Mach 5 IXL 2.2 seems off - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 02-06-10, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

Mach 5 IXL 2.2 seems off

Hey! i see you've got experience with the Mach5 brand, I've got a 18 inch ixl 2.2 that just seems way off. The driver has much lower sensitivity than advertised and the T/S were all way off. I'll have to get the measurements again, but i ended up putting it on the back burner. Its been over a year now with no use on it, and the best i've been offered was a recone... it seems more like a motor issue to me and i highly doubt a recone would fix the sensitivity issue.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-06-10, 04:27 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Calling out Mike P.

I'm not sure what the issue would be. I have a pair of IXL-18's, a IXL-15 and a IXL-12, all of them perform as expected. I would be curious to see what your measurements are.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-10, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

well, i had it tested by mwmkravchenko on here, and he said the spl was specing to something like 79db 1w/m which is quite a bit off of the 89db 2.83v. the MMS was way off and the FS was higher than expected. It seemed so much like a motor problem that when mark from mach5 offered me a recone i didnt even bother, woulda cost me 50 bucks just to ship it out. it really does bug me though, i paid good money for the driver and its factory . btw, on a side note, im the guy who designed to mach 5 audio logo. lol. Im gonna have to borrow marks wt3 so i can run it again, but it was totally off. so much so he suggested i buy a new driver. i did. sdx 15.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-08-10, 03:52 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Mine are the original IXL-18.4 single coil, I've had no issues with output from them. They are spot on. If the SPL is out 10 db either there is something seriously wrong with the sub or the testing is faulty. If it were me I'd retest the sub, if possible.

We're all in this together!

post #5 of 10 Old 02-08-10, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

Well, i am going to have to test it again, once i do i will post my results here so you can see what is going on. It would be a a beast of a sub for a car if i could get it to spec right but if its only 79db theres no way im gonna use it.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-10, 04:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

I'd have to think that either the driver has something drastically wrong with it (like a motor that is partially demagnetized causing a huge loss in strength) or the tests were faulty.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-09-10, 03:49 AM
Senior Shackster
David Burn

Mine works perfect, have you actually tried it in a box or just tested the T/S? Not trying to be rude but I would be interested to know if you give it a try in an enclosure to see how it performs.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-10-10, 04:46 PM
bjs
Senior Shackster
bjs

Quote:
Binary wrote: View Post
well, i had it tested by mwmkravchenko on here, and he said the spl was specing to something like 79db 1w/m which is quite a bit off of the 89db 2.83v. the MMS was way off and the FS was higher than expected. It seemed so much like a motor problem....
You say the "MMS was way off" and "FS was higher"...so why do you then conclude it is the motor? These aren't dependant on the motor.

If you are thinking motor because the sensitivity is low, then I'd point out that sensitivity is a calculation and it is strongly dependant on MMS and Fs. Measure those wrong and your sensitivity will be wrong.

Therefore, given your MMS is "way off" (an easily controlled parameter in loudspeaker design and hard to make "way off") and your FS too, I bet the driver is fine and it is all measurement error.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-10-10, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Adam

i havent tested it in a box, i have tried a small amount of free air. i'm dead set positive that i'm going to need to measure it again. im hoping its perfect, i love the look/specs of this driver! it just has to work as its supposed to. lol.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-28-10, 09:55 PM
Shackster
Maq

Re: Mach 5 IXL 2.2 seems off

Bump. Any development with this?