Single LLT vs dual sealed vs dual small ported - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-19, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Single LLT vs dual sealed vs dual small ported

I built a 12 cubic foot LLT about 3 years ago and I am very happy with it. My issue now is that there is not much transparency with a single sub. If you sit in one corner the bass is amazing, but it drops off drastically as you move away from the corner. The LLT was my first build and I did not really consider dsp being able to give a flatter response for a smaller sub. Now I am wondering if I should do a smaller sub on each end of my couch for a more consistent level across the entire seating area. I am using a single Dayton 15 classic and an inuke 1000dsp capped at 225w. I LOVE how low it goes and how flat the response is. Do you think I would be as happy with a pair of smaller subs EQ'd for flat response? The other option is to keep the LLT and add a smaller sub at the other end of the couch, but I would have to get a mini dsp to EQ the other sub separately. There are a lot of options running through my head, but I don't have the experience to know which I will be happiest with. Any input is appreciated. Thanks. (Btw, another LLT is out of the question)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-24-19, 12:55 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Single LLT vs dual sealed vs dual small ported

Integrating disparate subs is a pretty tricky process as their differences make tuning a difficult proposition. It's a weakest link in the chain type of thing, and in this case the smaller subwoofers will likely have a negative impact on the sound you currently enjoy so much. Having them nearfield will help mask the imbalance between their respective capabilities but it probably won't mitigate all of it. The issues aren't insurmountable, but I suspect you will have some sizable challenges to overcome.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-19, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

I think I may go for a sealed 15" and try to EQ it to best match the LLT. I would just go with the dual 15" sealed, but I can't part with the sub I just built 3 years ago. My only other option would be to turn the LLT into an actual storage chest and put the driver into a sealed box. For now I might just pull the driver and put it in a makeshift sealed box to see how it sounds compared to my current setup and go from there. I know that my sub suits my needs, but I have never listened to a good sealed sub, so I don't know what to expect.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-28-19, 08:06 PM
Adhanda

How did it work out?
post #5 of 5 Old 09-01-19, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
Integrating disparate subs is a pretty tricky process as their differences make tuning a difficult proposition. It's a weakest link in the chain type of thing, and in this case the smaller subwoofers will likely have a negative impact on the sound you currently enjoy so much. Having them nearfield will help mask the imbalance between their respective capabilities but it probably won't mitigate all of it. The issues aren't
insurmountable, but I suspect you will have some sizable challenges to overcome.
Right you are. I used a super cheap od 15 in a 4 cubic foot box and it sounds ok on its own (although a bit "boomy"), but I can't handle the different frequencies coming from two different sources intermittently. I am actually impressed at the spl output from the sealed sub though. Just for testing, I have it set to only pick up around 30hz and lower for big explosions in movies because the higher frequencies are just too much from the sealed setup. I could spend more time tweaking the EQ, but I think I may end up just getting a pair of sealed units with some solid EQ and call it good. I really do not like the sealed and LLT combo.