Help with Sonotube planning - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

Send a message via Skype™ to busen19
Help with Sonotube planning

I know this is probably a basic question but...

Can someone tell me if I understand this correctly? I was looking at SVS PC12-NSD for $749 shipped. I thought I could probably build one cheaper and as good if not better.

So I like the look of a cylinder sub, it fits my space the best. A box is out of the question. I currently have a Force Field 3 which is tiny and my wife hates it.

So hereís where I need some clarification. My goal is for a cheap as possible Ė with a max budget of $749 to get a sub that will play pretty solid down to 16 Hz. And due to my (lack of) wood working skills and my space, it has to be a tube sub.

Iím looking at the SoundSplinter RL-P12 as the sub (Iím definitely open to suggestions on that choice). It says optimal volume for a 16.5 Hz Fb is 2.5 ft^3 for a vented enclosure. Thatís it?

I can get a 16 inch diameter QuickCrete form at Lowes pretty cheap. SoÖ

Vc= pi * r^2 * h

2.5 = pi * ((16/12)/2)^2 * h --> 2.5 = 1.3962 * h --> h = 1.79 ft or 21 7/16 inches tall?

Thatís it? I must be doing something wrong here. My math tells me my sub will be 16 inches wide by less than 2 feet tall (roughly)

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

Re: Help with Sonotube planning

I just realized I put this in the wrong section... can this get moved to the general discussion since this is really a general help questions?
post #3 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Thread moved. Do you have the Sound Slpinter driver?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

No I haven't bought anything yet still planning. I just picked out this one because it looked like it could go low in a relatively small enclosure. I have no idea what I'm doing though so input is welcome
post #5 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 12:56 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Sound Slplinter is no longer available. I'm currently on my way to work and will be back here later today.

post #6 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

Quote:
Mike P. wrote: View Post
Sound Slplinter is no longer available. I'm currently on my way to work and will be back here later today.
Really? It gives me the option to buy

http://www.soundsplinter.com/rlp12_s...formation.html
post #7 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 01:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

They closed shop a while ago, obviously the website has been taken down for some reason.

post #8 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
busen19

looks like I need to search for a new driver. I was also looking at Dayton and TC Sounds
post #9 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 06:22 PM
Senior Shackster

steve

Quote:
busen19 wrote: View Post
Looks like I need to search for a new driver. I was also looking at Dayton and TC Sounds
Both good drivers but you could go something like this if budget is a concern? You could actually build two of them for your budget if you like. A few of us just had a long discussion and a member made a very good case regarding. http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...m_campaign=pla

The 12" is also a option http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--295-185
or dual Infinity 1260w's.

Your first two driver options are definitely good options imo though. Sorry if I but in, I didn't mean to.

Last edited by steve nn; 03-04-14 at 06:50 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 03-04-14, 06:54 PM
Shackster

Like the originator, I have few to no carpentry skills. As such, depending upon how low he wishes to set his standards, I offer my Carpentry-Free (or nearly) so options for subs. Look at other threads of mine here if you really want, but the cheapest I've found is just buy a 12 foot long Sonotube or equivalent that will fit your driver (I use a 12") and you can literally stick the driver inside (if it will fit), or for more permanence do something like the "El-Pipe-O" and make a collar or box for the subs. You get quite good performance for the cost of the driver + maybe $50 (for a 12" x 12' tube). You pay the price in appalling appearance

If you want something that looks like furniture rather than a construction site, keep reading! Good luck.