3Likes

post #41 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 07:45 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Xilica 4080

Quote:
Jay Compton wrote: View Post
Ok John,
That's good news!!! Now adding the delay of 0.58ms plus the 4.083 that is already in would give me a total delay of4.663 ms correct?
Jay,
Probably, but...
Are sure the current setting is 4.083? It sounds wrong based on my experience using the DCX2496. The delay is normally only adjustable to 2 decimal places. Even then the second decimal place usually skips some the numbers due to limitations of a 96000 Hz sample rate. There should be no real need to show 3 decimal places, but Your 4080 box may indeed do that.

So:
> If it really reads 4.083 then yes we want 4.083 + 0.58 = 4.663 ms [and yes then 4.666 ms is good in that case.]
> If it actually reads 4.83 we want 4.83 + 0.58 = 5.41 ms and thus the data in Post 40 is not usable.

Please reconfirm the actual settings and adjustment are correct before I do the analysis of the data in Post-40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

John,
I just sent you an email confirming the numbers.
post #43 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 09:09 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Thanks, I will analyze the new data.

post #44 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok great I'll be waiting for your results...
post #45 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 10:33 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Good!
This time we hit the exact target of post 26.

The only data adjustment I needed to do was to invert all the drivers in the right channel to match the left channel. Make this change in the 4080.

Below is the resulting comparison of the right and left channels. It appears the level of the Right TW is slightly different from the left so one level could be adjusted so that they match.
Xilica 4080-spl.jpg

Xilica 4080-phase.jpg

We are done with the confirmation of Step-2.

Your next steps are EQ related so measure the 2 channels individually from the LP in order to EQ the bass range. It is a good idea to average several measurements around the main LP for this purpose particularly if you intend to make any EQ changes above 300 Hz. A window 2' high by 3' wide one reasonable option. You can EQ the 2 channels independently <300 Hz. To the extent the bass is mixed as mono, it may be a better idea to EQ based on the both channels operating together. It is probably situation dependent.
> A good option is to EQ the <300 relatively flat initially. A well setup system may not need any significant bass boost.
> A good option is to leave the EQ unchanged >300 Hz even though at the LP there may be some peaks and dips due to room effects. We have already set a good EQ on the direct sound.
> There is nothing wrong with trying to adjust >300 if you like for comparison, but changes there should be broad and modest in level.
> You can also experiment with different house curves if the overall balance is not to your preference.

Let us know how it works out.
post #46 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 10:39 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

I intended to intended the mdat of the 2 channels:

ja Left and Right.mdat
post #47 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok John,
Thanks brother I will adjust the left TW to match the Right TW looks like -1db to me, and then I will setup to measure the speakers separately from the LP...
post #48 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

John,
You said earlier to match the polarity of the right channel to the left correct? They were already the matched in the Xilica. The attached file is what happens when I flip the right side to opposite of what they were when you looked at the files.

Last edited by Jay Compton; 06-03-17 at 01:22 PM.
post #49 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 02:14 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Is the mic at the LP now? This looks good except...

The woofers are at much higher SPL level relative to the horns when measured here at the LP. They way too high to EQ.

Remember, I had you reduce the MR and HF horns 8 dB in the 4080 in an early post when the mic was close to the speakers. I appears for the LP position we now need to increase the horns back up the about the same 8 dB. Just start there and see how it looks. If necessary adjust again as needed. The objective is to have about the same level from 300-2000 Hz. Once that level is found then you can start work to EQ the <300 range as needed.
post #50 of 94 Old 06-03-17, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Ok John,
Agreed they are much louder now then earlier, I will the adjustments...