Flat Frequency "Loudness" @ Any Volume Level - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 19 Old 01-15-15, 02:07 PM

Re: Flat Frequency "Loudness" @ Any Volume Level

I find a greater need for different EQ profiles at any particular volume level. The differences in recordings are massive, and in many cases disappointing. I would love another profile that made a gross adjustment for bass shy recordings. It seems today's engineers are more consistent and aware of room effects that may occur in their little engineering room behind the glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 01-21-15, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yes. May be it is better to just have different eq for different songs, store them with the song in the music player like Fubar2000 or such and then the song will use that when being played.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-21-15, 01:52 PM

I didn't know you could do that. Seems like a nice option for music lacking in certain frequencies.
Will have a look at the Fubar2000.

post #14 of 19 Old 01-21-15, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I don't know either. I was making a comment that it would be nice if we could do that. There are several players in the market. I will search Google to see if anyone have the capability to store custom equalizer with each song.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-22-15, 12:26 AM

Would this be the same as mastering software - to re-engineer the piece ??
post #16 of 19 Old 01-22-15, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Brenda wrote: View Post
Would this be the same as mastering software - to re-engineer the piece ??
That is definitely a possibility. But I am sure some players will allow us to same EQ file with the song.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-22-15, 12:49 PM
Elite Shackster
Wayne Myers

Foobar2000 will allow EQ via built-in graphic eq or vst plugin with parametric or convolution eq, have not seen how it would allow different eq setting per song. I think a different setting per volume setting would more than cover it, just my opinion.

JRiver, OTOH, has more extensive capability to customize settings in different ways, might do just what you want. Not sure about that, though.

As others have commented, Dynamic EQ can mess with imaging, causing images to shift as volume levels change. Not a glaring problem, but noticeable, and if you are particular about imaging and soundstage, it can be distracting.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-22-15, 04:57 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I have not looked, but I would be surprised if someone does not make software that amounts to a continuously variable loudness contour or at least a lookup table system like is used for color mapping in video systems.

Yamaha had a loudness contour control on their receivers and preamps back in the 80s and some liked it a lot, many people did not. It never seemed like a priority to me as any listening that I do seriously is usually at pretty similar volumes, and when not listening seriously it does not matter to me.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #19 of 19 Old 02-04-15, 08:42 PM
Shackster

Smile Re: Flat Frequency "Loudness" @ Any Volume Level

Does anyone know that the "Equal Loudness" compensation txt file. This is such as to compensate 70 phone to 80 phone or 60 phone to 80 phone. Of course those curve depends upon the acoustic condition of the room, how it recorded, loudness of the sound, like or dislike, etc. However, if those are already provided, we can easily choose them and download then into the equalizer such as miniDSP.
Yuichi