Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/)
-   -   "There is no replacement for displacement" or is there? (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/22756-there-no-replacement-displacement-there.html)

Ryan Anderson 11-10-09 04:02 PM

"There is no replacement for displacement" or is there?

Great big linear drivers that can handle the power required to push them in large vented enclosures. Regular drivers in super efficient horns. How can they compare? Do they compare? Using the same driver, can you load 1 in a horn and make it out perform 4 of the same drivers in an LLT? Now I know you want high excursion drivers in LLT's but high efficient drivers in horns... but I hope you get my question.

looneybomber 11-10-09 04:28 PM

Re: "There is no replacement for displacement" or is there?

The downside is folded horns need huge enclosures in order to tune low. Tapped horns don't need to be quite as big as a folded horn but I'm not educated enough on either to discuss them in a worth while manner.

I know I like the sound of folded horns. :)

Ryan Anderson 11-10-09 05:49 PM

well if 1 driver and 1 large enclosure is equal in output to 4 mid sized enclosures, wouldn't you rather 1 large tapped horn over 4 small-medium sized.... plus less power required.

ignoring the smoothing capabilities of 4 separately placed enclosures...

looneybomber 11-10-09 10:26 PM

Well, let's start putting titles to these drivers. DTS-10 vs. SDX-15's or Tempest-X's, etc...

I'd love to have 2 to use as a riser for the couch, but can't afford it. 1 would be nice, and you could build it into a riser. I, however, am not owning a house so I still move around periodically and moving a big ~300lb sub would SUCK! Moving 4 medium sized 15" subs is much easier even though there would likely be a drop in performance.

SteveCallas 11-11-09 12:37 AM

The parameters for a good driver suited to horn use are different than the parameters for a good driver suited to LLT use. Horns have huge displacement, it's just the driver that is used in the horn that doesn't have large displacement.

I've yet to see a horn subwoofer design that offers a better balance of performance than a good LLT dollar for dollar.

Ryan Anderson 11-11-09 01:00 AM

OK... so this DTS-10 SUPER SPUD. What would I have tio do to a 21" maelstrom-X to equate it? Or, would a 21" Maelstrom-X easily beat it?

SteveCallas 11-11-09 11:07 PM

Has it been measured?

DrWho 11-11-09 11:10 PM

Quote:

SteveCallas wrote: (Post 205370)
I've yet to see a horn subwoofer design that offers a better balance of performance than a good LLT dollar for dollar.

I can't imagine that you've seen very many horn designs then...

Any driver will perform better after putting a horn in front of it.

michael hurd 11-12-09 01:10 AM

Quote:

DrWho wrote: (Post 205619)
I can't imagine that you've seen very many horn designs then...

Any driver will perform better after putting a horn in front of it.

I'd rephrase that to "Any driver will perform better after putting a 'PROPER' horn in front of it. :D

Case in point, the same driver that can be used in a small sealed box will not necessarily work better in a tapped horn, however it may work fantastic in a big bass horn. ( folded or straight )

It's all in the parameters. Same goes for a driver that works well in a sealed box, it may not be any good at all in a vented box.

Ricci 11-12-09 01:13 PM

Yep. Granted I'm no jedi yet, but just from talking to Tom through e-mail and fooling around in HR for the last few months I can say that some drivers just flat out don't do well in a TH, while they may rock in a FLH or ported enclosure.