$400 CDN to spend, what do you recommend? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 26 Old 01-10-10, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
dfn
Shackster
dfn

$400 CDN to spend, what do you recommend?

I need a sub. I started looking around, and came to the conclusion that an eD A2-300 would fit the bill. However, since I live in Canada, the cost went from $350 USD to $515 CDN (after shipping etc.). The same went for other subs (HSU, SVS, BIC). I did not like the idea of paying 150-200% of the US price, so I started looking into DIY kits.

I know nothing about this, I've never done anything similar before, and I'm not exactly "handy" so treat me like a total newbie.

With $400 CDN, can I get a kit (or parts) that will outperform (or be on-par with) the A2-300?
Size is not an issue, and looks are not an issue. The only issues are cost and performance. The primary use will be movies/tv followed by music, about a 70-30 split.

I've looked at the following:
Quartet10 - $365 shipped + materials + labour/time
Quartet12 - $474 shipped + materials + labour/time
MJ-18M, 2 4" flared ports, and BASH300 - $491 shipped + materials + labour/time

I'd only consider the ones going over my budget if they are *better* than an A2-300. I've looked at graphs, and they seem better, but like I said, I am a newbie. Given that this would be my first DIY project, and my requirements above, what parts/kits would you recommend? I'm not "married" to any option I have right now, so I'm considering everything. The only thing is, IB = not an option.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice, and recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-11-10, 07:52 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: $400 CDN to spend, what do you recommend?

Do you have any wood working experience? Do you have the tools to make accurate cuts in MDF? If building a box isn't a problem for you then $450 would get you an excellent sub for the money.

The MJ-18M in 12 cu.ft. net volume tuned to 20 hz with three 4" flared ports and a Bash 300 watt amp would out perform a A2-300 without question. The sub is $175 shipping included and get the amp and ports from CSS.

0 CDN to spend, what do you recommend?-mj18m.jpg

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 26 Old 01-11-10, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
dfn
Shackster
dfn

Thanks for your reply.

You're right, it is actually cheaper than I calculated. I don't have experience in cutting MDF, but I can get help there. I'm not too worried about that. Would you say the Mach5 option is the best one, at least from the ones I listed?

post #4 of 26 Old 01-11-10, 02:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Yes, the MJ-18M will give you the most output if you don't mind the box size. If you go with the triple 4" flared ports you'll have enough port area that you can upgrade the amp in the future and get more output.

post #5 of 26 Old 01-11-10, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
dfn
Shackster
dfn

Sounds great, thanks for your help.

Is there a set building/construction plan for the MJ-18M that I should follow?
post #6 of 26 Old 01-11-10, 06:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You can design the cabinet here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...me-calculator/

post #7 of 26 Old 01-11-10, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
dfn
Shackster
dfn

Whoa... nice. Thanks.

I still don't know where/how to start though. Should my volume be 13 cu. ft? That's one of the specs listed on the MJ-18M page. Do I just figure out what volume I want, and then try making a box the appropriate size? What about the braces? And ports? If I just order 3 4" ports from creativesound, won't I have to worry about their lengths?
post #8 of 26 Old 01-12-10, 12:48 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The net volume should be 12 cu. ft. To that you add the dispacement of the ports, sub and bracing to get the total internal volume. 12 .cu. ft. tuned to 20 hz means you use the three 4" ports as they are, which is a 17" length. No cutting or adding on for a simple build. Bracing will depend on what the cabinet dimensions are, post what your dimensions are and we'll figure out what you need.

post #9 of 26 Old 01-12-10, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
dfn
Shackster
dfn

Thanks for still guiding me along, heh.

Before I get my dimensions, the 4" ports on creativesound are 12" long, or at least that is what the page says. That means I should email them to see if they have 17" ports first, right? Or was your 17" length referring to something else?
post #10 of 26 Old 01-12-10, 01:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

My mistake, I though the ports were 17" long which they need to be for your sub. Contact CSS to see if they sell port extensions.