Help me select a 12" Driver - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mike

Help me select a 12" Driver

Hi folks,

I have been away for a while but I am back now and ready to begin my second build. For this build, I want to go with a 12" sealed enclosure, for my medium sized bonus room. Basically looking for great sound quality and high output. Will be putting about 800 watts to it. The top end of my budget is about $250 (for the driver itself). My first build was a CSS 15" and I am really pleased with it. I understand that CSS is designing a new 12", but I have not heard when it may be released. I may be interersted in going with CSS again. The new TC Sounds pricing is really interesting too. I always wanted to give TC Sounds a try. If there are some other brands you would reccomend, by all means, please feel free to discuss. Any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 08:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

You've got some good choices in your price range.
TC Sounds Epic 12 or LMSR 12
Exodus Shiva X
Acoustic Elegance AV12X

Would be the 4 I'd choose from. Personally I'd spend the extra bit of money and get the LMSR 12 for the larger LMT voice coil. It could actually use quite a bit more than 800w but that just means it'd be in it's comfort zone. Really any of them should do very well in about a 1.5cu ft sealed box.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mike

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
You've got some good choices in your price range.
TC Sounds Epic 12 or LMSR 12
Exodus Shiva X
Acoustic Elegance AV12X

Would be the 4 I'd choose from. Personally I'd spend the extra bit of money and get the LMSR 12 for the larger LMT voice coil. It could actually use quite a bit more than 800w but that just means it'd be in it's comfort zone. Really any of them should do very well in about a 1.5cu ft sealed box.
Thanks very much for your feedback...I don't have any experience with AE, but I have heard really good things about them. They look like really well built subs. The physical quality of the sub is important to me. Can you tell me what the difference is between the AE X and H models? I would prefer to only use a sub that is really made for home use. Looks like only $20 more for an AE 15" too (versus the 12"). $249 seems like a good price for a 15". Will 800 watts get me by if I step up to a 15" AE? Thanks again for your help....

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 11:21 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
1999cutiger wrote: View Post
Hi folks,

I have been away for a while but I am back now and ready to begin my second build. For this build, I want to go with a 12" sealed enclosure, for my medium sized bonus room. Basically looking for great sound quality and high output. Will be putting about 800 watts to it. The top end of my budget is about $250 (for the driver itself). My first build was a CSS 15" and I am really pleased with it. I understand that CSS is designing a new 12", but I have not heard when it may be released. I may be interersted in going with CSS again. The new TC Sounds pricing is really interesting too. I always wanted to give TC Sounds a try. If there are some other brands you would reccomend, by all means, please feel free to discuss. Any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks...
the av15h works in a cabinet of only 400mm cubed and will give superior results to the 12 inch drivers, or pretty much any 12inch driver for that matter. The x model needs a larger cabinet, but will give slightly more output low down at 20hz and under. Given current pricing there really is no reson not to go with the 15inch drivers. There are a couple issuses atm though. AE cant manufacturer 15 inch drivers from the av range due to an issue with
The roll surrounds, so there will be a wait if you order now. If you dont order now, there is a price increase coming on the horizon, like within the next month or 2, and it will be within the region of a 50 dollar increase, so this might sway your decision.

I would really go for a 15 inch driver as in a single driver sealed cabinet with your power on tap, it will give the best results imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mike

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
the av15h works in a cabinet of only 400mm cubed and will give superior results to the 12 inch drivers, or pretty much any 12inch driver for that matter. The x model needs a larger cabinet, but will give slightly more output low down at 20hz and under. Given current pricing there really is no reson not to go with the 15inch drivers. There are a couple issuses atm though. AE cant manufacturer 15 inch drivers from the av range due to an issue with
The roll surrounds, so there will be a wait if you order now. If you dont order now, there is a price increase coming on the horizon, like within the next month or 2, and it will be within the region of a 50 dollar increase, so this might sway your decision.

I would really go for a 15 inch driver as in a single driver sealed cabinet with your power on tap, it will give the best results imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the feedback....I think I will go with the AE 15". But, I actually prefer a larger enclosure. Should I get the "X" model? Do you (or anyone else) have the optimal sealed enclosure size for the AE (X model) 15".
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 10:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Marce

1999cutiger, if you are going to use a larger enclosure then get the X model since it will work better. The H model has a bit more bass down low (below 25hz or so) and works better in a small box. The X model has a bit more mid-bass than the H model. I have the X model and it's a great sub, you won't be disappointed. The X model will do fine in a 3.5-4cf enclosure.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-10, 08:40 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
I'd agree unless cost is a concern in which case the epic12 is a great low cost option. I will say for most folks a 12" driver in a sealed box is more powerful than 99 percent of home subs they've heard. So if you do go that direction you will still have a great sub, but the extra cone area is a really nice thing to have.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-10-10, 04:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Can you tell me what the difference is between the AE X and H models? I would prefer to only use a sub that is really made for home use.
It's exactly the same driver except for the voice coil. The two models have different T/S which allow more options when designing cabs, depending upon the outcome you're looking for. If one of the 15's works in an enclosure that is good for you, I'd take the extra displacement available for the minimal price increase.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-10-10, 04:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback....I think I will go with the AE 15". But, I actually prefer a larger enclosure. Should I get the "X" model? Do you (or anyone else) have the optimal sealed enclosure size for the AE (X model) 15".
As the others have said, if you can use a larger cab then the X driver is the one that makes sense as it will give you more performance for your power over the H model, which is really a variation with a slightly different motor (increased motor force, but reduced efficiency) designed specifically for smaller cabinets. Optimal size for an X driver is anything from 75 to about 120 litres, with somewhere in the middle being best. Smaller will increase upper bass punch, while larger will reduce this in favour of a lower cleaner bass sound. To much upper bass slam (smallest cab) may leave you with an overpowering sound, while not enough (largest cab) may leave the sub sounding a little to clean and reduce its musicality a little. The middle ground is the best place to begin if your unsure about this, and using poly fibrefill to tune the finished sub will help with getting a sound you like. The addition of fibre fill will have the effect of making the driver act like its in a larger enclosure, so its effectively a way of virtually altering cab size to suit once your up an running, and lends itself to building your cab with a volume somewhere in the middle, say 90-100 litres/450-550mm cubed.