$300 budget for Driver and Amp. Need suggestions! - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 44 Old 08-19-09, 08:38 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System
Re: $300 budget for Driver and Amp. Need suggestions!

I would try to have the port down firing but then you would have to add some sort of legs to give the port clearance. I also read somewhere that a down firing port can also minimize port related noises.

Mike makes good point about watching that nothing get dropped down the port if you place it on top. If you are going to have it on top I would really recommend some sort of grill to protect from anything falling in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 08-19-09, 08:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

There won't be any port related noises with this setup with an air speed that's maximum 16 m/s at 18 hz. As mentioned above, a grill over the port would be a good idea.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #33 of 44 Old 08-19-09, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Good idea! Will do.

post #34 of 44 Old 08-20-09, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

OOOK. Here is my finished blue print. Let me know what you experts think! I the baffling in the middle I had to cut in half or else it would come in contact with the pvc pipe. Suggestions are welcome, and needed!

Thanks!

edit: Grr, came up small let me fix it...
Attached Thumbnails
0 budget for Driver and Amp. Need suggestions!-blue-print.gif  

post #35 of 44 Old 08-20-09, 09:07 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Looks good, you're done. Looking forward to your build thread!

post #36 of 44 Old 08-20-09, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

is that enough internal bracing??
post #37 of 44 Old 08-20-09, 10:41 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Yes.

post #38 of 44 Old 08-20-09, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Woo Hoo! Going to start working it on it shortly. My VERY last questions (I promise!):

1) How much fiberbglass insulation do you recommend?
2) What kind of glue do you recommend?
3) Is it okay to screw things together? (I never really noticed many screws on people's subs)

THANKS SO MUCH!!!
post #39 of 44 Old 08-20-09, 12:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

1. A couple inches thick glued to the walls of the enclosure. Another option would be egg crate foam sold as a mattress pad at WalMart for $15-$20. Much easier to work with.

2. I've always used a glue gun with hot glue to glue egg crate foam. Others have used 3M spray on adhesive. Make sure you reads the label on proper use, you have to spray both the cabinet wall and the insulation.

3. Wood glue and screws can be used. For screws use 15 inch long coarse thread drywall screws. You have to drill a pilot hole and countersink first so the MDF doesn't split. Do some test holes on a couple pieces of scrap MDF first until you get it right. The pilot hole needs to be a hair smaller then the shank of the screw.

post #40 of 44 Old 08-20-09, 01:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Looks like a subwoofer build to me...Pics of the work as it progresses are mandatory.