Placing Speakers on top of subs - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 02-17-11, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Placing Speakers on top of subs

Hi All,

My father has just asked me to make him a sub or 2 (about a minute after hearing the one i just built) and due to room constraights the only place these subs could go is under his current speakers.

Is there any sort of issue placing speakers ontop of a subwoofer - Vibrations etc?

The setup would likely be like this:

Placing Speakers on top of subs-sub.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-17-11, 03:16 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Placing Speakers on top of subs

The subs will be fine under the speakers like that. Make sure you build the cabinets nice and solid though.

What are your plans for these, because obviously one of the largest variations in sub designs is size. Size will no doubt affect placement.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-17-11, 11:14 AM
Generic
Inactive

I don't know. My sealed Emotiva 12 still shakes pretty good, and it's got some nice bracing. I can't set CD cases on top of it. It still vibrates pretty good.

IMO, I don't think its a good ideal.

post #4 of 21 Old 02-17-11, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The plan was to have a sub under the Front L/R so that the speakers are broguht to ear level.

I was thinking that each sub would have a 15" Exodus driver in a sealed cube ~150L and be powered by a Behringer power amp of some kind.

The speakers are Altec Lansing model 14s which weigh about 30kg.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...s/model-14.htm

I'm hoping that if i add some rubber feet - (possibly spikes) - between the speakers and the sub they shouldn't move around to much.

The alternative i guess is to try and build a sub that can hide in plain sight as a coffee table or something.

Last edited by Nick69; 02-17-11 at 09:26 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-17-11, 11:39 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Wilson Audio uses speakers above their bass enclosure but they are locked in tight. You could use Sorbothane feet but I would pull the bass driver and then come up through the bass cab with 1 screw and squat the sorbothane just a little or allot. If the cabinets are weighty enough the push pull of the base driver will not effect the TM drivers unless you really crank the system. Seems to me the Wilson Audio Alexandria's weighted in @ 425lbs ea. But Swan had designed an MTM speaker to sit on top of the Bass cab.

Congrats on you success

Greg
post #6 of 21 Old 02-18-11, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

So your saying that i should physically bolt the speakers an the sub together using screws and sorbolene feet?

Hmm Sounds like it would work, but thats a pretty serious modificaiton to the speaker...

I reckon my dad would need some serious convincing before i go anywhere near his speakers with a power drill... Probably to the point where it would be easier to just build a stand alone sub and use it instead.
post #7 of 21 Old 02-18-11, 08:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

If I were to do it..... I'd isolate the speaker with rubber or foam. Something to prevent the speaker from shaking when the subwoofer vibrates.

Unless you have a dual-opposed subwoofer - you're going to have vibrations... and I think you have no choice but to isolate it somehow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-18-11, 09:54 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
The plan was to have a sub under the Front L/R so that the speakers are brought to ear level.

I'm hoping that if i add some rubber feet - (possibly spikes) - between the speakers and the sub they shouldn't move around to much.
This will work fine. I have speakers on top of my well braced 12 cu.ft. subs and the speakers don't move.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #9 of 21 Old 02-18-11, 09:56 AM
Elite Shackster

Jim

Actually, I have my center channel on an 8cuft sealed sub right now with no issues.. No isolation either.

I don't know what I'm talking about "If I'd do it..."

post #10 of 21 Old 02-18-11, 05:14 PM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

Not bolting the upper to the bass cab is what I was getting at with the swan design reference. the Swan speakers sat one on the other with no screws. This speaker was ahead of its time 10 years ago and people are still using the design today. I would just use 3 sorbothane pads under each upper cab. You can find them on ebay.

I don't really know how Wilson treats their cab's to isolate drivers from each other but I am sure the weight of the cab has a lot to do with it.

Greg