2 12" VR3 Subwoofers - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-10, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Billy

2 12" VR3 Subwoofers

So, these are the subs I have hooked up to my computer. I use them for YouTube, movies, and music. They were $20 per driver, with a 20 oz. magnet and no known T/S parameters. I tried to contact the company for T/S parameters, but no reply. They're in a 2.1 ft^3 pre-fabricated box I got from my neighbor for free, tuned to about 29 Hz, and they peak at about 34 Hz and extend down to about 27 Hz (deepest subs I own ). They get about twice as loud as our cars stock speakers, and my computer desk happens to be the most bass-friendly corner in the whole house : ). They could do a lot better for two 12's, but, for $40 for both, they're good for a little kick!

Here they are:
2 12" VR3 Subwoofers-subwoofers-1.jpg

Here's a close up:
2 12" VR3 Subwoofers-vr3.jpg

Here's another close up:
2 12" VR3 Subwoofers-vr32.jpg

And here's a blurry picture of them at full excursion... they can only move this much at a few frequencies (subsonic frequencies). At about 20Hz and up, they only move about 5mm.
2 12" VR3 Subwoofers-ful-excursion.jpg

Also, sorry about the quality of the pictures. They were taken with my webcam because I can't find my camera.

Here's a frequency response from my webcam's mic... it's a low quality microphone but from about 100Hz on down, it's actually not half bad... so the waterfall isn't accurate but it looks about right : ).
2 12" VR3 Subwoofers-capture20.jpg

So, what do you think of my setup? Do you think it's good for a first real subwoofer system? Or is it just plain pitiful? I don't know the db's it hits but I'd have to guess around 100 db's at 30 Hz when I really turn it up. Thanks in advance for replies : ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-10, 05:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: 2 12" VR3 Subwoofers

For $40 bucks and a free box you can't complain. Too bad ther parameters aren't known. What brand as a VR3? What are you powering the subs with?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-17-10, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Billy

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've been on the Shack : (.

Anyway, the VR3's are from Roadmaster,I bought them at Wal-Mart, and they can handle 40 watts rms each @ 4 ohms, although they can handle up to 400 watts for a few minutes. Most other people with VR3's (on YouTube) give them about 200 watts peak each... so that's why people blow them really easily. They have a very high vas apparently, because as far as physical strength of the cone movement, it's not very strong (it doesn't take a lot to stop it). In a bigger box with a better amp, these would be decent HT subwoofers. But when I move these to any other part of my house, they only go down to about 40 Hz and aren't that loud at all, but, they'd be somewhat good for a small HT.

Has anyone else experimented with these really cheap drivers?

post #4 of 11 Old 04-17-10, 06:02 PM
Elite Shackster

bambino

40$ is a bargain especialy if they make you happy and get the jod done.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-17-10, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Billy

Do you think putting them in a bigger enclosure would help them get louder? More enclosure = more possible for port area = louder... how big do you think an ideal box would be for these? The sheet they cam with recommended 1.5 to 2 cu. ft. sealed... they definitely struggle in the ported box I have them in, as I can hear higher resonances at high volume. 5 cu ft @ 28 Hz? Good project idea for the far future or no?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-18-10, 06:50 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

There no way to recommend a box size without knowing the T/S parameters of the sub in question. All you can do is experiment with bigger box sizes and see what works best. The recommended 1.5 to 2 cu. ft. sealed is for car audio, not home audio.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-18-10, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Billy

Hmmm... then 2.5 cu. ft. each, ported @ 28 Hz sounds like it would be enough for some nice SQ... more space for these subs to breath is exactly what they need!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-18-10, 04:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

More space also means less power to reach Xmax. It's a tradeoff.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-18-10, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Billy

Oh yeahh... tricky laws of physics... but these subs definitely need more room to breath, as I can hear some effects of over-compression.

Also, would you please take a look at my thread about my homemade driver ?
post #10 of 11 Old 04-18-10, 04:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I just did. You have a question to answer.