Question about Sub drivers and DVC wiring - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-14, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Question about Sub drivers and DVC wiring

Hello.

My Father has purchased a Crown XLS 1500 amp for use in his studio. I'm considering building him a subwoofer rather than him purchasing one. I'm really liking the Dayton Ultimax series.

What I would like to know is the XLS 1500 he just purchased has Speakon outputs. If I were to build him a sub I would like to use Speakons on the sub cabinet for inputs. The crown can use Speakons with two sets of positives and negatives.

Would there be any advantage to running +'s and -"s to each coil verses wiring them in parallel?

Also, my other question has to do with drivers. His studio is 18x24 what would be the difference between a pro audio driver vs the Ultimax, or any other non pro driver. Even buying a passive JBL or Electrovoice.

Thank you.

Jerid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-14, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Question about Sub drivers and DVC wiring

One more thing, From what I've read, most say there is no sound difference going between 4 ohms and 2 ohms sound quality wise. "mostly car audio site".

How about Theater / HiFi?

Jerid
post #3 of 8 Old 03-06-14, 07:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Welcome to HTS!

In general the load impedance has little to do with sound quality. Ideally all it impacts is how much power you can get out of your amp. There would be no advantage of running dual mono, what you mentioned, over wiring the coils together and bridging the amp. Save yourself the extra wiring and just bridge the amp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-06-14, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank you for the response.

Also, Seeing as the Dayton Ultimax 18 is a new woofer and there aren't a lot of build infor out there. I was curious about cabinet specs. Would 4 - 4.25 cuft be enough for good response? If not, what do yall recommend for cabinet volume?

Jerid
post #5 of 8 Old 03-06-14, 07:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Yeah looks like 4.2cuft is what they recommend for sealed, probably with some light fill.

post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-14, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks a lot
post #7 of 8 Old 03-09-14, 10:28 PM
Senior Shackster

The XLS series have Speakon outputs AND 5 way binding posts.

I have two XLS 2000's and the easiest way to hookup the speaker output (in my opinion) is using the 5 way binding posts. I bought some solder-less bananna plugs and use those whenever I hookup speakers to the Crown XLS'.

FYI, the Speakon is just the connector, it has nothing to do with input/output like RCA or XLR does. You can have the amp output to Speakon and the input of the subwoofer using bare wire.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-10-14, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank you.