"Fast action" sub - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
"Fast action" sub

Hi there,

Not sure how to explain this, I'll give it my best.

Pretty much all the info found here is how good the sub sounds, shaking the house, ...

More than a few year ago, I got enamoured with music and movies. I would stay on top of the news about new and great products. I was going to the best music and HT shop around, and staying countless hours listening and feeling the music and soundtracks on different systems.

I remember the first time I watched Lucas "Wow" disk when it came out. One bit caught my attention. The part when Indiana Jones and father are tied up, takes a swing and you can clearly hear the first pop as the the German hits Indy, and the second pop from the 2 heads bashing each other. 2 very distinct and clear "pops". And that was done with the old little Yamaha tower subs of the time, 8" drivers, 100w, 2 of them, in a room big enough to sit at least 8 people.

Years pass, life takes me to places, and I finally settled and have a place again.

I started to organise myself a movie / music room. Remembering the old days, I pick up a newer Yamaha 10" down firing box. Hmm... where's that fast action pop I used to feel and hear? The bass extension is there but it is all "fuzzy", not clear and define in a moment, but more a low end buzzing.

So, are there ways to find a sub based on how fast it performs, not how low it can go? I like lows of course, but I miss the fast and defined action I don't get with my present setup.

Thanks, and sorry to be so long !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 12:32 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: "Fast action" sub

There are actually quite a number of good subs to choose from, but without knowing what your budget and room size are the recommendations might not apply. If you can supply us with that info I'm sure we can come up with something.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 06:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve

There is no such thing as a "fast" sub per se. If a speaker doesn't produce the signal it is intended to in short enough of time window, it would show up in measurements as a distortion. The standard slew of measurements you will see on this forum as well as others - FR, harmonic distortion, group delay/spectral decay, and max output levels - tend to do a very good job of encompassing the overall performance of a subwoofer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thanks!

Sorry about not enough info.
Jman, my room is about 7m(W) x 5m(L) x 3.5m(H) so 122.5 square meters, or 1318.58 square feet.
Budget is unfortunately not unlimited... 300$ to 500$ top.

SC, I'll try to get to know REW. And take a few measurements. Which ones would I need here? I guess a waterfall, ... anything else?
post #5 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 08:26 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
perceval wrote: View Post
Jman, my room is about 7m(W) x 5m(L) x 3.5m(H) so 122.5 square meters, or 1318.58 square feet. Budget is unfortunately not unlimited... 300$ to 500$ top.
Unless I miss my calculations that's over 4300 cubic feet. If so, there's really not a $500 subwoofer made that will be able to fill that much space. Anything in that price range would end up being overwhelmed I'm afraid.

-Jim

post #6 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Aie! math causing me trouble again... I meant 122.5 cubic meters or 1318 cubic feet.
Sorry, didn't have my morning coffee yet when I wrote that post!
post #7 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 09:33 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
perceval wrote: View Post
Aie! math causing me trouble again... I meant 122.5 cubic meters or 1318 cubic feet. Sorry, didn't have my morning coffee yet when I wrote that post!
Can you verify your room measurements? You originally wrote 7m(W) x 5m(L) x 3.5m(H), which is about 4300 cubic feet. If it's not that large then you would have some options.

-Jim

post #8 of 32 Old 02-07-13, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Again... you are very right. My head is not too clear at the moment.

4300 cubic feet. Would 2 subs be enough then? Maybe building two 300$ subs instead of just one?

So, thinking out loud, the reason I don't have definition from my current setup is the room is too big for one sub only?

'cos from memory, my room is about the same size of the HT demo setup at the store I used to go, and they had great and defined bass "thump". I can't recall if they had one or two of those old Yamaha subs:

post #9 of 32 Old 02-08-13, 12:33 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

I cant say which you will think will sound fast or slow but I like sealed designs but for budget I like horn designs. And for tactile performance I lean towards FLH such as a THT or other out there. This is not to say that a TH or other design cant do tactile just what I have experienced and what I deem as a super budget build.

That being said everyone has their own opinion so I would suggest having a listen to different subs for yourself and going from there. You could always buy a SI 15" and use it in a sealed, ported or horned cabinet and see for yourself.

Anyone that is after a certain type of bass experience really should listen to all the different types and then go from there. I would also recommend listening to cabinets built with the same driver other wise there will always be huge variances and this will be a never ending exercise.

But that being said and living in Taiwan we can only make suggestions as to what we think will work for you.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-08-13, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Thanks a bunch!

Suggestions are the best advices I can have because, as you mentioned, I live in Taiwan and "demo" is not part of the vocabulary here. I can't demo anything. I have to rely on others opinions and feeling to get what I guess I will want. It's the same with my drums, mics, audio gear, etc... I can't take anything out of the box/package and try, they think the item is then "used" and they won't be able to sell it.

So, I will take all the info that you can share and tinker with it and hope for the best!

When you say "tactile", you mean the bass that I will feel, not hear, right?
For the size of the room, I guess I was leaning towards ported or horn. Horn does seem to take a lot of volume though, but probably the best "bang for the bucks" like you said.

Thanks again. I'll keep looking and asking questions, if you all don't mind!