Advice on a new build please, Beginner - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 10-25-14, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Advice on a new build please, Beginner

HI Guys,

I am fed up of repairing my old KEF 2010 sub, 3rd time, and i fancy an upgrade anyway,
The kef is a sealed 250w 10" sub. About 300mm cubed.

Its part of my HT set up, which a a 7.1 full size kEF speaker and Projector system , used for movies and everyday TV.

I would like to build one, so i need advice on a amp, speakers and enclosure.

My only constraint is that it will set behind the TV cabinet and the wall, which is a 350mm gap, height is ok up to 450mm and with roughly 1300mm

So a max dimension of 350Wx450Hx1.3mL Height can be streched to suit an 18" woofer if need be.

Open to just one speaker or multiple units.sealed or ported. Want it to integrate well.

So would be nice to have some real depth to the bass, obviously i would like it to be better than what its replacing.

So im in your hands, Ideas please.

Last edited by Tim20; 10-26-14 at 01:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-25-14, 07:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Re: Advice on a new build please, Beginner

You have plenty of room for most subwoofers 15-18. What is your budget?

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #3 of 14 Old 10-26-14, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
You have plenty of room for most subwoofers 15-18. What is your budget?
Hi open really, but ideally around £300 pounds, i looked at a build on here that was a inuke 1000dsp and a SI 18"

My current sub is a 10" (will going from a 10" to a 15 or 18" make the sound lazy??slow in comparison?

post #4 of 14 Old 10-26-14, 04:07 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

No. Some times an alignment or "cabinet design,' can make the sound "slow," or dynamic. If you have a 10" and then design a very similar setup for both within their own T/S parameters you should have a very similar sound. Although its very hard for a 10" to give the presence an 18 does. BUT if you had the same amount of 10's to equal the size of an 18 then it would be very very hard to tell if the only thing that was significantly changed between the two was just size of driver used.

So fear not when using an 18" subwoofer. I am not sure what is in your area for 300 pounds. What car audio options do you have?

The other option is to order something like a UM15 Dayton 18 and have it shipped to you. Not sure on exact prices delivered to you. With your constraints your looking at a single 15/18" sealed with around 3.5cuft/108L

Most car audio drivers do very well in small enclosures. SO that is an option depending on whats available to you.

“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #5 of 14 Old 10-26-14, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
No. Some times an alignment or "cabinet design,' can make the sound "slow," or dynamic. If you have a 10" and then design a very similar setup for both within their own T/S parameters you should have a very similar sound. Although its very hard for a 10" to give the presence an 18 does. BUT if you had the same amount of 10's to equal the size of an 18 then it would be very very hard to tell if the only thing that was significantly changed between the two was just size of driver used.

So fear not when using an 18" subwoofer. I am not sure what is in your area for 300 pounds. What car audio options do you have?

The other option is to order something like a UM15 Dayton 18 and have it shipped to you. Not sure on exact prices delivered to you. With your constraints your looking at a single 15/18" sealed with around 3.5cuft/108L

Most car audio drivers do very well in small enclosures. SO that is an option depending on whats available to you.
Where do I learn about cabinate design?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-26-14, 04:42 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Well there are quite a few books out there you could read. I myself have built quite a few cabinets according to simulations and then measured to see how close they were to simulation. Then I listen with my ears after EQ'ing to see if I like them or not.

Sealed is quite easy after a simulation. Simulate a few drivers that have a short list of that are avilable. Then build a simple sealed cabinet with MDF or PLY. Buy an external EQ and amp install the driver and have a listen. EQ from there and poof.......your done. Simple.

post #7 of 14 Old 10-27-14, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well there are quite a few books out there you could read. I myself have built quite a few cabinets according to simulations and then measured to see how close they were to simulation. Then I listen with my ears after EQ'ing to see if I like them or not.

Sealed is quite easy after a simulation. Simulate a few drivers that have a short list of that are avilable. Then build a simple sealed cabinet with MDF or PLY. Buy an external EQ and amp install the driver and have a listen. EQ from there and poof.......your done. Simple.
Hi, what do you use for the simulations?
post #8 of 14 Old 10-27-14, 08:03 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

WinISD is the most common tool. An even more advanced modeler is WBCD, but it requires Excel to run. If you are lucky someone will volunteer to model a design for you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-27-14, 09:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
fusseli wrote: View Post
WinISD is the most common tool. An even more advanced modeler is WBCD, but it requires Excel to run. If you are lucky someone will volunteer to model a design for you
WinISD does'nt require Excel ?
post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-14, 08:33 AM
GPM
Senior Shackster

GM

No, though recommend using the Pro version:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...inisd-pro.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...pro-files.html

GM

Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.