Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/)
-   DIY Subwoofers - General Discussion (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/)
-   -   Trouble for the 21" curved box build (https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/99849-trouble-21-curved-box-build.html)

corock 11-11-14 01:25 PM

Trouble for the 21" curved box build

I've been enjoying my 21" DIY sub for 4 years now, but I've hit a problem.

http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/P1000507.jpg

The other day I was doing some rewiring in my audio rack and I think I accidentally turned up the gain on the ep4000 powering my sub. I was taking a shower with the system turned to the maximum I would normally turn it up to and when I went back into the living room there was a loud rattling sound coming from the driver. It wasn't a clunk like it was hitting a stopper, but a metallic rattle like something was loose. I took it apart and the noise seems to be coming from the center of the cone. You can hear the noise pretty good on the you tube vid. I don't know much about repairing subs. I'm looking for advice on if this can be fixed. If not I guess I'll have to start looking for a replacement driver for my enclosure.

Andre 11-11-14 01:39 PM

Re: Trouble for the 21" curved box build

try manually lifting the speaker cone and inspect the spider for brakes. Could also be the voicecoil

theJman 11-11-14 01:42 PM

To me it sounds like the voice coil might be rubbing up against the magnet. If that's true there's probably little you can do with it, given the company is out of business.

alfa-74 11-11-14 01:43 PM

Quote:

corock wrote: (Post 981969)
I've been enjoying my 21" DIY sub for 4 years now, but I've hit a problem.

The other day I was doing some rewiring in my audio rack and I think I accidentally turned up the gain on the ep4000 powering my sub. I was taking a shower with the system turned to the maximum I would normally turn it up to and when I went back into the living room there was a loud rattling sound coming from the driver. It wasn't a clunk like it was hitting a stopper, but a metallic rattle like something was loose. I took it apart and the noise seems to be coming from the center of the cone. You can hear the noise pretty good on the you tube vid. I don't know much about repairing subs. I'm looking for advice on if this can be fixed. If not I guess I'll have to start looking for a replacement driver for my enclosure.

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPYo-T1AVo

this enclosure is beautiful. May i ask about the building process? Did you post it somewhere?

regards

BD55 11-11-14 01:49 PM

Quote:

alfa-74 wrote: (Post 982001)
this enclosure is beautiful. May i ask about the building process? Did you post it somewhere?

regards

It's in his signature.

That is a disheartening sound...

What would even be a suitable replacement driver? For such an awesome enclosure, it not only would have to perform well, it would have to look just as high class. The bar is set pretty high with that enclosure!

corock 11-11-14 02:24 PM

my first thought was voice coil, which I knew would be trouble, but I have no idea if something like that could be repaired.

chrapladm 11-11-14 03:46 PM

Could be VC if you bottomed the driver. Which being metallic in sound MAY be the cause. I hope its something else. The Mach 5 FTW woofer would be a great fit for the enclosure. BUT I do hope this can be fixed. One of the last Mal 21's I know of.

corock 11-11-14 05:56 PM

Quote:

chrapladm wrote: (Post 982105)
The Mach 5 FTW woofer would be a great fit for the enclosure.

Thanks for that info. At least I know there is an alternative available if this Mal can't be fixed.

I was thinking I might have to replace my DIY with a JL Fathom f212 or Paradigm Sub 1. Not only is the expense of those subs uninviting, but the thought of losing my enclosure as well.

BD55 11-11-14 06:15 PM

You could make a ring adapter for a SI 18 if there's no saving the 21 so you don't lose the enclosure.

Jason_Nolan 11-11-14 08:10 PM

I have two Mael 21's. I did a sonobuild that lasted all of two months before I destroyed the tubes to try to sell my house. The drivers are sitting in storage. I planned on building two sealed boxes someday. Not exactly motivated, but if the money was right I may sell.