Advertisement

post #12 of 94 Old 05-18-17, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Re: Xilica 4080

Quote:
jtalden wrote: View Post
jay,
Per your interest in an optimized design, first let's first investigate the best XO frequency and slopes to achieve an LR-24 acoustic XO. If you have advice on what filter settings to use from other sources we can start with those. Lacking that, I would suggest we investigate a little ourselves. We can skip this preliminary investigation if you care to.

Setup 4080:
> Set XO filters to target value (450 Hz?). [We'll use the value of the passive XO design initially.]
> Set HPF (horn) to LR-12/450 and LPF (woofer) to LR-24/450. [initial guess of the filter slopes needed to approach an LR-24 acoustical XO.]
> If you have already set relative driver SPL levels and PEQ settings for the Khorns it is good to leave those settings active.

Setup REW:
> Neither Loopback Timing nor Acoustical Timing is needed for this analysis.
> Set sweep range 20-20k Hz

Procedure:
> Chose the speaker to measure, right or left.
> Place mic about 1.5 m from the baffle, ~36" above the floor and located on the listening axis (line-of-sight from LP to the mid horn. [This will be roughly 15 off of the speaker's central axis as the speaker is toed-in ~45 and the LP is only toed-in roughly 30. It's fine to use the speaker axis instead because the impact of this is probably trivial.]
> Measure the woofer response alone.
> Measure the mid-horn/HF horn alone.

Post the mdat of the 2 measurements here. We will be looking to see if the chosen XO filter settings results in driver responses that approach LR-24 filter shapes. We may want to change the filter settings to improve the result if needed.

After we determine the filter settings we can then proceed to set the delay needed.
Hi John,
This is absolutely what I wanted to do and thanks for your help. I started putting in settings last night very similar to my current ones, I know we will have to make changes but; I needed a starting point and figured that my current setting are as good as any to start. I will do more tonight and then this weekend will connect everything.
post #13 of 94 Old 05-21-17, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok John,
I was able to get everything connected and just put in the xovers and the slopes, WOW!!! what a difference. This already sounds better than before and I have not even touched it yet!!! The overall sound is clearer and the bass has much more authority, so I am pretty excited right now and looking forward to measurements and adjustments. As soon as I am able I will get started...
ellisr63 likes this.

post #14 of 94 Old 05-21-17, 05:35 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Jay Compton wrote: View Post
Ok John,
I was able to get everything connected and just put in the xovers and the slopes, WOW!!! what a difference. This already sounds better than before and I have not even touched it yet!!! The overall sound is clearer and the bass has much more authority, so I am pretty excited right now and looking forward to measurements and adjustments. As soon as I am able I will get started...
I might need you to do me a favor and NOT rant too much about how amazing it is... I can't afford one right now.
post #15 of 94 Old 05-22-17, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Sorry brother the ranting has just begun, i will try and keep it to a roar however. LOL!!!
post #16 of 94 Old 05-22-17, 07:00 PM

Ron

My System

Now you see why Danley uses them for their active speakers, and Studios use them.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

My Home Living room Theater
Samsung 65" FP, Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP4080, (5) JBL 8340As, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus mini pc, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, Darbee Darcet, Oppo UDP-203, and a Project RPM 1.5 Carbon turntable..
post #17 of 94 Old 05-23-17, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Yes absolutely!!! I can't wait to really start using it...
post #18 of 94 Old 05-30-17, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok John,
Back from my trip had a chance today to measure, here are the files..
post #19 of 94 Old 05-30-17, 06:52 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Jay,
Thanks for the data, but...
Per Post-8 the objective was to see if the XO settings chosen result in a favorable SPL response. Were looking to approach an LR 48 XO response shape in the actual SPL measurement. To do that we need to see the entire XO range. The instruction was to set the measurement sweep to 20-20k Hz for all 3 drivers so we can see the entire response of each driver. The sweeps used were not full range and thus the driver roll-off was truncated. The resulting data is thus not usable for this analysis. [We also must use full range sweeps for the next step also.]
> Loopback timing was applied so that is good. [We will need that for the next step and it creates no problem in this step as we are only looking at SPL response.]
> It appears you placed the mic at a usable distance for this analysis so it appears that instruction was followed.

I suggest we repeat this step
> Confirm the mic positioning.
> Confirm the 4080 XO filter settings. [Again, the LPF for the W should be set to LR-24 and the HPF for the MF horn to LR-12. Similarly set the HPF of the MR Horn to LR-24 and the HPF of the HF horn to LR-12.
> Confirm that you use these settings or provide me the actual XO filter settings you use. I need that information to evaluate if changes are advised.
> Reduce the MR and HF horn levels both about 8db so that the 3 driver SPL levels are more equal (not critical for this step, but it must be done sometime and now is a good time). We can increase the W level instead if you prefer.
> The HF horn needs to have its polarity reversed to follow common practice. We can do that now or later. That can be done with a setting in the 4080 - no need to change the wire connections. There should be an 'invert polarity' setting for each output in the 4080.
> Sweep range must be 20-20k Hz for all 3 sweeps.
> It's better to sweep and save all 3 driver measurements within one mdat file rather than 3 separate files. Please do that unless an HTS file size limit prevents posting. It should be possible to just mute the drivers as needed within the 4080 for each of the 3 sweeps. Label the measurements as; 'W, MR, TW' or similar instead of the date. Just replace the date that REW applies by default.
post #20 of 94 Old 05-30-17, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

John,
Sorry about the misunderstanding on my part. So I will make the changes and measure from 20 hz to 20 khz.

Confirm the 4080 XO filter settings. [Again, the LPF for the W should be set to LR-24 and the HPF for the MF horn to LR-12. Similarly set the HPF of the MR Horn to LR-24 and the HPF of the HF horn to LR-12.

John please explain this to me in detail, I am confused by this??? What is MF and MR? I am thinking Mid Frequency and Mid Range?

So you know the LPF is set to LR-24 on the W and the xover is at 400 hz, the HPF is set to LR-12 on the TW and the xover is at 6000 hz, Now what is it you want me to do with MF or MR??? The MD is xover at 400 hz and 6000 hz is this correct? Also you want me to invert the TW correct?

Last edited by Jay Compton; 05-31-17 at 06:10 AM.