Crossover Confusion - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 09-25-09, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
DQ

Crossover Confusion

Hi Guy's, Im a complete beginner who wants to build a set of 3way speakers as a present for my sons up coming 18th. I want to build them from the ground up. In the research I have done, I see the greatest challange being designing & building the 3w XO, as I am a carpenter and not an electrical engineer. Can you please give me some advice on where I should look to get easy to understand info on the subject. I will me using Peerless speakers, as they are what I can afford & are obtainable here in Oz.

DQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-25-09, 01:05 PM
Senior Shackster
mjg100

Re: Crossover Confusion

I would not recommend tackling a new design from the ground up for a first speaker project. Success at that is a lot harder than you think. Buy a kit. There are several out there that are good ones. Since you are a carpenter I would get one of the kits that provides everything except the cabinet.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-09, 01:08 PM
Kevin

Quote:
DQ828 wrote: View Post
Hi Guy's, Im a complete beginner who wants to build a set of 3way speakers as a present for my sons up coming 18th. I want to build them from the ground up. In the research I have done, I see the greatest challange being designing & building the 3w XO, as I am a carpenter and not an electrical engineer. Can you please give me some advice on where I should look to get easy to understand info on the subject. I will me using Peerless speakers, as they are what I can afford & are obtainable here in Oz.

DQ
Well... I'm sorry but there just isn't an easy solution. Most people spend years learning how to design loudspeakers and invest not just hundreds of hours into the process, but many thousands of dollars on test equipment, failed designs, parts, software and educational materials.

Speaker building is a gas, lots of fun and I encourage anyone intent on learning to jump in with both feet. But the bottom line is that it is a long and laborious process before you get something out the other end of the process that sounds better than a commercial loudspeaker.

Kits are a good solution for people who don't want to do all the design but want to build something. My advice is to at least follow a design already done by a competent designer.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

post #4 of 9 Old 09-25-09, 04:15 PM
Senior Shackster

fbov

+1 on proven designs. Focus on your fabrication skills and leave the design to the experts. Here's a great resource compilation, and I bet you cna find a Peerless-based design somewhere!
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=211558

Have fun,
Frank
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-09, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
DQ

Hmmm, seems like the challenge is at least as big as I thought, probably bigger, what's life without a challange. I'll look for a pre made cross over for the Peerless, I can get a 2 way from a locally made kit, but from all the info Ive read so far a 3W is my goal.

Thanks

DQ
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-09, 08:50 PM
Senior Shackster
mjg100

Will the speakers be used with a subwoofer at some point? If so make sure that the woofer crossover point is high enough (around 200Hz) so that the woofer will be doing some work once the speaker is crossed to a sub at 80Hz or so.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-09, 07:44 AM
John

While I am new to this forum I agree about time and money... I remember my lumenlab projector project .. I spent hours and hours and may 700.00 on material and mess up's.. Same with speaker designs ... I am 43 years old now and I have been messing with stereo equipment since way back in the mid 80's .. I have built so many designs of speakers that I thought would sound great and they turned out to sound like .. I think the speaker building kits are the way to go as well.. On the other hand if you have the tools and money build away/// Makes sure you allow for those little mess up's..
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-09, 11:12 AM
Senior Shackster

fbov

Quote:
DQ828 wrote: View Post
Hmmm, seems like the challenge is at least as big as I thought, probably bigger, what's life without a challange. I'll look for a pre made cross over for the Peerless, I can get a 2 way from a locally made kit, but from all the info Ive read so far a 3W is my goal.

Thanks

DQ
DANGER Will Robinson DANGER pre-made crossover sighted DANGER

You will do yourself a great disservice by using a pre-made crossover. Pre-made XOs are designed with no specific drivers in mind, typically using textbook values and assuming drivers with purely resistive loads and flat frequency response. It would be a lot cheaper to throw a series cap on the tweeter, perhaps with a resistor to pad it down, and the result would not sound much different.

A proven DIY design will have a custom XO that matches the drivers' frequency, phase and impendence responses to yield a flat FR and impendence with minimal phase shifts. Same with a custom kit; build a pretty box that fits the design's requirements and the visual appeal is all you, but the sound is crafted by someone who knows what they're doing.

Also, if you're goal is a 5.1 set-up, you don't need a 3-way. There are a lot of very good 2-way design that will get you low enough to merge with a subwoofer. In fact modern drivers have response and distortion levels to make excellent full-range 2-ways; I rarely run my sub because I built my NatP MTMs so they have bass extension into the subsonic range. It's your call, but it's also 1/3 greater cost and complexity that I only see justified if you have extreme power needs or a really big room.

Have fun,
Frank
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-09, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
DQ

Danger all right, you know what they say about a little bit of knowledge (it's a dangerous thing) I am not working towards a 5.1, the 3w is strictly for music, maybe a sub later to deeper the base.

My latest thought re crossover, is to get Madisound to design it for me, I have sent them an email to see if they ship speakers etc to Oz

Any body have any thoughts on good speaker combos Im looking to spend about $600.00 US on the speakers T,M,W?