12" horn questions? Calling all horn pros... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 11-20-10, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jim

12" horn questions? Calling all horn pros...

I was thinking about trying a horn recently, using a spare Pioneer 12" TSW-308D4 that I have been meaning to use for ages. So, I did some research and had a play in HornResp. to try and come up with something, but I can't get it to work properly. So I made a random design in google sketchup. What I would like to know is if it any good, and if not, what would need changing. Please note that this only need to play down to 30hz or so, but any lower is a bonus, it's main use would be in a car, not a room, and the more efficient the better.
Here are some pics, I can get dimensions too, but if it is horribly wrong you should be able to tell

The main, outside cabinet dimensions are 35"x20"x15"

Thanks in advance, if it will definitely work out well I will definitely build it.

Last edited by jimjim; 11-21-10 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-20-10, 10:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Horn questions?

Ive never used hornresp and dont really get involved in horn type systems, but I have to say youve created a convincing looking model. It'll be interesting to see what mdrake thinks of this I'm sure he'll take a look when he is online.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-20-10, 10:28 AM
Senior Shackster
gs

I can't pass judgement, but I do know that the devil is in the details. You should provide a dimensioned projection of the last rendering you posted. Also the TS parameters of the driver would be needed by anyone who would review your design.

post #4 of 22 Old 11-20-10, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jim

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Ive never used hornresp and dont really get involved in horn type systems, but I have to say youve created a convincing looking model. It'll be interesting to see what mdrake thinks of this I'm sure he'll take a look when he is online.
Thank you! And yes, I'm interested in what he will say too.

Quote:
gsmollin wrote: View Post
I can't pass judgement, but I do know that the devil is in the details. You should provide a dimensioned projection of the last rendering you posted. Also the TS parameters of the driver would be needed by anyone who would review your design.
I posted the name of the driver, so a quick google search will bring up the T&S specs. The only problem is that it will probably be used with other drivers too, especially Digital Designs ones.
Here is a dimensioned image though:
post #5 of 22 Old 11-21-10, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jim

bumpity bump. Mdrake, what do you think?
post #6 of 22 Old 11-21-10, 04:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: 12" horn questions? Calling all horn pros...

Quote:
So I made a random design in google sketchup
That's not how it works. The driver needs to be modeled first to see if its even an acceptable driver for a horn and how it will perform. If it is, then you design a cabinet that the sub can perform within its capabilities. This all goes back to HornResponse which is the first step.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #7 of 22 Old 11-21-10, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jim

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post

That's not how it works. The driver needs to be modeled first to see if its even an acceptable driver for a horn and how it will perform. If it is, then you design a cabinet that the sub can perform within its capabilities. This all goes back to HornResponse which is the first step.

Yeah, that does make perfect sense. I was playing around in HornResp. but it it is one of those progrms where you have to know how to use it before you can use it. Not one where a few hours of mucking around on it will get you going, well, that's how I find it. As I say it will be used for another 12", which definitely isn't good practice, but if it could be made to perform best with a DD 9512 say, and then it will still work with the pioneer, but not as good. But it all goes back to me not finding HornResp. Easy to use, I always end up with some kind of error, and it won't let me fix what is wrong. But yeah, I was just wondering if this would work at all, because I pretty much made a model that looked right, and then thought I'd ask. Haha
post #8 of 22 Old 11-21-10, 05:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

I know what you're saying about HornResponse, I simply don't have the time to get into it as I have my hands full doing sealed and ported simulations in WinISD.

We're all in this together!

post #9 of 22 Old 11-21-10, 08:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Looks like a nice cab design but did you not base this off of a model? You have no way of knowing how it will turn out acoustically otherwise. Or did you get that design from someone who knew what they were doing?

HR is not that hard guys there are plenty of help threads and how to's that explain what the inputs in HR mean to get started. That is the key is understanding what the inputs mean as far as the cabinet. Soho54, LittleMike and some others have some really good help threads available.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-21-10, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
jim

Quote:
Ricci wrote: View Post
Looks like a nice cab design but did you not base this off of a model? You have no way of knowing how it will turn out acoustically otherwise. Or did you get that design from someone who knew what they were doing?

HR is not that hard guys there are plenty of help threads and how to's that explain what the inputs in HR mean to get started. That is the key is understanding what the inputs mean as far as the cabinet. Soho54, LittleMike and some others have some really good help threads available.
Yeah, I just made a model that looked right because I was having troubles with using HornResp.
I found a tutorial on here somewhere, but it still came up with an error message saying that the length of segment 3 wasn't stated (I think that's what the problem was) and it wouldn't let me enter a length.
Do you have any links to any other info on using HornResp.?