Trouble for the 21" curved box build - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

Trouble for the 21" curved box build

I've been enjoying my 21" DIY sub for 4 years now, but I've hit a problem.

The other day I was doing some rewiring in my audio rack and I think I accidentally turned up the gain on the ep4000 powering my sub. I was taking a shower with the system turned to the maximum I would normally turn it up to and when I went back into the living room there was a loud rattling sound coming from the driver. It wasn't a clunk like it was hitting a stopper, but a metallic rattle like something was loose. I took it apart and the noise seems to be coming from the center of the cone. You can hear the noise pretty good on the you tube vid. I don't know much about repairing subs. I'm looking for advice on if this can be fixed. If not I guess I'll have to start looking for a replacement driver for my enclosure.

Maelstrom 21" build in a sealed 7 cu ft curved box

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 01:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System
Re: Trouble for the 21" curved box build

try manually lifting the speaker cone and inspect the spider for brakes. Could also be the voicecoil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 01:42 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

To me it sounds like the voice coil might be rubbing up against the magnet. If that's true there's probably little you can do with it, given the company is out of business.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

post #4 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 01:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
corock wrote: View Post
I've been enjoying my 21" DIY sub for 4 years now, but I've hit a problem.

The other day I was doing some rewiring in my audio rack and I think I accidentally turned up the gain on the ep4000 powering my sub. I was taking a shower with the system turned to the maximum I would normally turn it up to and when I went back into the living room there was a loud rattling sound coming from the driver. It wasn't a clunk like it was hitting a stopper, but a metallic rattle like something was loose. I took it apart and the noise seems to be coming from the center of the cone. You can hear the noise pretty good on the you tube vid. I don't know much about repairing subs. I'm looking for advice on if this can be fixed. If not I guess I'll have to start looking for a replacement driver for my enclosure.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPYo-T1AVo
this enclosure is beautiful. May i ask about the building process? Did you post it somewhere?

regards
post #5 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 01:49 PM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System

Quote:
alfa-74 wrote: View Post
this enclosure is beautiful. May i ask about the building process? Did you post it somewhere?

regards
It's in his signature.

That is a disheartening sound...

What would even be a suitable replacement driver? For such an awesome enclosure, it not only would have to perform well, it would have to look just as high class. The bar is set pretty high with that enclosure!
post #6 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

my first thought was voice coil, which I knew would be trouble, but I have no idea if something like that could be repaired.

post #7 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 03:46 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

Could be VC if you bottomed the driver. Which being metallic in sound MAY be the cause. I hope its something else. The Mach 5 FTW woofer would be a great fit for the enclosure. BUT I do hope this can be fixed. One of the last Mal 21's I know of.

"Music is the space between the notes"
“[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.”
post #8 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

corock

Quote:
chrapladm wrote: View Post
The Mach 5 FTW woofer would be a great fit for the enclosure.
Thanks for that info. At least I know there is an alternative available if this Mal can't be fixed.

I was thinking I might have to replace my DIY with a JL Fathom f212 or Paradigm Sub 1. Not only is the expense of those subs uninviting, but the thought of losing my enclosure as well.

post #9 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 06:15 PM
Senior Shackster

Brandon

My System
You could make a ring adapter for a SI 18 if there's no saving the 21 so you don't lose the enclosure.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-11-14, 08:10 PM
Senior Shackster
Jason

I have two Mael 21's. I did a sonobuild that lasted all of two months before I destroyed the tubes to try to sell my house. The drivers are sitting in storage. I planned on building two sealed boxes someday. Not exactly motivated, but if the money was right I may sell.