DIY sub noob....performance qustions - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-09, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Joe

DIY sub noob....performance qustions

I want to build a pair of subs for my living room/Movie room but am stuck on the design part. I am still unsure about what I want to build but have a few ideas floating around.

Here are my questions:
1st. Is there any performance advantage in going with a sealed Sonotube vs cube box design?

2nd. What about a Sonotube that uses a wider tube, which would allow for a shorter profile? say 36 w x 24" h.

My goal is make a couple of end tables out of these subs for the WAF. That is what brings up the comparison and height questions.

I will probably use something from the Exodus Audio line for the sub, which one would be dependent on what design I go with.

These would used for 98% Movie and 2% Music and my room is 1738 ft³ but opens up to the kitchen and hall, so a total of 3764 ft³. (If you need this.)

Thanks for your help!
Joe

Last edited by musikpirate; 11-13-09 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-13-09, 07:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: DIY sub noob....performance qustions

There is no advantage in going with a sealed Sonotube vs cube box design. There is a big performance advantage going with a ported design over a sealed design.

Wider tubes give a lower profile.

State what the maximum cabinet dimensions can be along with your budget for subs and amps and we'll see what your options are.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-13-09, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Joe

1st. Thanks.

2nd. I know a wider tube gives for a lower profile. But would putting a 15" driver in a 30"wide x 20" tall (+/- 8 ft^3) tube be better or worse than say a 24" wide by 31" tall (+/- 8ft^3)? Would it yield different results?

As far as the end table design goes I was thinking no taller than 26 inches with legs. Probably a Tempest in these. Looking for something like the 8ft^3 sealed that diycable has listed in their application guide to the Tempests.

Thoughts are rolling through my head of a Maelstrom 18 in a 36" wide by 13.5" tall, sealed, and covered in padding and fabric or leather an autamun (sp). What about that?

I don't have a budget right now. I like the price on the Tempest X2 15. I am going with a Behringer amp, probably ep2500 or whatever meets my requirements for the sub(s). What about the EPX line, anyone using these?

Thanks,
Joe

post #4 of 6 Old 11-14-09, 04:02 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
But would putting a 15" driver in a 30"wide x 20" tall (+/- 8 ft^3) tube be better or worse than say a 24" wide by 31" tall (+/- 8ft^3)? Would it yield different results?
The results would be the same.

Quote:
Thoughts are rolling through my head of a Maelstrom 18 in a 36" wide by 13.5" tall, sealed, and covered in padding and fabric or leather an autamun (sp). What about that?

As long as the internal volume is enough for the sub then no problem.

We're all in this together!

post #5 of 6 Old 11-14-09, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Joe

Ok, Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-15-09, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Joe

Ok, one more question about sealed cube boxes.

Is it better to use double layer wood all the way around instead of just on the front baffel? Could you use less braces if you do the sides this way, if any?

Thanks,
Joe