Help with Sonotube planning - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

Send a message via Skype™ to busen19
Re: Help with Sonotube planning

Well I'm not that particular as to which driver. I have some fixed variables and I've stated my performance goals. I'm hoping I can get some guidance to the rest.

Fixed is budget at $750 and I'd obviously like to spend as little as possible to reach my goal.

Fixed is driver size at 12". A 16" diameter tube is as about as big as my wife will allow so that leaves me with a 12" driver.

Fixed is gross volume. The diameter is set at 16" and I don't think I can go higher than 36-40 inches for WAF reasons.

So with those fixed, I was hoping to get help on driver, amp port vs sealed design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 09:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

You tube diameter and height restriction make it impossible for a ported design. With about 100 liters net volume I can only think of a dual 12" sealed design like dual TC Sounds Epic 12's with a iNuke 1000 amp. That would match the output of the SVS at 20 hz, be about 40 inches tall with the legs and baseplate included, and would cost $535.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #13 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

Sweet! Are there examples of this type of design or is it something you just cooked up

post #14 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 11:39 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
busen19 wrote: View Post
Sweet! Are there examples of this type of design or is it something you just cooked up
It's easy enough to get around SVS performance (if you know how to read things) or beyond fairly modestly. The hard part is doing it in the same size enclosure which I now notice in your original post. Higher excursion drivers with more ability want larger enclosures just like you see in the SVS line.

Last edited by steve nn; 03-05-14 at 01:18 AM.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 11:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Quote:
It's been done before.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...aled-sono.html

Dual opposed tubes is what bossobass sells.

http://www.bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Raptor.html

post #16 of 29 Old 03-06-14, 09:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Playing off the Fi suggestion - you could go with an Fi Q driver loaded with options and have enough for your sonotube and amp of choice with money left over to have a local cut your baffles.

Want to push the budget and you could aim for 2 bare bones Fi Q drivers in 36" tall x 16" diameter sonotube dual opposed and a used Berry amp that will kick out 3k watts into a 4ohm load. That would take some budget overage or creativity to get some parts, but would be well worth it.

The only thing better than the ladder would be if you could separate the cabinets into two 18" tall tubes for FR smoothing. But that gets into more wood too.

With your budget I think you have lots of driver options. The biggest thing you should be searching for is a great deal on having some baffles cut, of course once you know the dimensions.

It's always easy to sneak in 20.00 $$ of carpet (to cover the sonotube), paint, etc..... as time goes by.

I've been sneaking sheets of OC 703 for sound deadening for a couple months now. A couple here and a couple there.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-07-14, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

Thanks! I will try to model that 12 Q driver you mentioned. I plan on keeping my FF 3 for freq smoothing. It is rated to 18 hz.
post #18 of 29 Old 03-07-14, 06:47 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

The Fi Q 18 was tested and it has a high Le which affected the frequency response in a sealed design, I'm assuming the smaller subs would be the same.

post #19 of 29 Old 03-07-14, 10:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Matt

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
The Fi Q 18 was tested and it has a high Le which affected the frequency response in a sealed design, I'm assuming the smaller subs would be the same.
The ssd and ssa xcon both reviewed similar to the Q in terms of Le. So, if that is an issue for the OP he might look else where. It came to mind because the build above used the Fi ssd.
post #20 of 29 Old 03-08-14, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

I've been doing a lot of reading and maybe I was too quick to jump on a sonotube build. With a footprint of only 4-5 inches larger I could go with a sealed box and it would be easier to build imo.

What kind of output could I expect with the following build?

(1) 15" Dayton Audio UM15-22 ~$200
(1) 1 3.0 cu ft. sealed flat pack box ~ $100
Heres the link:Link
(1) iNuke 1000 ~$150

Without misc. like polyfill, terminals, paint, etc... I'm looking at $450 for one sub and a lot easier to build imo. I could even maybe build 2. If it's that good I'll just sell my FF 3!

I tried to model this, but WinISD alpha keeps crashing on me. Also how do I take into account room gain?

I will be using an Emotiva Fusion 8100 which is essentially a UMC-200 with a 7 channel amp so I'll have PEQ to boost the lower freq. I also have a Cross-Spectrum UMIK-1 and plan to run REW. So with that in mind - is this a candidate? Thanks