Massive Sono Maelstrom planning - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-09, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Adam C

Massive Sono Maelstrom planning

Hi all. I'm new to the Shack but have been hanging around AVS Forum and HT Guide for a long time. I see this site as the best place for DIY Subwoofer help. So anyway, onto the fun.
I just purchased a 6' section of 28" ID Sonotube and 5' of 8" ID Sonotube from a local supplier. I have a home theater with a false screen wall which will hide the finished subwoofer, so size isn't an issue. The ceiling is just over 8 ft. I've been playing in sonosub.exe and WINISDPro to figure out sizes and tunings, but i figured I'd toss it out there to see if anyone had any ideas. I plan to use a Maelstrom - X 18" and a EP2500 for power. My theater is 20' x 12' and currently is using a PE Dayton 150w 12" subwoofer. I plan on this being a big increase. I will get a HPF as well, not sure which one though.

Any ideas? This is for pretty much 98% Movies. The only music would likely be a music DVD or live concert DVD.

Thanks in Advance,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-09, 01:23 PM
Senior Shackster

dradius

Re: Massive Sono Maelstrom planning

That should be a very nice upgrade from the Dayton. I built 2 sonos and heard different things from different people. In the end, I did not flare the ports and I also did not double up on the end caps. A year or so later and they still sound great and I have no regrets. Good luck
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-09, 09:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

20 cu. ft. tuned to 14.5 hz would be scary. With room gain it would be 122db down to 15 hz. It would definitely be an eye opener compared to the Dayton 150w 12".

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-09, 10:43 PM
Kevin

My standard advice, is to design around the most important things first. For HT performance, that is 18Hz and up.

That is counter to advice you often get on the forums. That is "ok" because everyone has a different take on the situation. My take, is that I'd rather have the port contribution helping where I use it the most. Most content is >30Hz, let alone <20Hz so that is where I focus my design efforts and money. It also tends to keep the cabinet size smaller. A 10 cubic foot Maelstrom tuned to 18Hz is large enough and even though you are hiding it, a smaller cabinet is easier to move around.

The perceived (and measured) output of the higher tuned device will trump the really low tuning frequency and I think most people are stunned by it's extension, and overall HT performance. But it is a personal choice. Pick your poison.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-09, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Adam C

Thanks for the replies! I am going to take these figures and run them through Sonosub and WiniSD and see exactly what i want to do. Just ordered the sub and amp so I should get this project underway soon!