New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 25 Old 03-12-10, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System
New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated

Hello All,

I'm planning a new 15" slot ported design, probably based around a Tempest-X2 driven by a 500W plate amp or 1000W standalone amp (haven't decided). The subwoofer will double as an end-table and will be replacing an Epik Valor. External dimensions will be 24H x 20W x 28D, 3/4" MDF, slot port 1.5" x 18.5" x 30", tuned @ 20Hz, internal volume approx. 5.3 ft3. These specs seem to be modeling well in WinISD Pro with this driver using an HPF @ 18 Hz.

So I gave Sketchup a whirl last night for the first time. I've attached the file for review. Is the single brace sufficient? Is there enough clearance between the port opening and the underside of the plate amp? I modeled a 3/8" roundover for the port flares, how important is this radius? Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Edit 3/14/10: Updated plate amp enclosure drawing and added 2" port height version of enclosure for 1000W standalone amp.

PlateAmp (500W)
5.3 ft3 internal volume
20 Hz tune
1.5"H x 18.5"W x 30"D Slot Port
HPF = 18 Hz
Maximum Port Velocity = 15.25 m/s

ExtAmp (1000W)
5.15 ft3 internal volume
20 Hz tune
2.0"H x 18.5"W x 42"D Slot Port
HPF = 18 Hz
Maximum Port Velocity = 15.85 m/s
Attached Thumbnails
New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated-tempestx2_plateamp.jpg  

New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated-tempestx2_extamp.jpg  

Attached Files TempestX2_plateamp.skp (640.7 KB)  TempestX2_extamp.skp (647.5 KB) 

Last edited by dboff01; 03-15-10 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Include Preview JPGs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-12-10, 06:05 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Re: New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design - Feedback Appreciated

1.5" is way to thin for a slot port. 2.5" at least is suggested. Flaring is only useful for looks.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-12-10, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
1.5" is way to thin for a slot port. 2.5" at least is suggested. Flaring is only useful for looks.
I've targeted keeping the port velocity below 25 m/s based on a recommendation from Kevin (Exodus) in a previous thread. Additionally, Kevin posted a sample down-firing design for this same driver with a 1.5" slot port height. This port with 500W doesn't exceed 16 m/s. Is there some reason I shouldn't follow the advice of the driver manufacturer?

I'd rather not have to increase the port height any due to port length/box volume trade-offs.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-13-10, 01:35 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Hi there,

Ive just simulated your sub with 750 watts and with the hpf engaged you will only see max 18.5 m/s velocity so you won't have any issues at all that I can see and at 1000 watts you are at 21 m/s.

With a 2.5" port you would need it to be 52" long and with a 2" port you would need to make it 41" long.

You may want to consider doing a 2" port which will go up 14" up the back of the sub which will be fine but there won't really be room for a 52" length port.

A 2" port will bring it down to 16 m/s and thats with a 1000 watts of input power.

I would go the 2" route mate.

cheers

Graham
post #5 of 25 Old 03-13-10, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
dboff01

My System

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Hi there,

I would go the 2" route mate.

cheers

Graham
I think my plan will be if I use the 500W plate amp, I will leave the port as is. If I decide on the 1000W rack mountable amp I will expand it to 2" as I'll have the back wall free for the extra port length.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve
post #6 of 25 Old 03-13-10, 01:05 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated

Regarding the file you uploaded in your first post, what is a .skp file? I can't open it.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 25 Old 03-13-10, 01:13 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated

Mike,

Thats a google sketchup file. Downlaod Google sketchup for free. Its the best free program you can get. That's what I used to design my subs. Its absolutely brilliant. Download it, you will see what I mean.

cheers

Graham
post #8 of 25 Old 03-13-10, 08:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Thanks Graham, I'll give it a shot.

We're all in this together!

post #9 of 25 Old 03-13-10, 10:24 PM
Kevin

Plenty of people have built the slot ported design. I've not received one complaint about port noise so I think the 1.5" is sufficient. No harm in going bigger if you want the extra margin of safety but I wouldn't obsess over it if you need to keep it 1.5".

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #10 of 25 Old 03-14-10, 01:54 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Personally I would still go for a 2" port and chuck 1000 watts at and get another 3db across the board out of it. With a 2" port and double the power the port velocity will be the same as a 1.5" port and 500 watts. Here's some pics to help you mull over it. You really want to get the best out of it in my personal opinion.

Cone excursion is still in check too.

I agree with Kevin that the 1.5" will be fine but I don't think you will be doing the driver justice with only 500 watts.

cheers

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated-tempest-1.jpg  

New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated-tempest-2.jpg  

New Tempest-X2 15" Slot Ported Design (Sketchup Attached) - Feedback Appreciated-tempest-3.jpg