Xilica 4080 - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #31 of 94 Old 06-01-17, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Re: Xilica 4080

John,
I only had time to do the Left channel tonight sorry, I think I have it all correct have a look. Also I just left everything setup for tomorrow, if I got this correct I will do the Right channel tomorrow during the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 Old 06-01-17, 10:36 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Thanks for the data.
Well, the measured result does not match the predicted result so there is a problem someplace. The EQ looks good and the drivers polarity is correct per the provided instruction. The delay of the MR horn is not correct however resulting in poor phase tracking and an SPL dip in the XO range. On close examination of the timing crosstalk the 3 drivers reference times do not fall on top of each other as expected. This suggests the REW loopback timing may not be working properly for some reason.

I suggest:
> Let's first confirm loopback timing is setup and working properly. Measure the MR Horn 6 times in succession still using the same 20-20k sweep. Post the file so I can confirm the impulse location of each measurement is identical.
> If the measurements do not confirm repeatability, we need to investigate further to determine where the problem is.
> When the repeatability test is successful we can we restart Step-2 delay settings from the beginning. that is, repeat the 3 driver measurements on the left channel to determine new delay recommendations.
> Since we will be starting Step 2 over you can change the mic height as needed to be on your line of sight from the LP to a point on the baffle between the 2 horns. [You indicated to me the 36" height I originally suggested was too low for your high seating position so you can make that height change now.
post #33 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok John,
Will have that done a in a few hours.

post #34 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

OK John,
Six consecutive times.
Attached Files Left MR Only.mdat (15.96 MB) 
post #35 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 12:26 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I reviewed the data and it looks okay for repeatability. Measurement #4 and #6 deviated very slightly from the other 4. Both may have been due to some ambient room noise during the measurements. I see no major problem with loopback timing repeatability in this data. The MR-horn timing however in the May-31 and Jun-01 measurements is significantly different that lead to this problem. I cannot be sure which timing is correct. Each of the 3 sessions is also slightly different in timing. Possibly that is because windows is locking onto an REW session using a slightly different latency??

The safest path forward is...
> Use one REW session for all the following measurements on the left channel. Nothing should change except the driver selected for measurement.
Measure in the following order: (do not deviate from this order)
> HF-horn
> MR-horn
> W
> HF-horn
> MR-horn
> W
> HF-horn
> MR-horn
> W

That is, measure each of the 3 drivers and then repeat that same series 3 times so there are 9 total measurement in the one file. If the file is then too large to post here you can then break the original file into 2 or 3 smaller files or even email the entire file to me directly.

This way I can confirm again that the timing is repeatable and if necessary I can also avoid using any odd measurement that appears to be corrupted in time or by noise. I will then provide new driver delay adjustments for the 4080 as needed.
post #36 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok John,
I will get started now and have the results soon.
post #37 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Here ya go.
post #38 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 06:44 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Okay the analysis is complete.
The timing of the MR-horn was wrong. It did agree with the Post-31 so it is consistent with the last set of measurement. I can only conclude that my original analysis in Post-26 was erroneous.

The adjustment needed is to the MR-horn. It needs a delay increase of 0.58 ms.

The polarities are all correct as measured.

The charts of Post-26 still apply. Below is the overall phase response.
Xilica 4080-overall-spl-phase.jpg

Now we should confirm this analysis.
Measure Left Channel with the new MR delay:
> HF-horn
> MR-horn
> W

Measure Right Channel with the new setting and the appropriate mic position:
> HF-horn
> MR-horn
> W
post #39 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok John,
That's good news!!! Now adding the delay of 0.58ms plus the 4.083 that is already in would give me a total delay of4.663 ms correct?
post #40 of 94 Old 06-02-17, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

John,
I was able to measure the final Left Channel group and then the Right Channel group. Only thing is the Xilica would not give me the 4.663 ms I needed, it gave me 4.666 ms hope that's close enough.