DIY sealed sub build - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote:
The SSD drivers are 259 each where as the Q's are 369. I would probably go with dual SSD's and save yourself the money. The SSD's model exactly the same as the Q's in 3 cu ft boxes.

Costs:

4 x FI Q15's - 1476

4 x FI SSD15's - 1036

That's a saving off 440. That would buy your amps so have a good hard think before commiting to the Q's.
Is there any difference in sound quality between the Q and SSD?

I'm looking for the best SQ possible, and to beat a JL Audio f112.

Cheers
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 07:47 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Re: DIY sealed sub build

Its difficult for me to say as I have only owned the original Q's. There are people out there who say the Q's are a million miles away from the LMS driver in terms of SQ. You have to put the cost element in to perspective. You are best off asking Am to be honest.

One thing I have just noticed on the rms power ratings is that the Q's are now 1500 watts rms. Now that could be very interesting.

Let me know what he says.
post #33 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 09:00 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
MattSPL wrote: View Post
Is there any difference in sound quality between the Q and SSD?

I'm looking for the best SQ possible, and to beat a JL Audio f112.

Cheers
Matt
To beat the JL Audio you will need a TC driver. There are no other motors I'm aware of better than the W7(which is the JL Audio f112 motor)

The LMSR, AXIS and Ultra motors would all do the job of besting the JL Audio f112. If you want to be sure than just get an Ultra. The LMSR

I did a comparison of all 12s I knew of in winisd. Please note that these are tuned to .7 qtc. You can see the only two that win vs the JL Audio are the LMSR and Axis. Of course a bigger cone will give you better performance.

post #34 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 09:49 AM
Senior Shackster

What were the drivers you tested ? I can't see the screen shot you put up as its too blurry.
post #35 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 10:24 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

If you open the image in another window you should be able to zoom in on the image no problem. I could.
post #36 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 10:27 AM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Jstslamd wrote: View Post
What were the drivers you tested ? I can't see the screen shot you put up as its too blurry.
The drivers were tested by Illka in the Subwoofer tests archive of the forum. I don't have the land or money to do ground plane testing.(Ground plan is the standard for testing subwoofers now)
post #37 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Its difficult for me to say as I have only owned the original Q's. There are people out there who say the Q's are a million miles away from the LMS driver in terms of SQ. You have to put the cost element in to perspective. You are best off asking Am to be honest.

One thing I have just noticed on the rms power ratings is that the Q's are now 1500 watts rms. Now that could be very interesting.

Let me know what he says.
The impression i got from Am was that the SSD's are good drivers, but don't have as much power handling or Xmax as the Q drivers. So i guess it depends on the application, but the Q drivers are marketed as the SQ line of Fi drivers.
post #38 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
To beat the JL Audio you will need a TC driver. There are no other motors I'm aware of better than the W7(which is the JL Audio f112 motor)

The LMSR, AXIS and Ultra motors would all do the job of besting the JL Audio f112. If you want to be sure than just get an Ultra. The LMSR

I did a comparison of all 12s I knew of in winisd. Please note that these are tuned to .7 qtc. You can see the only two that win vs the JL Audio are the LMSR and Axis. Of course a bigger cone will give you better performance.
Thanks for the info

Do you happen to know what size box the LMS-R 15 and Axis 15 need to give a .7 qtc?

Cheers
Matt
post #39 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 11:08 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

3 cu ft for the LMS-15R. I would get a shipping cost first because to Ireland you are going to be looking at ALOT off money. I looked into getting seaton submersive sub from Mark Seaton shipped to the uk and it was extremely expensive. The Axis is $500 a piece and the LmS-15R is $433.

Times that by two, add UK vat, shipping and taxes. Also bare in mind if you have any issues you will have to ship it (out off your pocket) back to the states.

As good as the TC drivers are and there is no doubting it you have to think sensible here. Blade Ice are in the UK, they take care of all the shipping, any worries you just send it back to them.

Just think about the above before you commit that's all I say.
post #40 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
3 cu ft for the LMS-15R. I would get a shipping cost first because to Ireland you are going to be looking at ALOT off money. I looked into getting seaton submersive sub from Mark Seaton shipped to the uk and it was extremely expensive. The Axis is $500 a piece and the LmS-15R is $433.

Times that by two, add UK vat, shipping and taxes. Also bare in mind if you have any issues you will have to ship it (out off your pocket) back to the states.

As good as the TC drivers are and there is no doubting it you have to think sensible here. Blade Ice are in the UK, they take care of all the shipping, any worries you just send it back to them.

Just think about the above before you commit that's all I say.
Thanks

I'm waiting on Parts express to get back to me with a shipping quote on either a LMS-R 15 or Axis 15.

I bough the F112 from America and it cost about $800-900 is shipping and import duty, but still worked out a lot cheaper than the competition bought in the uk.

I think ill probably go with the Fi drivers, but just want to look at the options first.
I've also read that a new BDP driver is going to be released by Fi. I think its supposed to be better than the Q series.

Cheers
Matt