...in need of enclosure advice regarding 15-inch woofer - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 06-12-09, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Tattz

Re: ...in need of enclosure advice regarding 15-inch woofer

I can certainly swing $140. Exodus brand, you say?

and Mike P, my system is a home studio. I have the bass hooked up directly into the mixing board post FX. Basses can get as high as 125hz or so, but mine, as I said is tuned to a low G, which is equivalent to 24hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 06-12-09, 05:24 PM
Senior Shackster
Fredm

i think Mike was talking about you claiming the driver goes to 1 Hz distortion free.

Off-topic (but I guess it is what you want to talk about) I play guitar and don't see any reason to tune that low. Bass amps cannot reproduce that at all. A 5 string bass tuned 2 full steps down seems over the top. You are never going to get the volume for anyone to hear anything you are doing with that, especially at a concert. They will hear the high frequencies from the string if you pop it, but that is about it.
post #13 of 30 Old 06-12-09, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Tattz

my appologies in advance for any spelling/grammar/logic hiccups in the following reply, i'm running on little sleep at the moment.

My guitars are just one tone lower than Korn's 7-strings, and same goes for the bass. Yes, I suppose that it's pushing things, but that's part of my sound. I don't think a step lower than Korn is that extreme.

If you're referring to the physical capabilities of bass cabinets to reproduce 24hz, then I can see why you'd doubt that they can reproduce that, but then again, I never trusted speakers that come installed in any amplifier or cabinet. Call me crazy but, at least for guitars, a bunch of midrange drivers will never be able to reproduce the richness of a guitar's tone that a multi-way sound system can, especially if the drivers are microphoned. Live venue subwoofers are usually 18-inch and there's at least 8 of them (for small venues). Those would be able to create good SPL at 24hz, but not below.

But I digress:
When we're talking about bass below 90hz or "sub-bass", there is a common misconception that the human ear can actually hear any of those frequencies. What actually occurs is our eardrums stop hearing the actual frequencies, but begin to "feel" the sound. That causes a perceptive illusion of sound, which is no more than the organism's natural reverberation at best. Our love for these frequencies, thus, come from us being able to "feel" the frequencies, and their subsequent effects on the physical and emotional states of the listener, hence my specific interest in the 24hz threshold.

I do plan on doing research on a few options of drivers for this project, so any suggestions would be wonderful. Also, is there any way that a sealed box would aid the driver's performance, or do I need to become more acquainted with ported enclosure designs?

post #14 of 30 Old 06-13-09, 07:14 PM
Shackster
philcav7

If I am not mistaken, the lowest note of a naturally tuned 4 string bass is 41HZ, are you saying that you are using a 4 or 5 string bass? I just would have never imagined that a 5 string bass, tuned down two steps, would be 24Hz....Crazy.

Sorry for going off topic.
post #15 of 30 Old 06-13-09, 08:58 PM
Senior Shackster
Fredm

Quote:
Tattz wrote: View Post
My guitars are just one tone lower than Korn's 7-strings, and same goes for the bass. Yes, I suppose that it's pushing things, but that's part of my sound. I don't think a step lower than Korn is that extreme.

If you're referring to the physical capabilities of bass cabinets to reproduce 24hz, then I can see why you'd doubt that they can reproduce that, but then again, I never trusted speakers that come installed in any amplifier or cabinet. Call me crazy but, at least for guitars, a bunch of midrange drivers will never be able to reproduce the richness of a guitar's tone that a multi-way sound system can, especially if the drivers are microphoned. Live venue subwoofers are usually 18-inch and there's at least 8 of them (for small venues). Those would be able to create good SPL at 24hz, but not below.
Korn uses it mostly for the slaps to create the treble sounds. Those 18" subs likely use a 30Hz high pass filter to avoid damage.
post #16 of 30 Old 06-14-09, 10:15 PM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Greets!

400-1035 measured specs from ~ a decade ago, but have no idea if they're relevant today:

25 Hz Fs
12.25 ft^3 Vas
11.7 Qms
0.87 Qes
0.81 Qts
7 ohms Re
132.73"^2 Sd
0.19" Xmax
3.3 mH Le

Anyway, we're talking at least a ~17 ft^3 cab to get this driver to 'be all it can be' down into the 20s even with a small room's gain..........

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #17 of 30 Old 06-15-09, 08:18 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Tattz,

That Radio Shack is not going to do any justice to 25hz material IMO.

Can you clarify a bit here? Are you going to be playing live bass or guitar through the proposed cabinet? Will you gig through it at all, or is it just for a music listening / studio monitoring type of set-up in which you will run your own downtuned music through and leave it in the house?

What's your budget for a different driver, does it have to be 15" and what is the intended range it will cover (related to paragraph 1)? 24-120hz, or do you need it to cover a wider range like 24-3khz? Basically will it be X-overd?
post #18 of 30 Old 06-15-09, 04:01 PM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
That Radio Shack is not going to do any justice to 25hz material IMO.
Greets!

You'd be surprised what it can do in a max flat impedance TL and some low end room gain, but as I said, the trade-off is a huge cab.

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
post #19 of 30 Old 06-16-09, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Tattz

fredm, Korn's bassist does do a lot of slap, but he also plays the bass, and i can name tracks in which he does so all the way down to that low A tuning.

GPM, thanks for the help, much appreciated. I'll plug those parameters into Winisp and see what it gives me. also, i don't care how big the enclosure it has to be, i'll make space for it.

ricci, glad to clarify. I will not be using the woofer live, this is just for my studio monitoring/ recording. I will be touring, but until I can afford the system I need for good live results, I'll be sadly depending on the specific PA systems that'll come wiht each venue. Sad indeed, the bass will be severely damaged live, but that's what i gotta live with until my next album's release.

I'm selling a bunch of speakers, so my budget for a new driver lies within the 150 to 200 dollar range. I also have in my stash a rockford fosgate...(checking brand)...rfp3812 12'' car subwoofer. All I know is that 15 inch woofers are much better at reproducing the lowest of the low than 12 inchers, on average, thus why I went for that size, but i'm here to learn, so correct me if i'm wrong. I didn't plug the fosgate in winisp...would it be a better option for this project than the 15 inch driver? Also 24 to 120 is the perfect range I need it to cover.
post #20 of 30 Old 06-16-09, 02:41 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Do you care how big the enclosure is? Can you put a maximum external size that you would like to stay at? What will you be using for amplification?

For maximum bang for the buck and since it's relatively easy you should probably go ported. For a range of 24-120hz and your likely listening habits, a Peavey LoRider 18 would fit the bill. It's an 18" driver and you wanted a 15" but for bass more really is more. May as well go all the way. I'll have to model up a box alignment later. The plus is if you build it right you could use the same cab for gigs, practice, moderate PA subwoofer duties, etc. Multi use FTW.