Help me select a 12" Driver - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45
Help me select a 12" Driver

Hi folks,

I have been away for a while but I am back now and ready to begin my second build. For this build, I want to go with a 12" sealed enclosure, for my medium sized bonus room. Basically looking for great sound quality and high output. Will be putting about 800 watts to it. The top end of my budget is about $250 (for the driver itself). My first build was a CSS 15" and I am really pleased with it. I understand that CSS is designing a new 12", but I have not heard when it may be released. I may be interersted in going with CSS again. The new TC Sounds pricing is really interesting too. I always wanted to give TC Sounds a try. If there are some other brands you would reccomend, by all means, please feel free to discuss. Any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks...
1999cutiger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 08:27 AM
Elite Shackster
 
Ricci's Avatar
Josh
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,431
Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

You've got some good choices in your price range.
TC Sounds Epic 12 or LMSR 12
Exodus Shiva X
Acoustic Elegance AV12X

Would be the 4 I'd choose from. Personally I'd spend the extra bit of money and get the LMSR 12 for the larger LMT voice coil. It could actually use quite a bit more than 800w but that just means it'd be in it's comfort zone. Really any of them should do very well in about a 1.5cu ft sealed box.
Ricci is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45
Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
You've got some good choices in your price range.
TC Sounds Epic 12 or LMSR 12
Exodus Shiva X
Acoustic Elegance AV12X

Would be the 4 I'd choose from. Personally I'd spend the extra bit of money and get the LMSR 12 for the larger LMT voice coil. It could actually use quite a bit more than 800w but that just means it'd be in it's comfort zone. Really any of them should do very well in about a 1.5cu ft sealed box.
Thanks very much for your feedback...I don't have any experience with AE, but I have heard really good things about them. They look like really well built subs. The physical quality of the sub is important to me. Can you tell me what the difference is between the AE X and H models? I would prefer to only use a sub that is really made for home use. Looks like only $20 more for an AE 15" too (versus the 12"). $249 seems like a good price for a 15". Will 800 watts get me by if I step up to a 15" AE? Thanks again for your help....
1999cutiger is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 11:21 AM
Elite Shackster
 
Moonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,142
Quote:
1999cutiger wrote: View Post
Hi folks,

I have been away for a while but I am back now and ready to begin my second build. For this build, I want to go with a 12" sealed enclosure, for my medium sized bonus room. Basically looking for great sound quality and high output. Will be putting about 800 watts to it. The top end of my budget is about $250 (for the driver itself). My first build was a CSS 15" and I am really pleased with it. I understand that CSS is designing a new 12", but I have not heard when it may be released. I may be interersted in going with CSS again. The new TC Sounds pricing is really interesting too. I always wanted to give TC Sounds a try. If there are some other brands you would reccomend, by all means, please feel free to discuss. Any feedback you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks...
the av15h works in a cabinet of only 400mm cubed and will give superior results to the 12 inch drivers, or pretty much any 12inch driver for that matter. The x model needs a larger cabinet, but will give slightly more output low down at 20hz and under. Given current pricing there really is no reson not to go with the 15inch drivers. There are a couple issuses atm though. AE cant manufacturer 15 inch drivers from the av range due to an issue with
The roll surrounds, so there will be a wait if you order now. If you dont order now, there is a price increase coming on the horizon, like within the next month or 2, and it will be within the region of a 50 dollar increase, so this might sway your decision.

I would really go for a 15 inch driver as in a single driver sealed cabinet with your power on tap, it will give the best results imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Moonfly is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Mike
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 45
Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
the av15h works in a cabinet of only 400mm cubed and will give superior results to the 12 inch drivers, or pretty much any 12inch driver for that matter. The x model needs a larger cabinet, but will give slightly more output low down at 20hz and under. Given current pricing there really is no reson not to go with the 15inch drivers. There are a couple issuses atm though. AE cant manufacturer 15 inch drivers from the av range due to an issue with
The roll surrounds, so there will be a wait if you order now. If you dont order now, there is a price increase coming on the horizon, like within the next month or 2, and it will be within the region of a 50 dollar increase, so this might sway your decision.

I would really go for a 15 inch driver as in a single driver sealed cabinet with your power on tap, it will give the best results imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the feedback....I think I will go with the AE 15". But, I actually prefer a larger enclosure. Should I get the "X" model? Do you (or anyone else) have the optimal sealed enclosure size for the AE (X model) 15".
1999cutiger is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-10, 10:01 PM
Senior Shackster
Marce
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Weston, Florida
Posts: 159
Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

1999cutiger, if you are going to use a larger enclosure then get the X model since it will work better. The H model has a bit more bass down low (below 25hz or so) and works better in a small box. The X model has a bit more mid-bass than the H model. I have the X model and it's a great sub, you won't be disappointed. The X model will do fine in a 3.5-4cf enclosure.
spanish68 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 07-10-10, 08:40 AM
Elite Shackster
 
lsiberian's Avatar
lsiberian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 2,625
Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
the av15h works in a cabinet of only 400mm cubed and will give superior results to the 12 inch drivers, or pretty much any 12inch driver for that matter. The x model needs a larger cabinet, but will give slightly more output low down at 20hz and under. Given current pricing there really is no reson not to go with the 15inch drivers. There are a couple issuses atm though. AE cant manufacturer 15 inch drivers from the av range due to an issue with
The roll surrounds, so there will be a wait if you order now. If you dont order now, there is a price increase coming on the horizon, like within the next month or 2, and it will be within the region of a 50 dollar increase, so this might sway your decision.

I would really go for a 15 inch driver as in a single driver sealed cabinet with your power on tap, it will give the best results imo.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd agree unless cost is a concern in which case the epic12 is a great low cost option. I will say for most folks a 12" driver in a sealed box is more powerful than 99 percent of home subs they've heard. So if you do go that direction you will still have a great sub, but the extra cone area is a really nice thing to have.
lsiberian is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 07-10-10, 04:12 PM
Senior Shackster
7
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 790
Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

Quote:
1999cutiger wrote: View Post
Can you tell me what the difference is between the AE X and H models? I would prefer to only use a sub that is really made for home use.
It's exactly the same driver except for the voice coil. The two models have different T/S which allow more options when designing cabs, depending upon the outcome you're looking for. If one of the 15's works in an enclosure that is good for you, I'd take the extra displacement available for the minimal price increase.
Lucky7! is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 07-10-10, 04:13 PM
Elite Shackster
 
Moonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,142
Re: Help me select a 12" Driver

Quote:
1999cutiger wrote: View Post
Thanks for the feedback....I think I will go with the AE 15". But, I actually prefer a larger enclosure. Should I get the "X" model? Do you (or anyone else) have the optimal sealed enclosure size for the AE (X model) 15".
As the others have said, if you can use a larger cab then the X driver is the one that makes sense as it will give you more performance for your power over the H model, which is really a variation with a slightly different motor (increased motor force, but reduced efficiency) designed specifically for smaller cabinets. Optimal size for an X driver is anything from 75 to about 120 litres, with somewhere in the middle being best. Smaller will increase upper bass punch, while larger will reduce this in favour of a lower cleaner bass sound. To much upper bass slam (smallest cab) may leave you with an overpowering sound, while not enough (largest cab) may leave the sub sounding a little to clean and reduce its musicality a little. The middle ground is the best place to begin if your unsure about this, and using poly fibrefill to tune the finished sub will help with getting a sound you like. The addition of fibre fill will have the effect of making the driver act like its in a larger enclosure, so its effectively a way of virtually altering cab size to suit once your up an running, and lends itself to building your cab with a volume somewhere in the middle, say 90-100 litres/450-550mm cubed.
Moonfly is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
12" , driver , select

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome