DIY sealed sub build - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 74 Old 02-16-12, 05:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Re: DIY sealed sub build

Quote:
MattSPL wrote: View Post
I did see the Alpine swr-1542D. That looks like a nice driver. I was just unsure if it would provide the quality i'm after.
Those Alpine drivers are some fine fine drivers. They're klippel optimized so you can rest assured you'll get excellent quallity.

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 74 Old 02-16-12, 05:46 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

TC Epics cost around 169 from Partsexpress.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=293-650
The 13w7 I thought cost more than the LMSR. I could be wrong but I thought that subwoofer was around $700. And for that price I will gladly take four TC Sound Epics instead. LOL

And just as GranteedEV stated Alpine makes some very nice subwoofers.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #13 of 74 Old 02-16-12, 05:53 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
TC Epics cost around 169 from Partsexpress.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=293-650
The 13w7 I thought cost more than the LMSR. I could be wrong but I thought that subwoofer was around $700. And for that price I will gladly take four TC Sound Epics instead. LOL

And just as GranteedEV stated Alpine makes some very nice subwoofers.
The Epic is on back order though.

post #14 of 74 Old 02-16-12, 06:40 PM
Senior Shackster

A dual opposed 12" epic setup sounds promising!!
post #15 of 74 Old 02-16-12, 09:03 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Sorry I forgot to respond to your earlier question.

Yes the IDMax simulates very well for a HT sub. The TC Epics are nice and need about 1000 watts per box if they are dual opposed in 3cuft sealed. The ID's in 3cuft with 1200 watts will match the Epics with 1000.

Now the Epics with 1000watts are at Xmax at 10hz. And the ID Max's can take another 1000 watts to reach Xmax at 10hz. SO with a single cabinet dual opposed Epics and 1000 watts your at their limit at 10hz. With the IDMax's you have room to grow(spl wise) when you get more power.

I have not built anything using the ID's in a long time so I dont know much about their new products. I am just going by simulation. I used to have their IDQ's and horns in my car from about 10 years ago. They were awesome.

But last I remember their products are all made in Taiwan I think so I am not sure on their quality anymore. They have some good reviews but a lot of people saying their not as good as the old stuff like I once had. Memory lane...Thanks..LOL

[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #16 of 74 Old 02-17-12, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote:

Those Alpine drivers are some fine fine drivers. They're klippel optimized so you can rest assured you'll get excellent quallity.
I've found a place in Ireland that sells these drivers, but I've a feeling they aren't stocked here, just ordered from somewhere when you place the order on the Internet.
post #17 of 74 Old 02-17-12, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lsiberian wrote:

The JL won the upper range competition and lost the extension battle. Obviously an LMSR would beat the 12w7(F112) You could also use the axis or LMS Ultra. Be aware there have been quality control issues recently with TC. Maybe you could just get the JL Audio 13w7 since sealed is your goal. This would certainly give you plenty. Remember extension is box size limited not driver limited because you can only get so much air out of a certain size box. If you really want deep performance you need IB, Ported, or Horn loading. That said I prefer sealed builds for their simplicity. Cut the hole brace it for a hurricane and call it a day.

I plan to just add TC epic's.
I had thought about a 13w7, but they seem very expensive against the competition.

The TC epics look like very good value for money.

Cheers
Matt
post #18 of 74 Old 02-17-12, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Dual opposed 12's with something like the epics would be nice.
I'll have to draw a few ideas. I want to make a curved cabinet from layers of plywood, so need to see if a single 15 or dual 12 would be easier to build.

Cheers
Matt
post #19 of 74 Old 02-17-12, 05:19 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Dual opposed would be more difficult on a curved cabinet. You could always just have two stacked subwoofers as in one driver above the other.

But a single good quality 15 will do more than a single 13.5" driver or the 12W7 in a small sealed cabinet.

post #20 of 74 Old 02-17-12, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
chrapladm wrote:
Dual opposed would be more difficult on a curved cabinet. You could always just have two stacked subwoofers as in one driver above the other.

But a single good quality 15 will do more than a single 13.5" driver or the 12W7 in a small sealed cabinet.
Thanks for the info on the IDMax subs.

I might just stick with the single 15" sub idea then. It sounds like it will do what I'm after, then adding a second one later will definitely be better.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
Matt