Subwoofer Project Internal Wiring - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-17-14, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Subwoofer Project Internal Wiring

I'm going to build two subs for my HT, my first speaker build (ever). Each will be Dayton 15" Ultimax in 3 cu ft sealed enclosures powered by one EP4000. I'm looking for help with the internal wiring.

I'm planning to use 12 gauge Belden speaker wire (stranded) since I have a 500' spool of it. On the speaker end I'm planning to put the stripped wire ends directly into the spring-loaded connectors. At the connection to the binding posts inside the box, I'm not sure if I should just solder the wire to the tab or if there is a connector that I should use. I'm leaning towards soldering.

Any advice?

Regards,
sga2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-17-14, 04:58 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Subwoofer Project Internal Wiring

Another option is if the tab is flat then you can use a 12 gauge wire connector.

Name:  termial.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  2.7 KB

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-17-14, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Another option is if the tab is flat then you can use a 12 gauge wire connector.
That was my first idea, but the tab is not wide enough for the connector to fit securely.

Regards,
sga2

post #4 of 6 Old 01-18-14, 03:41 PM
Senior Shackster

I have the same dilemma. Would the spring loaded connector of the subwoofer enough?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-18-14, 04:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob

You can take a small length of brass (or copper) tubing obtainable at hobby shops and slip it over the end of the stranded wire (choose an appropriate size to make a snug fit. Then solder it (apply heat to the tube and apply solder until all voids are filled). Use pliers or a vise to flatten the opposite end of the tube and slip it over the terminal connector and solder. You might want to slip a piece of heat shrink up the wire before the final connection and then slide it into place over your tube connection.

I personally prefer soldering because pressure fittings are always subject to corrosion (though the chance is low), and that could affect the connection.
Attachments
post #6 of 6 Old 01-18-14, 06:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
alfa-74 wrote: View Post
I have the same dilemma. Would the spring loaded connector of the subwoofer enough?
Yes.

We're all in this together!