.1 LFE Discrete Test Tones - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 29 Old 12-30-10, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System
.1 LFE Discrete Test Tones

Anyone know where I can find discrete .1 LFE test tones from about 10-15Hz up to about 100-120Hz?

I prefer 1 Hz increments, but 1/6 octave would do.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-30-10, 06:03 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: .1 LFE Discrete Test Tones

Sonnie,

I have a bucket load if you PM me your email address I will send them to you.

cheers

Graham
post #3 of 29 Old 12-30-10, 06:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Not tried these myself, but they may be of use:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/8050894-post1.html

post #4 of 29 Old 12-30-10, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Actually... I need combined 5.1 test tones.

In other words... I need a 20Hz .1 LFE tone combined with a 20Hz non-LFE tone.

I need both outputting at the same time. Is that possible... do they make test tones like this?
post #5 of 29 Old 12-30-10, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

To further clarify... I need 5.1 channels outputting from 10-15Hz up to about 120Hz. I need all six channels to be outputting the same tone at once.

What I have is a unit that is equalizing the .1 LFE frequency separate from the equalized and redirected sub-80Hz low frequencies from the other five speakers.

REW does not output a .1 discrete signal in its sweep, to I am unable to test the equalization of the unit in question without the .1 discrete signal along with the combined redirected signal as well.

I know... who in their right mind would make such a unit.
post #6 of 29 Old 12-30-10, 08:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Actually... I need combined 5.1 test tones.

In other words... I need a 20Hz .1 LFE tone combined with a 20Hz non-LFE tone.

I need both outputting at the same time. Is that possible... do they make test tones like this?
As far as I know, that isnt possible. Any system that can process a dedicated sub channel, is either separating the .1, or isnt running in bass management mode, i.e pure audio or with speakers full range, so no .1 present. Some AVR's do allow you to run LFE to the speakers at the same time as the sub, but that is all done on board the processor itself, not within the source material.

I need to get a better grasp of the exact issue you seem to be having with the unit. I will get to it ASAP.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-30-10, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My System

Actually... nearly all material has LFE and non LFE bass. So having both is possible.

There is .1 discrete LFE and there is redirected bass below the crossover frequency.
post #8 of 29 Old 12-31-10, 03:28 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Sonnie,

So basically if you are playing a 120hz test tone in 5.1 and your sub is crossed at 80hz then you would expect most off the audio going to the 5 speakers and very little through the sub. The higher up the frequency band you go it just then comes out off the speakers and not the sub.

Can I ask what is the reason you want this for.

Also if it is to calibrate in some way wouldn't the Avia calibrating disc be better.

Sent you a PM regarding finding some software to convert the single audio format to 5.1. Just googled it and people have done it, just need to find out what they used.

cheers

Graham
post #9 of 29 Old 12-31-10, 07:17 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Actually... nearly all material has LFE and non LFE bass. So having both is possible.

There is .1 discrete LFE and there is redirected bass below the crossover frequency.
That would depend on system set up though wouldnt it. LFE is 120hz and below, so in theory, if you were running 80hz crossovers, there is potential for 40hz ish of lfe being sent to speakers etc. It would also depend on the source. Some movies (a lot actually) dont bother with LFE over 80hz due to the guideline set up of 80 crossovers.

Redirected bass and LFE are different in the mind of the processors, but the idea is the end result is the same as far as our ears are concerned. When you run a film though, which is proper .1 discreet, you only have LFE and non LFE, and the only potential is that speakers might play LFE material, not that your sub would play non LFE bass. I do realise there is potential for the sub to play non LFE bass.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-31-10, 07:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Sonnie,

So basically if you are playing a 120hz test tone in 5.1 and your sub is crossed at 80hz then you would expect most off the audio going to the 5 speakers and very little through the sub. The higher up the frequency band you go it just then comes out off the speakers and not the sub.

Can I ask what is the reason you want this for.

cheers

Graham
Subs are big, which they need to be to produce the lowest frequencies. People generally only have one as a result. To keep the bass so you cant localize it, the frequencies it reproduces are kept to those your ears cant pin point, which is widely accepted as 80hz and below. This then allows that single sub to be placed anywhere in the listening area, further increasing the ease of incorporating it into your home environment.

If you have a dual or more sub setup, with the subs separated like your front speakers are (ideally wider than your mains and set back a touch), then its possible there is some benefit from running your LFE upto 120hz, and letting the subs take care of all the LFE right upto that frequency. Trying it is the key to answering if you would like it or not.