DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Project Tools and Tips - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Project Tools and Tips

This is where we will list tools we use and recommend for the DIY speaker and sub enclosures. You may also wish to post where to purchase the tool and/or the best price you have found.

Please do not ask questions about the tools in this thread... simply list them and if necessary explain what it is best used for. If you have questions about a particular tool, please start a new thread... otherwise questions posted here will be moved or deleted.

Please also copy your post to this same thread in DIY Speakers... thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Enclosure Tools

This is the router I ordered based on recommendations here at the Shack...

Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25 Horsepower Electronic Variable Speed Plunge and Fixed Base Router Kit

Price: $179.00 shipped from COP Bosch (Reconditioned)

post #3 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Jasper Circle Jigs

Sure, you can make your own trammel to cut holes with your router, but why bother? Jasper Audio (Fellow Houstonians!) made a great jig already. I own the Model 200 and the Model 400. If you only get one, get the Model 200. The jigs are calibrated to be used with a 1/4" straight bit, but any size will do. You'll just have to adjust your cut accordingly.

Only use the Jasper Jig with a plunge router.

The Model 200 will cut circles in 1/16" increments from 2-1/4" to 18-3/16" in diameter.

Model 200

The Model 400 is perfect for tweeters and small midranges, cutting holes from 1" to 7-1/2".

Model 400

post #4 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Clamps clamps clamps...
I own just 4 of these and they were enough to build my Natalie P's without any screws...In fact these clamps WERE my screws The more you own the better

Home depot has these cheap

post #5 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:50 PM
Senior Shackster

Jim

Clamps, most definitely!

Bessey K-Body clamp

The K-Body by Bessey is really nice because the clamping surfaces are large, flat and are parallel. The K-Body is perfect for clamping panels at right angles.

Rockler's "Sure-foot" pipe clamp

The "Sure-foot" has features like a broader base that doubles as a hanger when storing the clamp. I also sprung for the zinc plated pipes because the black oxide used on regular Home Depot type pipes react to woods like oak, leaving a black mark. Plus, they look good. I also have the clamp pads and Rockler's brand new EZ-Clutch that aids in removing the clamps.

You don't need tricked out pipe clamps like mine to have the same results. Order up some inexpensive pipe clamps from Harbor Freight and go to Home Depot or Lowes to get your pipe. That'll serve you well.

post #6 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:52 PM
JCD
Elite Shackster

Jacen

Here are some additional tools I'd consider getting:

Beginner
Table Saw -- a circular saw would get the job done, but a table saw is just so much better/easier.
Multimeter -- just one of those things you're going to need to be sure that your electronics are working correctly. This is one of the better sites I've found offering advice for a new DIY person. It's geared towards headphone amps, but the issues are pretty much the same. If you take a look at the first movie he's got, he makes suggestions for different types of equipment to buy, including multimeters.
Soldering Iron -- same site offers advice on buying an iron and has some excellent instructional videos.
Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason -- a great reference book for the DIY speaker builder. There are other books out there that are good too, I just have experience with this one.

Intermediate
REW/TrueRTA -- It's kind of ironic, I'm a mod here but still haven't used REW yet. Anyway, some sort of testing software will be needed. REW is free and, I've been told, does a good of taking all of the relevant measurements needed during testing. TrueRTA is relatively inexpensive and has been recommended many times in the past. If you're going to buy TrueRTA, just go for the top of the line version -- you're just cheating yourself if you don't.
SPL Meter -- Frankly, EVERYONE with a sound system should have a RS SPL Meter. There are just too many reasons to have one.
Laptop/External SoundCard -- You'll need some sort of computer to run REW/TrueRTA. An external sound card will also be required as the built in soundcards are terrible. A soundcard I've seen recommended is this one by M-Audio, and this one as a step down.

Advanced
Woofer Tester -- Wanna get the true T/S parameters of your specific driver? This is the tool for you. You CAN get the same information with a mic and keeping a log and performing some calculations, but this is SO much easier.
Calibrated Mic -- Probably the best inexpensive microphone would be the Behringer ECM8000. The RS meter can also be used, but the ECM is (much?) more accurate.

post #7 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:54 PM
Brian Bunge

Send a message via AIM to Brian Bunge Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Bunge

Sonnie,

When you get tired of being completely covered in MDF dust go to toolcrib.com and order a DeWalt DW621 plunge router with dust collection. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. As a matter of fact, I wore out the first one I had and now need to buy a new one. The other DeWalt I have has dust collection so I'm going to pick up another 621.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:55 PM
Shackster
Bruce

Here's my favorite - an 8ton hydraulic jack that helps in the veneering process!

You can never have too many clamps!

Cheers, Bruce
post #9 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Hey Bruce... it looks like you have room for one more on the left side there....
post #10 of 37 Old 01-16-07, 10:56 PM
Shackster
Bruce

Sonny,
THat's what I thought too - oh well, next time.
But first I have to keep an eye out for one of those 2 for 1 sales on bar clamps.

Cheers, Bruce