Very low budget sub. - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 54 Old 01-28-07, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

Re: Very low budget sub.

I've been looking at some subs, and was trying to get this sub to work in WinISD, but it keeps complaining about the qes, qms, and qts. I've got the specs for that woofer here at the very bottom, the TS-V15.

Or should I really stick to the 'known' stuff? My budget has been cut, but I was going to make an enclosure 24*20*45 (W*D*H)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 Old 01-28-07, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

Or this other 15" audiopipe subwoofer, here I'd plug that into WinISD also, but i've tried and it doesn't work. The specs for it are here
post #13 of 54 Old 01-28-07, 08:42 PM
Senior Shackster

brandon

try just inputting the qes and qms. If winisd is set to fill in the rest it'll figure out the qts for you. That sub looks pretty decent for that price. I'd like a little lower resonant frequency (fs) though and a little more xmax. I still like the quattro for just a few bucks more. You could also look at the elemental designs 12" sub. I think it's the ehqs12. $25 plus shipping. better xmax than that audiopipe sub, lower fs, and i'm sure all the other specs are probably close to or better. do a search for that on this board. someone has made a dual sub box that looks cool.

post #14 of 54 Old 01-28-07, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

I'll check that Elemental Designs sub out, looks good. I think that might suite me better than the Quattro anyway. But I'm not sure yet.
post #15 of 54 Old 01-30-07, 08:24 AM
rlee777
Inactive

Quote:
mgboy wrote: View Post
I'll check that Elemental Designs sub out, looks good. I think that might suite me better than the Quattro anyway. But I'm not sure yet.

The eD EHQS12 sub is an outstanding buy at $25 + shipping. Solid sub with tight, clean output and decent extension (it favors larger ported boxes). Main limitation is the 9.1mm XMAX, but mates well with the BASH 300w amp.

I built a ported 4.0 cu ft. heavily braced box using a single EHQS12 driver and it sounds great in my 2100 cu ft room, corner loaded (using the PE BASH 300w). From 23Hz (port tune) on up, the bass is punchy, deep and low distortion. Plenty of output for the room. Be sure to design the box well to minimize resonances and line the walls -- do not stuff. Perfect low budget sub.

I had read that eD will be raising its prices Feb 1. Not sure if it will apply to the EHQS12.
post #16 of 54 Old 01-30-07, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

Quote:
rlee777 wrote: View Post
The eD EHQS12 sub is an outstanding buy at $25 + shipping. Solid sub with tight, clean output and decent extension (it favors larger ported boxes). Main limitation is the 9.1mm XMAX, but mates well with the BASH 300w amp.

I built a ported 4.0 cu ft. heavily braced box using a single EHQS12 driver and it sounds great in my 2100 cu ft room, corner loaded (using the PE BASH 300w). From 23Hz (port tune) on up, the bass is punchy, deep and low distortion. Plenty of output for the room. Be sure to design the box well to minimize resonances and line the walls -- do not stuff. Perfect low budget sub.

I had read that eD will be raising its prices Feb 1. Not sure if it will apply to the EHQS12.
Well that's good to hear as I just ordered one last night. I will be putting it in a 9.8 Cu ft. braced box with a ~20Hz tune. I'm hoping this will be a good upgrade from what I have, and I'm sure it will be.
post #17 of 54 Old 01-30-07, 11:10 PM
rlee777
Inactive

Quote:
Well that's good to hear as I just ordered one last night. I will be putting it in a 9.8 Cu ft. braced box with a ~20Hz tune. I'm hoping this will be a good upgrade from what I have, and I'm sure it will be.
9.8 cu ft for a single EHQS12? That box is much too big unless you are considering two drivers. Group delay shoots up and the EBS shelf would lower the Q too much. That may produce weak, muddy bass. Consider a 4.0 - 5.0 cu. ft. box instead. Other drivers would work better in such a large enclosure, but they are more $$$.
post #18 of 54 Old 01-31-07, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

Well, I've figured up a few more things, and I'm thinking maybe a 20*20*45 (~8 ft^3) Because that gives an equal balance of db, and low hz compared to a smaller or bigger box, but I would love to have some useful output at 18 Hz, if that's just not possible, then 20 or 22 will do, but I can't get WinISD working properly at all, so I'm using some old program from the late 90's (Probox Professional - it's for car subs) but it can't do what I'm needing to do.

And also for the port, I was hoping to have a rectangular port, but built into the box like extend the sides, and the back, but not the front. The program I have can't do that either, so I really need help with this.
post #19 of 54 Old 01-31-07, 10:09 PM
Senior Shackster

Scott

Quote:
Well, I've figured up a few more things, and I'm thinking maybe a 20*20*45 (~8 ft^3) Because that gives an equal balance of db, and low hz compared to a smaller or bigger box, but I would love to have some useful output at 18 Hz, if that's just not possible, then 20 or 22 will do, but I can't get WinISD working properly at all, so I'm using some old program from the late 90's (Probox Professional - it's for car subs) but it can't do what I'm needing to do.

And also for the port, I was hoping to have a rectangular port, but built into the box like extend the sides, and the back, but not the front. The program I have can't do that either, so I really need help with this.
I'm not sure this sub can handle that box size and tuning. Although I am not a wiz at WinISD this is what I came up with. At 8cu ft the driver is exceeding it's xmax quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Very low budget sub.-1.jpg  

Very low budget sub.-ehq12.jpg  

post #20 of 54 Old 02-01-07, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Mike

What about 20*20*35 (6.3 ft^3) tuned at 20. Here's what I came up with, but I can't check the Xmax with this program.