what 15 inch driver - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 05-12-10, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Eccentric

what 15 inch driver

I am looking to build a new sub with more headroom and excursion than my previous sub, adire audio shiva 3 (not x). After playing Avatar on blue ray my old shiva threatend to shoot it's voice coil into next year! making loud clacking sounds. So I think I want a good 15 incher with good x-max and low distortion. but it has to go into enclosure no larger than 140 litres.
I listen to music 60% movies 40% Does anybody have any suggestions please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-12-10, 06:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: what 15 inch driver

There are a few popular ones that will work very well, most noticeably the SDX15 from CSS. Unfortunately, I believe they are currently out of stock. One I have direct experience of that will work very well is the AE AV-15X. For best results I would use it in a 140 litre enclosure, with a couple pr's which will tune to 16hz. With 500 to 1000 watts input you will get excellent results IMO.

Just one option.

Another option is an SDX15 I have seen for sale in the classifieds section, which may also be worth a look
post #3 of 20 Old 05-12-10, 12:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Ditto Dan on the SDX15 and some PR's.

Also worth looking at are the Exodus Tempest 15. In the linked page is an application note PDF which has both ported and PR tunings in the box size you mention.

Acoustic Elegance who make some extremely fine drivers also have a couple of 15" units, the AV15H and AV15X that should be considered. They also sell enclosures, PR's and kits for the above that would make sub building very simple and quick. For the kit options, the 1512 looks like a perfect fit; AV15 and dual 18" PR's in 24x24x25" cabinet for $599 the lot (but email and confirm the price).

Edit: I got the prices wrong. The cost above for the AE is simply the enclosure. Here is a thread on the AE forum with prices and specs and pics.

I also didn't notice the OP is in Oz and how much the shipping adds to the driver cost as I know after importing 8 of them.

Sorry 'bout that.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-12-10, 01:02 PM
Elite Shackster

Dont forget to factor in the cost of amplification to any kits you might buy, as amplification will usually be extra
post #5 of 20 Old 05-12-10, 01:34 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

You can't get an SDX15 unless its used. No longer in production, no stock. Working on Gen 2.

I'd give Dayton a look as well. Many like the Ref series very much for music.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-12-10, 01:42 PM
Elite Shackster

mdrake

If you are 60% music you could try a nice pro audio sub like the B&C's than Ricci is playing with.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ld-thread.html

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Half of everything I know is wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know which half."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-12-10, 01:59 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

How much amp power do you have?

We're all in this together!

post #8 of 20 Old 05-13-10, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Eccentric

Thanks guys
Ok since I live in Australia the only real viable options are Ficar IXL 18 or the Exodus tempest x both of which i can get at reasonable prices. Regarding amp power I have a Hypex DS4 400 watt class D plate amp. the Mal x could also be used but it is more expensive and would maybe require a bigger amp.
so Tempest x or IXL 18 ?
post #9 of 20 Old 05-13-10, 12:35 PM
Senior Shackster

Jason, Tempest.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-13-10, 04:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The Tempest-X and IXL-18 model the same in 140 liters tuned to 20 hz. Both are nowhere near their limits with 400 watts.

We're all in this together!