SI HT intro 15"/18" prototype news - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 07-11-12, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Nick

SI HT intro 15"/18" prototype news

I know it's been a while since we posted up anything about the intro line of HT subwoofers but we have recently completed the first prototypes. A quick refresher - these woofers are going to be very affordable subwoofers priced at under $200 tailored to the HT market (low F3's, ported freiendly, etc). I will publish more definite prices by the end of the week. These woofers will feature the following:

2.5" voice coil
20mm Xmax
Aluminum magnet ID shorting ring
Spiral cut CZA VC former with a black Nomex wrap
8" Nomex spider
Sewn-on leads
Large speaker terminals (will accept 4 AWG)
Cast aluminum basket
Proven and effective VC cooling method (air goes in below the spider, around the coil, and out the pole vent)
Paper cone finished smooth on the front side
Tall stitched-on rubber surround
Blank black dust cap (we listened to you guys during the poll we started a few months back!)
600 watts RMS power handling

These are just prototypes and we will be changing the suspension on them to better suit the HT style enclosure alignments better. The 15" prototype will work very well as it sits in 8 ft^3 tuned to 20 Hz with an F3 of of 17 Hz. We are modifying the suspensions to lower the Qt, raise Vas, etc, to where they will be more optimized for a tad smaller enclosures while keeping the low tuning and solid LFE.

Here are the pictures of the two woofers. The 18" is pictured first and the 15" pictured second:

Here are the T/S's on the 15" D2 Ohm prototype not fully broken in. These are the initial specs and they will change once we revise the suspension in a few weeks:

Re: 4.29 Ohms
Fs: 25.9 Hz
Qes: .63
Qms: 5.2
Qts: 0.56
Le: 3.0 mH
Sd: 80444.8 mm^2
Vas: 108.2 l
BL: 18.8
Mms: 320.6 g
Cms: 117.7
Sensitivity: 86.5 dB 1W/1M

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.

Last edited by Electrodynamic; 07-13-12 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-11-12, 02:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Re: SI HT intro 15"/18" prototype news

The 15 looks pretty good. LOVING the cast aluminum frame, and the dust cap! Haha! But with the highish qes on the 15 and what appears to be the same motor on the 18, won't qts be a bit high?

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
post #3 of 20 Old 07-11-12, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Nick

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
The 15 looks pretty good. LOVING the cast aluminum frame, and the dust cap! Haha! But with the highish qes on the 15 and what appears to be the same motor on the 18, won't qts be a bit high?
The Qts is higher on the 18" because both models share the same motor. That's why I posted above that we are revising the suspension on this model. The new, softer, suspension will suit both sizes better for home use. Keep in mind these are only prototypes, not production drivers. I posted this data up for you guys to see that we are indeed following up with what we said about coming out with these woofers.

Electrodynamic
You can email me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
about Stereo Integrity subwoofers.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-12-12, 01:53 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I look forward to your progress. I would love to have four more 18's to add to my subwoofer system. But that being said I would also like to try these 15's. I think 8 of them would be nice in two smallish opposed towers.

But reality would be two 18's or four 15's for me. SO things are looking promising. Any idea what type of time frame we are talking about for stock?

The 15 in 8 cubes and 20 tune looks like it will take 1000watts with a Hpass around 20hz. Fun fun. The only thing I am hoping for is specs to work better in smaller cabinets. SO far the only thing that is near this competition is the Dayton RF. But it would take four HO's to compete against two of these.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #5 of 20 Old 07-12-12, 08:34 AM
Senior Shackster
bg

Awesome! Thanks for the update, and eager to see the final parameters.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-12-12, 09:40 AM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

These are going to be under $200?!? That will be very impressive if the production units look anything like these protos.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-13-12, 12:30 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Those look great, I'm happy to see you settled on the stiching. Just the right blend of subtle and unique for HT appearance.

post #8 of 20 Old 07-13-12, 12:04 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
The only thing I am hoping for is specs to work better in smaller cabinets.
I'm with you on that; 8ft^3 is a seriously large cabinet. For $200 they look like amazing drivers though.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 20 Old 07-13-12, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb

Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
I'm with you on that; 8ft^3 is a seriously large cabinet. For $200 they look like amazing drivers though.
We're talking about 18" woofers here.... 8 cu ft for a vented sub is par for the course. If you want smaller, don't use a vent (20mm is pretty useful excursion for sealed). You can't get a 20hz tune without the internal air volume to meaningfully excite the port at the frequency!!

Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities, they mean nothing to us! We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are!
post #10 of 20 Old 07-13-12, 01:00 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
GranteedEV wrote: View Post
We're talking about 18" woofers here.... 8 cu ft for a vented sub is par for the course. If you want smaller, don't use a vent (20mm is pretty useful excursion for sealed). You can't get a 20hz tune without the internal air volume to meaningfully excite the port at the frequency!!
I still think it's on the large side, but I understand your point. I'm just hoping us acoustic suspension guys will be served by this driver too. Those spec's, at that price, make for a very enticing package.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite