Pb-2000 output much lower when using MiniDSP - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-18, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Pb-2000 output much lower when using MiniDSP

Hello everyone, I recently bought two SVS pb-2000 subwoofers to try out to see if I want to upgrade from the dual pb-1000's that I currently run. I've had some success taming some massive peaks that I get in my listening room with my MiniDSP 2x4 (not the HD version) and my dual pb-1000s.

I don't currently have measurements available to post, but could do so this evening, but I ran into an odd issue last night and can't seem to make sense of it.

So last night I hooked up the MiniDSP from my receivers sub out into the input 1 channel of the minidsp and then ran the RCA wires from output 1 and 2 to each pb-2000. I then applied the filters I created in REW which basically took down the 20-40 Hz peak about 8-10 dB. I then applied a slight 3 or 6 dB boost to the 50-70 Hz range hoping to get a little more mid bass impact out of them.

I had my receiver set to -5 on the subwoofer out level and had the gain settings on the subs themselves around 12 o'clock. Also I bypassed the crossover settings in the minidsp to let the receiver handle that.

What's weird is that once I hooked my subs up with the minidsp in the chain, the subwoofer output dropped dramatically. Granted, I have not gone back and tried to test how things sound with the minidsp in my chain but no filters applied, I tried measuring in REW again and was getting nothing out of my subs.

I then tried adjusting the sub out level in my receiver to 0 instead of -5 and turned the subwoofer gain to 3 o'clock instead of 12. This seemed to bring the bass back up to an acceptable level.

I'm just curious if anyone knows why this could be. I didn't seem to have any issues with output differences with my pb-1000s, granted I did have them always set at 0 in the AVR sub out level and the gain turned to roughly two o'clock with those from the get go due to their smaller output.

I was assuming that there wouldn't be any loss of power when running the minidsp with my pb-2000 setup aside from the frequency's that I cut.

Am I missing something here? I can post graphs tonight and my minidsp settings if that would be helpful. Thanks!

Edit : I should also mention that I'm using the minidsp 2x4 2.1 advanced plug in which isn't ideal for this situation but I was able to make work before with up to 3 subwoofers at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-18, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Pb-2000 output much lower when using MiniDSP

So after further reading on the forum I think I've answered my own question... I guess because I'm cutting I'm losing output across the board and having to compensate by running the signal higher. I am going to hook up my two pb-1000s tonight as well and see how it smooths things out with 4 subs instead of 2. Hopefully reducing the amount of EQ I will need to do. The problem is then I will probably be very tempted to not send those back to SVS as part of the trade in and be footing the $1400 bill for the two pb-2000s lol my girlfriend will be thrilled....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-18, 05:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Your own answer to your question is correct. It’s typical (and logical) that if you cut a peak in response, your overall level will be reduced. That’s because your previous level was based on that peak.

Regards,
Wayne
BudgetAudiophile likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #4 of 4 Old 05-02-18, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Wayne A. Pflughaupt wrote: View Post
Your own answer to your question is correct. Itís typical (and logical) that if you cut a peak in response, your overall level will be reduced. Thatís because your previous level was based on that peak.

Regards,
Wayne
Indeed actually some of your posts were what I read so thanks for your help!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk