Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/)
-   -   New build: MKIII, RSS390HF or IXL driver (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/30671-new-build-mkiii-rss390hf-ixl-driver.html)

Doc 07-05-10 05:21 PM

New build: MKIII, RSS390HF or IXL driver

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

After reading for months:nerd:, I have decided to build a sub. At first my thoughts were to build an IB sub. But with some concerns of shaking up the roof structures :scared:, and more so after some modeling in WinISD, decided to go with ported sub (for now). Now, which driver to use? I have been eying Dayton RSS390HF-4 due to reasonable costs ($159) and good reviews. But then with a little more ... some others could be good contenders. After doing more research I have added Titanik MKIII from Dayton ($179), Mach audio IXL 15.2.2 ($199) and Creative sound Trio-12 with 15"passive radiator and 500w amp (all for $379). I have modeled all these on winISD, but have created more questions. I am looking for some help. Thanks in advance.

First, I will start with pictures of the room.

Screen to back wall is 22 feet, side to side is 16 feet. Height on the sides is about 6 ft, in middle at 8 feet. There is about 25 inches depth under the screen and on the sides of the screen. The screen wall is about 10.5 feet wide. the riser in the back is 12 ft x 6 ft, and 8 inch high. I still have to paint the screen (Black Widow - next weekend) and have the carpet installed -2 weeks.

My IB plan was to place the speaker just under the screen with a box enclosure open to the back where it opens to attic space close to 1500 cubic feet and lined completely with icynene. However, now I will likely create a ported enclosure in the same place - under the screen, in the middle, with bottom, back and top attached to the framing structure for added bracing. This bracing may help me get away with single 3/4 inch MDF, and I have to use two layers only on the sides and the front. Also appearance does not have to great other than the front. In addition, this allows me to create a box with up to 12-14 cubic feet volume.

I will place the modeling in the next post.

-Doc.

Doc 07-05-10 06:04 PM

Re: New build: MKIII, RSS390HF or IXL driver

3 Attachment(s)
Now the modeling.

I have posted three files. All are modeled with high pass filters and low pass filters in place. The cone excursions at 300 watts reach the peak xmax in Dayton RSS390HF at 25 Hz. Others are significantly below. Although at first glance Daytons look very good, they are with enclosure at 12 cubic ft:whistling: So with construction design ease in mind, probably the IXL looks to be winner.

At first my plan was to get Behringer amp - either EP2000 or even EP4000. I did that due to possibility that I may "Need" a second sub in the theater and I can power both with same. In that case I actually save some money. But with possibly 12 c.ft enclosure, I may not have room for second one. Now I am thinking of getting Oaudio Bash amp This one has built in high pass filter, parametric equalizer for room mode and also some people report it to be good. If needed, I will add Behringer BFD or EQ later on.

My questions are:

1. Have I modeled correctly? - if any mistakes is spotted please help me correct it first.
2. I can not recreate the manufacturer's graph for CSS TRIO. I think that is because I do not know how to add boost at 25-30 db. How do I correct this? is it just adding some watts behind it?
3. Which driver and design would the experts and experienced folks here recommend? If you have something else in mind please go ahead. However, I do not want to spend $400 for the driver alone (Malestrom)

I may have more questions later. Thanks for help again.

-Doc

Mike P. 07-05-10 06:27 PM

To help find the best option for you state what you're willing to pay for a sub and amp.

Doc 07-05-10 07:04 PM

Thanks Mike for quick reply. I am trying to keep amp and driver for under $600.

MDF, paint and other construction supply is not concern as probably most I have sitting around from other projects over time.

Mike P. 07-05-10 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I came up with a pair of TRIO12's in 10 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz. Powered by a Crown XLS 1000 amp that is 350 watts per channel.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=245-500

The amps response rolls off below 20 hz so you wouldn't need a hi-pass filter. This would be close to your budget and offer more output than a 15 inch sub.

Attachment 22584

mdrake 07-05-10 08:43 PM

Quote:

Mike P. wrote: (Post 274593)
I came up with a pair of TRIO12's in 10 cu.ft. tuned to 20 hz. Powered by a Crown XLS 1000 amp that is 350 watts per channel.

The amps response rolls off below 20 hz so you wouldn't need a hi-pass filter. This would be close to your budget and offer more output than a 15 inch sub.

Attachment 22584

That would be a FUN combination. I have the XLS 802 and it works great.

Matt

ironglen 07-05-10 11:45 PM

Cool room- what mains and projector will you be running?

That's a nice looking response, especially for that budget. The trio looks like a great speaker for the price, and that crown amp looks sweet.

Doc 07-06-10 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Mike P. wrote: (Post 274593)

Attachment 22584

Thank you. I tried to simulate the same, but came up a bit short on SPL compared to yours. Interestingly, Dayton Titanic 15" and two CSS 12 inch are nearly identical. Hmmm, $320 for CSS vs $180 for Titanic!:scratch: Decisions, Decisions. I will think about this for a day.

Doc 07-06-10 01:27 AM

Quote:

ironglen wrote: (Post 274670)
Cool room- what mains and projector will you be running?

Thanks.

I am going to keep my entry level Sony system ($1000 about five years back) for now. They sound great, at least to me. My main purpose is movies, not music. Eventually, would like to make another DIY project, or buy SVS system.

Projectors is a long story. With my budget at about $2500, I have narrowed down to Panasonic AE4000 and Benq W6000. My preference is Panasonic, but may have to settle with Benq despite somewhat lower quality per reviews. Multiple factors play in the decision: screen width 120" with CIH projection. Use of anamorphic lens. I still have to get the lens - either prisms or cylindrical - either one I will probably make it. I am actually working on it. But that is another story and another forum.

Mike P. 07-06-10 05:46 AM

Quote:

Interestingly, Dayton Titanic 15" and two CSS 12 inch are nearly identical
Using the same amp, you are correct. I obviously made a mistake when I previously compared them, sorry about that. Given the price difference I'd go with the Titanic 15.