Need a replacement driver - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 06-02-10, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Dusnoetos

Angry Need a replacement driver

I have never been very good at determining the optimum box size for a given woofer. I used to have a program that would do the calculations but I cant seem to find it (recent computer upgrade)

SO... I have 2 questions
1. can some one direct me to a cheep (>free<) program to figure out the best enclosure size based on a woofer's specifications.

2. Thanks to my daughter and a found screwdriver I need a new woofer for my sub box. Since I am on a tight budget it cant be much.
The box is a sealed 1 cu ft box. It has a 120 watt (4Ω) plate amp.
(could any one tell me if THIS one would work)
I am also not apposed to a used driver...

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-02-10, 06:22 PM
Shackster

Juan

Re: Need a replacement driver

Don't fell bad. My golden lab eat a 12" Tannoy when a poppy. And unlike in my case, you might have a future engineer in your hands.

For box/driver modeling you can't go wrong with WinISD.
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

Are you sure the driver is not reparable? Cones can be repaired with papier-mache from behind. And surrounds can be replaced.

Thanks
Juan Herrero

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-02-10, 08:31 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

What was the original sub driver? What would be the maximum you would spend on a new driver?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-02-10, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Dusnoetos

Quote:
astrolopitec wrote: View Post
Don't fell bad. My golden lab eat a 12" Tannoy when a poppy. And unlike in my case, you might have a future engineer in your hands.

For box/driver modeling you can't go wrong with WinISD.
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

Are you sure the driver is not reparable? Cones can be repaired with papier-mache from behind. And surrounds can be replaced.
Cone was destroyed, and it would cost more than the driver is worth to have it re-coned. Esther had about 10 minutes with it before i caught her...
post #5 of 17 Old 06-02-10, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Dusnoetos

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
What was the original sub driver? What would be the maximum you would spend on a new driver?
Well this was the driver in it. Dayton DC250-8 10" Classic Woofer (this driver has been a surprisingly good performer) If I cant find some thing better I will just get an other one of these.

the way my budget is ... $50 would be stretching things...

I am looking at this driver from Parts express that they have on Buy out: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-106 I think it is a name brand but due to the buyout price they don't say it.

Of course the box was originally designed for the Dayton TIT280C-4 10" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer The reason I am not using the titanic is because I ran in to a financial snag after I built the box ---and $150 is out of my budget at this time. (still have diapers to buy.....)
post #6 of 17 Old 06-02-10, 09:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I'm assuming the 120 watt amp has no boost and a hi-pass filter around 20 hz. Yellow is the DC250-8 and orange is the 10" buyout. The buyout has slightly better performance. Both are modeled in 1 cu.ft.

Need a replacement driver-dayton-250.jpg

post #7 of 17 Old 06-02-10, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Dusnoetos

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
I'm assuming the 120 watt amp has no boost and a hi-pass filter around 20 hz. Yellow is the DC250-8 and orange is the 10" buyout. The buyout has slightly better performance. Both are modeled in 1 cu.ft.

Attachment 22085
Awesome. Thanks.

I do believe the amp has some boost... but cant remember specs (trying to look it up but it appears to be a discontinued item.)
By the way... what program did you use to calculate that??

EDIT:
here is a picture of the amp... if it helps I bought it from Parts Express about 10 years ago.
Need a replacement driver-sub-amp.jpg

Last edited by dusnoetos; 06-03-10 at 12:19 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-03-10, 12:47 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I'll try and find some info on the amp.

The modeling program is WinISD Pro, there's a tutorial on it here:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...inisd-pro.html

post #9 of 17 Old 06-03-10, 01:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The amp is a 300-792, it was sold in 1999 as a 120 watt amp. It was later upgraded to a 150 watt amp. The specs say it has 6 db of boost at 30 hz.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...92&ctab=2#Tabs

This was the P.E. web page in 1999:

http://web.archive.org/web/200112111...ctGroup_ID=505

As before, yellow is the DC250-8, orange is the buyout. The boost has more of an effect on the buyout as it is a 4 ohm sub compared to the DC250-8 which is 8 ohms. Quite an improvement for a $25 sub.

Need a replacement driver-dayton-250.jpg

post #10 of 17 Old 06-03-10, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Dusnoetos

How did you find the info about the amp???? I am very impressed. (do you have a stash of old PE catalogs? - I use to... but got rid of them during my last move.)

unless my wife totally veto's it... I will be buying the buyout sub this week.