measure your new driver and note its diameter and height. With your measurements in hand, visit your favorite AV dealer. Note the dimensions of several subwoofers on display.
• Using the dimensions of those subwoofers as a rule of thumb, construct an enclosure. Finish the outside of the box to your preferences. I know you said the oval look of the facia/baffle would not work, but IMHO that look is central to the design of the enclosure. Having said that.
• Fabricate and finish a cherry facia/baffle to match the idea conveyed by your existing floor standing speakers. Make sure its dimensions are in scale with the enclosure.
• Install the facia/baffle on the face of the enclosure and cut a hole in it to fit the driver.
• Install the driver on the face of the enclosure. Making sure all wires coming from its terminals are long enough for you to work in and out of the box if future tweaking is needed.
• I might also cut ports in the back or front of the enclosure. Keep the plugs so that you can tune the sound of the enclosure to your preference.
I have not gone into detail about stain, glue, packing; screws, grommets; and what type of feet the new enclosure would have. All of those things are part of the fun. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply!

My fabrications skills are relativly good, i am confident at building the sub and how to houild / put it together, the only aspect I am sturggling with is the design to match, i did come up with a few designs but I am not dead certain on which to go with.(if any of what i designed)
Attached Thumbnails
Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-assembly4-extended.jpg  

Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-assembly3.jpg  

Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-assembly2.jpg  

Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-assembly1.jpg  

Subwoofer design to match my speakers please-assembly4.jpg  

post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-18, 03:13 AM
Shackster

Ron

Your first and last design ideas are closer to the elliptical motif of your Mordaunt short 800s. I like those two designs better than the others for that reason. For clarity, I will refer to those designs as #1 and #5.
•Design #1 sits slightly higher off of the floor than #5 and I think that makes it a more interesting enclosure. I also like that those designs are departure from a cube shaped enclosure.
•I also see that you’ve drawn a notch at the bottom of the facia/baffles for the Mordaunt MS logo. I suggest you put your own initials there instead.
Other than those two thoughts, I say go for it!