Want super low freq responce & lots of output. Advise? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 02-10-12, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Want super low freq responce & lots of output. Advise?

I am new to the Diy game and am looking for suggestions on building a good ported sub to be used in my hometheater. I am sort of handy with tools and feel pretty confident in my skills. I do not have any experience with design software and honestly don't know where to start in terms of learning to use it. So with that in mind, I would like to find a build that someone else has already done, or I am possibly going to have Gperkins_1973 do the actual design as I believe that will be the easiest way to go about this. Here are my goals:

1. Sub needs to go down to 16hz while maintaining some good output.
2. Sub needs to have plenty of output in general.

I have absolutely no size restrictions and am not concerned with WAF appeal. This box can be big and ugly, so long as it has lots of output and reaches down to 16hz or lower. My room is approx 14 x 20. I will probably use an EP2500 or one of the other proamp I have access to. I can get these proamps for dirt cheap as my cousin works at a guitar shop and gets a hefty discount. I know absolutely nothing with regards to drivers, so any suggestions you guys would have for drivers, would be nice. I will probably build two or three of these bad boys due to the room being so large.

Suggestions on cabinet designs?
Suggestions on other members prior sub builds that would suit my goals?
Suggestions on drivers?

Last edited by Jetjones; 02-11-12 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-10-12, 10:06 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: Want super low freq responce & lots of output. Advise?

Have a look in the Subwoofer database for all the different builds that have been done already.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/inde...wooferprojects

What is your budget?

And what size would you like it to be?

You could spend some money and have two LMSU 18's and be happy in your room or you could spend roughly the same amount and have four Fi SSD 15's or 8 Dayton 15's.

16hz should not be a problem with just two 18's.

Have a look at grahams build.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...rted-subs.html

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-11-12, 02:13 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Either a FI SSD 18" or Mach Audio IXL 18" would work. They are both under $250 each. I have several designs already on the the Mach audio IXL driver. They are saying out of stock at the moment so you would need to check to see if they will be available. I could amend the cutout to fit the SSD if it is any different and check the modelling against the port that is already in my designs. You would be looking at 10-12 cu ft each.

You could run the EP2500 amp in 4 ohms stereo to either off these which is around 650 watts rms no problem. I have a 11 cu ft design which with 650 watts rms is showing 114db at 20hz for one sub.

If the size doesn't work with what space you have then I could do a new design.

Let me know.

cheers

Graham

post #4 of 21 Old 02-11-12, 10:30 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

A FI SSD in the same size box as my sub and multi tuned would work fine. Keep it to the 650 watts rms into 4 ohms and you will have good spl. The SSD like a biggish box so all good there. You are good right up to 1000 watts input power should you decide to upgrade the amp to 2 x 1000 watts rms but there is not a massive gain in spl to do this.

Or alternatively you could just go with a new design which would be 15 cu ft tuned to 15hz with 650 watts rms.

Personally I like the flexibility off all three tunes because off the extra spl you get on the high tune.

On the mid and high tunes there is a 2nd order hpf set to 14hz.

If you went with the above design with the multi tune you would need to buy some port blockers which are just high density foam like on the SVS subs.

The Mach Audio IXl won't work in a 15 cu ft box but I do have different versions off that driver too.

cheers

Graham
post #5 of 21 Old 02-11-12, 07:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

How much output are you looking for? Is 2 amps and 2 drivers a possibility for your budget?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #6 of 21 Old 02-12-12, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
How much output are you looking for? Is 2 amps and 2 drivers a possibility for your budget?

I want as much output as a Jtr capivator, hopefully anyway. Yes I could do 2 amps and 2 drivers, depending on the cost of the drivers. What would you suggest?
post #7 of 21 Old 02-12-12, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
A FI SSD in the same size box as my sub and multi tuned would work fine. Keep it to the 650 watts rms into 4 ohms and you will have good spl. The SSD like a biggish box so all good there. You are good right up to 1000 watts input power should you decide to upgrade the amp to 2 x 1000 watts rms but there is not a massive gain in spl to do this.

Or alternatively you could just go with a new design which would be 15 cu ft tuned to 15hz with 650 watts rms.

Personally I like the flexibility off all three tunes because off the extra spl you get on the high tune.

On the mid and high tunes there is a 2nd order hpf set to 14hz.

If you went with the above design with the multi tune you would need to buy some port blockers which are just high density foam like on the SVS subs.

The Mach Audio IXl won't work in a 15 cu ft box but I do have different versions off that driver too.

cheers

Graham

How many cu ft does your sub have? I can go with as large of a box as needed, so if say, I could get more output and reach low in freq then by all means, I will go with a larger box. How much is the FI SSD driver?l I am open to doing something new or different than the sub that you did, perhaps a new design, it really doesn't matter to me, I just want the sub to sound good and be loud! I should state that I would prefer to use an existing design so I could save some time and money. I am not crazy about the idea of doing a multi tuned box, seems like it will make things more complicated, and being that this is my first DIY project, I will pass on the multiple tuned part of this. Though that is not to say that I can't build a somewhat elaborate box, I just don't really want to fool with doing multiple tunes as I would imagine I would have to re-eq the sub everytime I changed the port plugs.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-12-12, 10:14 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Mine are 15 cu ft net which is 24" wide by 48" high by 30" deep so pretty big. If you want low and loud then it will cost. With the budget you have it will be pretty hard to go as loud and deep as it sounds like you want. The SSD's are about $250 each. Based on the model I gave you, you would only require one EP4000 amp running 4 ohms stereo so in theory alot off spl for the amount of money and wattage.

A FI SP4 18" sub in a 20 cu ft box tuned to 16hz will give you 118db at 15hz with 2000 watts input power.

A Mach Audio UXL in a 10 cu ft box tuned to 17hz will give you 114db at 15hz with 1200 watts input power. At 20hz the Mach audio will be 2db down on the SP4. Both would need two amps but the SP4 would give you more down low but it would be in a box twice the size.

These drivers are over $400 each so it is relative to the performance gain you will have over a driver which is only $250.

Remember in the high tune the SSD will have 118db at 20hz but you will lose 14db at 15hz if you went for the SP4 at that frequency.

Just depends on how deep your pockets are.

cheers

Graham
post #9 of 21 Old 02-12-12, 01:43 PM
Senior Shackster
Jeremy

Quote:
Jetjones wrote: View Post
1. Sub needs to go down to 16hz while maintaining some good output.
2. Sub needs to have plenty of output in general.
Define "good output" - 120dB? 125dB? Is the room open to any other rooms?

I haven't plugged my own design in quite a while, so here goes: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...pped-horn.html

In addition to mine, four others are known to be out in the wild. A couple people have built two each for riser use. One EP2500 will power two of these bad boys to insane levels easily. One guy's running them at 200W each and seems quite happy. Downside is, you do need a fair amount of wood for these, and you really should highpass them, whether you push them hard or not.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-12-12, 01:47 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

I didn't mention a tapped horn on the basis that they are more complicated to build than a conventional ported sub. I guess with a design already there it's a case of getting the angled cuts correct for the path.

They are big boxes too.