Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

subwoofer equalizer?

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  thejck 
#1 ·
i have been searing various forums to try to find this answer.
what is the current favorite product for sub eq.
i have been reading threads from the last 10-15 years and am having a hard time trying to keep the timelines straight.
the BFD used to be the go to but its no longer available?
The FBD2496 and the DEQ2496 are options.
The miniDSP is the cool cat in town.
I am tired of seaking perfection but if i have about 150(give or take) bucks to spend on this what is the goto (used is ok)?
Are there pro and cons to all of them.
Should I look for a used BFD which seem to be hard to find.
Are there other foxes in the pen I am missing.

#2 ·
from further reading it seems
FBD2496 is adequate
DEQ2496 might provide a bit more low end boost via LT that would be useful in a sealed design when the box size starts to limit the output (correct me if i am wrong)
the minidsp is a lot more user friendly
for sub usage with a pro amp
is the mini dsp balanced the best option?
is there an advantage to using the minidsp hd?

#3 ·
from further reading it seems

FBD2496 is adequate

DEQ2496 might provide a bit more low end boost via LT that would be useful in a sealed design when the box size starts to limit the output (correct me if i am wrong)

the minidsp is a lot more user friendly

for sub usage with a pro amp

is the mini dsp balanced the best option?

is there an advantage to using the minidsp hd?

I used a BFD for a long time to great results. The learning curve is a little steep, but there’s a ton of knowledge here, and once you get the hang of it it’s pretty easy. I did make rca to T/S cables, but you can buy them at a music store for less than 10 bucks each.
I now use a minidspHD and it’s the one i recommend. The balanced version isn’t really necessary and the HD has more resolution and higher output voltage that’s the nonHD.
The minidsp is much more granular, and has 4 output capability but costs a lot more too. For ME, it was worth it.
I DO have my old bfd, and would be willing to sell. Where are you at?

#6 ·
A friend of mine let me borrow a Behringer 8000 mic along with a MobilePre USB preamp.
i found the mic calibration file on here.
Using REW I am trying to determine if the sound card calibration is needed. The guild says its not needed for USB mics. this mic is technically connected via USB so I am not sure if that applies.
If i need to calibrate it how do i connect the laptop soundcard and the usb pre?

#7 ·
A friend of mine let me borrow a Behringer 8000 mic along with a MobilePre USB preamp.

i found the mic calibration file on here.

Using REW I am trying to determine if the sound card calibration is needed. The guild says its not needed for USB mics. this mic is technically connected via USB so I am not sure if that applies.

If i need to calibrate it how do i connect the laptop soundcard and the usb pre?

Iirc the calibration would apply to using the 3.5mm min jack. Posture usb is straight.

#8 ·
If I use my ep4000 amp in stereo mode to drive 2x 2ohm channels for my sub.
i want my ep4000 in parallel mode so that each channel is playing the same right?

I have 2 seperate audio setups in my basement.
1. stereo preamp
2. 7.1 pre processor

Can i feed the sub output of both of these 2 pres into seperate channels of the FBQ2496 so I can equalize them seperatly.
then if i feel both the outputs of the fbq2496 into the 2 inputs of the ep4000.

Since the amp is in parallel mode will it play whatever channel has a signal from the fbq on both the channels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.