...in need of enclosure advice regarding 15-inch woofer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 30 Old 06-08-09, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Tattz

...in need of enclosure advice regarding 15-inch woofer

Hi all, this is my first post on these forums.

I have recently purchased a 15 inch subwoofer from The Source (formerly RadioShack) which of course came with no thiele/small parameters or anything that would help me determine what kind of enclosure would best work for it. I called both customer service and their distributors, and nobody had any information on even a user manual for this thing.

As a musician, i require good spl at 24hz and up...ideally if I can achieve good volume at 20hz then I'd be happy. Also I'm aiming for a good flat response across the bass frequency spectrum.

Here's what information i can provide about the driver. It's rated at 100watts of RMS power at 8 ohms impedance. It has 29.9oz magnet, it's supposed frequency response is 25hz-2khz (though i've tested it with a full frequency sweep and it goes down to 1hz without any distortion or clipping problems). Oh yeah, and the cone material is polypropylene.

On the Source's website, a user suggested a 7 cubic foot enclosure (though he didn't specify whether it should be ported or sealed), and my original plan was to go for a sealed enclosure since those tend to provide the flattest bass response.

Also, if it helps, the room it'll be in (my studio) is very small, about the size of a small apartment's bedroom.

Any help or advice would be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance for you time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-08-09, 03:16 PM
Senior Shackster
Fredm

Re: ...in need of enclosure advice regarding 15-inch woofer

I don't think 100RMS is going to get you flat to 20Hz or even 25Hz. My advice is another driver or bolt it into a box and go from there.

This looks like the same specs

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc60/60539.htm

Found it here

http://support.radioshack.com/produc...5&Name=speaker components&Reuse=N
post #3 of 30 Old 06-08-09, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tattz

I see. what driver would you suggest I look into. Any examples you can recommend? I bought this driver dirt cheap, and I'm selling quite a few speakers, so I'm open to the idea of buying a new driver anyway.

post #4 of 30 Old 06-11-09, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Tattz

wow...thanks for the help, everyone. 43 visits to this thread and counting and nobody else has anything to contribute
post #5 of 30 Old 06-11-09, 10:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Been busy. What would you be willing to spend for a sub and an amp?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #6 of 30 Old 06-11-09, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Tattz

What is the least expensive option, I suppose. I'll save up if I need to, and like I said, my room is very small and i'm gonna be here for a few years, but I'm still attending university, so i doubt I'll really need that much power to fill up the room with sound. i just need to reach that 24 hz . My instruments are tuned low since I have 7-string guitars and equivalent basses. my G flat translates into 24 hz.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-12-09, 09:05 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

What guitar amp do you have? Subs are usually 80hz and down, is that what you're after?

post #8 of 30 Old 06-12-09, 09:50 AM
DerekG

I'd suggest this 15" woofer:

[img]http://www.pdphoto.org/jons/pictures..._bg_111701.jpg[img]

post #9 of 30 Old 06-12-09, 10:12 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Bad link.

post #10 of 30 Old 06-12-09, 12:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Tattz wrote:
though i've tested it with a full frequency sweep and it goes down to 1hz without any distortion
No.

What specifically is your budget? Exodus 15" for $140 is probably one of the better deals out there at the moment.