DIY sealed sub build - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 11:33 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Ive been chasing for those drivers for ages now but I am now thinking they may never come out. The just seems to been very little progress. There are certainly no updates on them and the website still is not live. Its a shame as FI seem to be qite forward thinking in developing new drivers aswell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Im in no real rush for the driver. I'll probably buy it in a month or 2, but need to decide what I'm going for so I can buy the wood and start building the enclosure.

Do you know anything about the Fi SP4 driver? It looks like a monster
post #43 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 02:36 PM
Shackster

Re: DIY sealed sub build

It's a shame we don't have a TC dealership in Europe since if you want the single best driver the ultra seems to do the job, anything less you might always wish you had got it but at shipping of $900 that's ridiculous and I won't be spending that.

post #44 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I'd really like the LMS 5400. I had sort of talked myself into it, but need to find out the shipping cost to work out the import duty also.

Then i was looking at the cost of the LMS + EQ + a big amp + about 4 sheets of Birch ply to build a layered ply box + a router to make the box, and the Funky waves 18 LMS sub starts to look appealing, but then you have the shipping and duty on that
post #45 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 02:59 PM
Shackster

Is birch ply better than mdf?
post #46 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 03:06 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Can i ask what other high end audio equipment you are running with the sub. The reason i ask is because you need to balance the quality in equipment i.e speakers, amps, processing etc... I see no real need to buy a top end sub if your not running top end speakers and amps to do it justice. You wouldn't buy a pair off speakers for 3000 and then run a 200 amp to run them. It would give us a good idea on the rest of your eqiupment.
post #47 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I think its supposed to be better performance wise, and weighs less.

I plan to stack curved layers together after cutting out the inside of each piece to form the cabinet. I've seen it done elsewhere, and the finish of the stacked ply passes the girlfriend test

I got these by her, so need a nice looking sub
post #48 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote: View Post
Can i ask what other high end audio equipment you are running with the sub. The reason i ask is because you need to balance the quality in equipment i.e speakers, amps, processing etc... I see no real need to buy a top end sub if your not running top end speakers and amps to do it justice. You wouldn't buy a pair off speakers for 3000 and then run a 200 amp to run them. It would give us a good idea on the rest of your eqiupment.
Just posted a pic above before i read you post.

They are ATC PA-65's. They are active 3 way's using ATC's mid dome and 15" SL bass driver.

Cheers
Matt
post #49 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 03:20 PM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Impressive speakers Matt. Do you mainly listen to music then.
post #50 of 74 Old 02-24-12, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
gperkins_1973 wrote:
Impressive speakers Matt. Do you mainly listen to music then.
Thanks

Yes i mainly listen to music. I listen to a bit of everything really, and look for music with deep bass content.

I also have the sky box and DVD player connected to the system. I guess the fact I don't own a Blu-ray player yet shows that my priorities lie in music.

Cheers
Matt