bass cabs - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 36 Old 01-22-07, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Re: bass cabs

I don't know much about Hawthorne Audio or Open baffle setups, suffice to say I believe in order to get them to sound better than everyday "run of the mill" speakers you have to spend quite a lot of time building and measuring. Also I think those drivers will probably still breakup and beem (because they are used full range?), as breakup is a function of the sound wave in relation to the cones radius, and the material of the cone's ability to dissipate its energy into sound pressure. Not that I want to question hawthorn audio, I just simply don't know enough about there product to understand how they overcome issues like cone breakup, and IMD.

You are right though, there are good full range drivers out there, Fostex come to mind, but if I were to use them for instruments or SR they'd probably burnout very quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 Old 01-29-07, 09:55 PM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Send a message via MSN to Danny

While we are talking about bass cabs and guitars. Does anyone know if it is alright to use a sub and amp instead of a dedicated bass cab. I have the sub and amp lying around and don't want to buy a bass cab unless i have to
post #13 of 36 Old 01-30-07, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

It should be alright, just watch out for excursion limits on the sub as any guitars dynamic range is much larger than the average Hifi/HT signal. A good whack on the strings with too much gain in the amp could blow your speaker. You may also need a pre-amp depending on your sub amp and guitars pickups.

How serious are you about playing? you may be better of investing in a little practice amp or DIY'ing a nice little combo.

post #14 of 36 Old 01-30-07, 10:44 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

What drf said. Don’t expect to play it at the levels you would a regular bass amp. As long as you keep the levels moderate, you’ll be fine.

That said, don’t expect it to sound all that great. Home subs typically fall off rapidly above about 150 Hz when used full-range, so expect your higher notes, especially up towards the second octave of the G string, to sound weak (reduced level). Also lacking will be the second and third harmonics that give your instruments its tonal quality or “voice.” Basically, it’s probably going to sound pretty flat and lifeless.

Regards,
Wayne
post #15 of 36 Old 01-31-07, 05:33 AM
Senior Shackster
Dan

Send a message via MSN to Danny

I had a look at the spec and it has a reasonably flat response until about 2000 - 2500 Hz but then it drops off quickly. Levels should not be a problem - playing music it goes at about 120Db. I'm only using a 400watt amp and the driver can handle up to 600 so it should be hard to overload it, will have to watch the amp for clipping though. May invest in a proper setup when i have cash.
post #16 of 36 Old 04-13-07, 11:13 AM
Randall R. Dibble
Inactive

I just learned of this site today.

It looks good!

I hope I'm not intruding in this thread but as a Bassist who has built many bass speaker cabinets I suggest you check out Bill Fitzmaurice website.

There a number of good designs for Bass Guitar speaker cabinets for sale.

I myself use a Omni-10 with twin Eminence BP102 drivers.

He has forum that supports builders these designs as well.

Also some myths regarding speaker design and placement are revealed.

Check It out!

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/
post #17 of 36 Old 04-14-07, 07:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Quote:
Randall R. Dibble wrote: View Post
I just learned of this site today.

I myself use a Omni-10 with twin Eminence BP102 drivers.
I always wondered about those Omnis. Do they dig low enough to be used with a bass by themselves, or do they need a sub to fill in the fundamentals?
post #18 of 36 Old 04-14-07, 11:41 PM
Randall R. Dibble
Inactive

I use my Omni-10 with Bp102's in small to medium club's and a Tuba24 with the larger clubs and outside. I bi-amp when using the tuba with a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro pre-amp and a Peavey CS800 to drive the full setup.

The Omni-10 by it's self works great in most Situations and it's a relatively small in size.
post #19 of 36 Old 04-27-07, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
drf
drf

Well, I have started work on the 2x 12 cab. I have decided to make it from Chipboard for a couple of reasons:

1, it only has to last 2-3 years, before I get bored and want something different.
2, its my first attempt at a 2x 12 so I don't want to spend extra cash on a design that has the potential to flop.

have decided to go with the cheaper piezos because of what I read on the site linked by Randall R. Dibble (thanks for your thoughts). If they don't work in this box I can always replace them with some decent compression drivers.

current design will have an FR from 40 to 15Khz, with a modeled response within 6dB variation.
200Watts RMS @ 4ohm.

hopefully I'l get pics up soon.

cheers Drf.
post #20 of 36 Old 04-27-07, 12:41 PM
Senior Shackster
Will

Send a message via AIM to WillyD Send a message via Skype™ to WillyD

Quote:
drf wrote: View Post
I am thinking of building a bass cab, just wondering what allignments people curently use and what particular sonics they attribute to specific allignments, I am not overly concerned about the particulars of what each size driver should be capable of, but more what peoples impressions are.

For example I was thinking of a single 15" cab with a 2x 12" cab ontop, the idea being low end and a certain amount of projection in the one stack. Maybe even some piezo tweeters to compliment the 2x12"'s ?

cheers

dr f
Interesting thread!

I too have been brainstorming a bass cab for myself. I just bought a Behringer CX2310 for xover use, and as of now I think I'll be going with a 15" woofer, maybe two 8" midwoofers, and a decent compression driver. I'll be shooting for full range performance so I can use the cab for anything.

I haven't chosen the drivers yet, but so far I like the BMS 15N630 for the woofer.

http://www.assistanceaudio.com/02_BMScones.html

http://www.bmspro.info/