Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/)
-   -   Car Subwoofer (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/173825-car-subwoofer.html)

scubastan81 03-28-18 10:25 PM

Car Subwoofer

Hi all
Id like to ask some of you that have some experience with Car Subwoofers.
I have car sub that was $$$ at the time with custom box built for it.
It the car it sounded amazing and was a great sub.
Its now standing without use unfortunately.

Question is- is there a specific sub that can be mounted on top of the sub box to power the sub and used with my onkyo or Rotel stereo amps?

All car sub installs ive seen on the net so far a a bit ugly.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

theJman 03-29-18 03:04 PM

Re: Car Subwoofer

Quote:

scubastan81 wrote: (Post 1606105)
Id like to ask some of you that have some experience with Car Subwoofers.
I have car sub that was $$$ at the time with custom box built for it.
It the car it sounded amazing and was a great sub.
Its now standing without use unfortunately.

The T/S parameters for car and home audio drivers differ in some pretty significant ways because where/how they're used is significantly different. Ultimately you can build a HT subwoofer from a driver designed for a car, but it's unlikely to perform as well as one built for home use from the get-go.

Quote:

scubastan81 wrote: (Post 1606105)
Question is- is there a specific sub that can be mounted on top of the sub box to power the sub and used with my onkyo or Rotel stereo amps?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. Do you want to 'tap' into the amplifier from a commercial subwoofer to power a DIY sub?

scubastan81 03-29-18 05:48 PM

Quote:

theJman wrote: (Post 1606137)
The T/S parameters for car and home audio drivers differ in some pretty significant ways because where/how they're used is significantly different. Ultimately you can build a HT subwoofer from a driver designed for a car, but it's unlikely to perform as well as one built for home use from the get-go.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. Do you want to 'tap' into the amplifier from a commercial subwoofer to power a DIY sub?

Id like to use something like a plate amp or external amp to power the sub and connect it to Home theatre system.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

theJman 03-29-18 08:13 PM

OK, that makes sense now.

You don't mention which driver you have, so I don't know the specifics about it's capabilities, but one area a lot of car audio drivers fall short in is lower extension. Frequently they are not designed for deep bass, only loud bass. In a HT most people want deep bass, so that's probably something to consider.