Xilica 4080 - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #81 of 94 Old 04-07-18, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Re: Xilica 4080

Here are the results from today's measurements, lucky I only had to add one filter to get the results I wanted. Changing the tubes in my pre amp sure made a big difference in the two SPL's. The Reference Level is where I started today and the Tape Deck Level is the finished product, sounds great I am happy with the results. You can go back and look at the original SPL's that i had before the tube change to compare if you like, I think it's post #62.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 94 Old 04-08-18, 08:42 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
Jay Compton wrote: View Post
...sounds great I am happy with the results.
That's what counts - good adjustment.

FYI, The preamp alone could have been measured to directly see the impact of old vs new tubes.
post #83 of 94 Old 04-08-18, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Quote:
jtalden wrote: View Post
That's what counts - good adjustment.

FYI, The preamp alone could have been measured to directly see the impact of old vs new tubes.
Ok John,
How would I go about doing that?

post #84 of 94 Old 04-08-18, 10:30 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

• Retain the analog cable from the soundcard output to the preamp input.
  • Disable phantom power on the soundcard input.
  • Connect the preamp output to the soundcard input instead of; Xilica/Speakers/Mic.
  • Disable the mic correction file.
  • set a low preamp gain level, check levels in REW and adjust the gain to a test level.
  • Measure the channel
  • Repeat using the other preamp channel.

This just confirms the proper response of the preamp using the new tubes and provides a baseline if you later suspect there is a problem, or want to confirm that its time to replace the tubes again.
post #85 of 94 Old 04-08-18, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Hi John,
Ok I see where your going with this thanks, the reason for remeasuring was that after I changed the tubes in the pre amp I heard a dramatic difference in sound quality. The new tubes are so much more linear that it was staggering!!! Anyway it was like taking a blanket off the speakers, not that it sounded bad before because it didn't. The new sound is just that much better but it needed a touch of adjustment in the 6khz-10khz range, one filter correctly implemented worked like a charm...
Gonna listen to it this week as is and decide if it's good or needs more, my feeling is i am done!!!
post #86 of 94 Old 04-11-18, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Hi John,
Here are the results from today's measurements, hopefully this is what you wanted. Left Channel, Right Channel, then both together, now this is exactly the same as when we finished the work last year only the tube change is different.
Attached Files Test 4 11 18.mdat (9.29 MB) 
post #87 of 94 Old 04-12-18, 01:29 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Jay,
See the Impulse overlay chart below. The right and left channels have opposite polarity again. We had this problem before and you found the it was a TS rather than a TRS adaptor you were using if I remember correctly. The channels were actually the same polarity but the measuring system inverted the right channel measurement. This may be the problem again?

The "Both" SPL is suppressed and that is also indicative of the same issue.

Xilica 4080-post-86-impulse.jpg
post #88 of 94 Old 04-12-18, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

John,
Ok I will check the wires used I may have used the wrong ones but, I thought I through the other ones out so this wouldn't happen again. I will get back to you soon enough thanks brother.

Jay
post #89 of 94 Old 04-12-18, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

jcmusic

Hey John,
I am using the correct TRS connector, so I must have changed a setting in the interface without realizing. I am sure though that I didn't change anything I guess I messed up when checking the levels, I was having trouble at first. sorr man i need to go through the whole thing again to be sure I have it right. Weird sometime I get this stuff easy but when something goes wrong I am at a loss as to why...
post #90 of 94 Old 04-13-18, 02:02 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

If you have any problem identifying the measurement problem, let us know what soundcard and wiring you are using for the measurements. I have forgotten your situation.

You can also just use the current Left and Right measurements to calculate the "Both" measurement. That will be the most reliable method anyway. If the mic is not centered perfectly using a sweep measurement for "Both", it will result in the high frequency not being shown accurately.

To combine them in REW first invert the right impulse. Then align the left and right impulses in time. [This 2nd step was not necessary this time as they are already aligned correctly by REW.] Then use REW Arithmetic A + B to get the correct result. The result of that is shown below. I also attached the modified mdat file.

Xilica 4080-post-90-spl.jpg

Post-86ja.mdat