$500 Subwoofer? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 29 Old 11-01-07, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Josuah

$500 Subwoofer?

So, if I want to put together a subwoofer for about $500 that hits 20Hz without distortion, and my primary concern is not SPL but in-room flat to 20Hz, what would people recommend? Note that I'm not interested in going DIY for the sake of DIY. If I can outsource or find a finished product for the same price, that works for me too. But you can usually do better with DIY.

Maybe my best bet is to pick up the 12" LT kit from Rythmik and find a local cabinet maker. The alternative is to get something like a VTF-2Mk3 except I think I'd like something that looked a little nicer. The SB12+ in Rosenut looks great, but it's more expensive at $750. Also, interested in a box design, not a tube one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-01-07, 11:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Re: $500 Subwoofer?

How about a Tempest X ($175) with a Dayton 500 watt amp or Oaudio 500 watt BASH amp ($230-40)? That leaves you $85 for wood, feet, wire, ports (if wanted), etc.

Or the 15" Rythmik kit ($530)?

Just a few thoughts of many that should fit the bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 10:01 AM
Senior Shackster
Warp

Quote:
BoomieMCT wrote: View Post

Or the 15" Rythmik kit ($530)?

Just a few thoughts of many that should fit the bill.

Wow, those are some really nice kits... I have heard of them many times, but never actually looked at them...

Those look like TC-1000 drivers... ? or similar at least...

Warp

post #4 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 10:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Yes, I believe the Rythmik drivers are made by TC Sounds.

post #5 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 12:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Rhythmik 15 kit for the win!
The drivers in the rhythmik kits are modified TC1000's.
post #6 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 12:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Depends on how much room gain there is, but the Rythimk kits probably fits the SQ > SPL criteria. If it is a big open room I wonder if that is still true as the Rythmik (being sealed) will need lots of EQ to get down to 20 Hz while a large EBL / LLT will not. Won't the low end EQ potentially add distortion? Anyone have insights into this?

In a moderate to small room the Rythmik is probably a no-brainer decision.

post #7 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 12:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Boom

Also, if you are really concerned about "in room flat" you will need to get some sort of EQ to deal with room modes and such. This site has lots of information about using Room EQ wizard with a Behringer BFD to deal with this (about $100 total). Others use pre-canned systems like the Velodyne SMS-1. I personally think this has more impact on the flatness of a sub than just about anything else.

post #8 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 12:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

He did say that he wasn't concerned with spl. The rhythmiks seem to have great sound quality and really flat response. The Rhythmik site mentions that you can go vented with them, but I haven't heard of anyone doing that(servo controlled+ported? Could be interesting).
post #9 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 03:17 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Josuah, I think you'll want to go with a 15" sub if you want to get down low. My Tempest project cost about $700 (CDN) I think at the time I did it, but there are certainly some cheaper options now. Mach 5 Audio have some nice inexpensive options, and I think there are others but I can't remember them off the top of my head. You can always keep an eye on Parts Express too, who have routine sales and aren't too pricey usually.

15" tends to be kind of the standard these days, so unless you need a small box, I'd go with a ported 15, tuned to 18Hz or so and put it in a fairly large enclosure.

Edit: I just read the thread about the new Tempest and Shiva drivers available here. I love my original Tempest and this one has nearly twice the excursion.

- OJ -

Last edited by Owen Bartley; 11-02-07 at 09:32 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-02-07, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Josuah

I think 12" is enough. I don't need 15" because I'm not concerned with SPL. The room isn't large, it's a bedroom, but it's always open to the rest of the house. I don't like to count on room gain until after the fact. I doubt I'll bother to stick an EQ into the chain, since this is a second set up. Maybe "relatively flat" would have been a better thing to say.

I guess I should also qualify that I'm not trying to build a reference sub here. My reference sub is a pair of 4' tall sealed sonotubes that are flat to [email protected]

So, what's the difference of the Rythmik servo kits compared to their LT kit? Maybe I missed something on their site, but don't really see anything describing why you would choose one over the other, if you could go ported servo or sealed LT. Seems like you could end up with the same clean frequency response using either of those approaches.